If i take my harddrive out....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BIGBUZZ55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BIGBUZZ55
Member since 2004 • 1378 Posts

just to take a look at it on my computer (i just wanna mess around a bit), and then put it back in my ps3, will my ps3 turn on just as if i had never done so?

it did this weird thing maybe two month ago when i turned it on and had to 'retrieve the data'. and i don't want it to do that again because it took forever to reorganize my music. like literally ages. but i just wanna take a look at my ps3's hard drive on a computer using my hard drive enclosure. so do i run any risks or not?

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

I took mine out and everything was fine.

But your not going to be able to do anything with it when its hooked up to your PC, just the option to reformat it.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts

Dont do it!
It will format your HDD

BIGBUZZ55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BIGBUZZ55

i think thats so weird considering i can take my laptop's hd out, plug it into my pc, and then put it back in my laptop without any harm done

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
There both completely different formats. The PC wants to format it to understand it. Im not sure what the ps3 formats it to but i know its different to a PC.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
There both completely different formats. The PC wants to format it to understand it. Im not sure what the ps3 formats it to but i know its different to a PC.cooldust
Bingo! The same thing happens if you buy a brand new HDD and put it into your PS3, the very first thing it will do is format it. If you hook up your HDD to your PC you can bet the same thing is going to happen.
rikguenther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 rikguenther
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
[QUOTE="cooldust"]There both completely different formats. The PC wants to format it to understand it. Im not sure what the ps3 formats it to but i know its different to a PC.Ninja_Zombie83
Bingo! The same thing happens if you buy a brand new HDD and put it into your PS3, the very first thing it will do is format it. If you hook up your HDD to your PC you can bet the same thing is going to happen.

kill me if i'm wrong, but don't you have to format the HDD to fat32 to make it work on the PS3? every version of windows above win95 can recognize fat32. is it some special version of fat32?
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"][QUOTE="cooldust"]There both completely different formats. The PC wants to format it to understand it. Im not sure what the ps3 formats it to but i know its different to a PC.rikguenther

kill me if i'm wrong, but don't you have to format the HDD to fat32 to make it work on the PS3? every version of windows above win95 can recognize fat32. is it some special version of fat32?

they can only do up to 32gb though

BIGBUZZ55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BIGBUZZ55
[QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"][QUOTE="cooldust"]There both completely different formats. The PC wants to format it to understand it. Im not sure what the ps3 formats it to but i know its different to a PC.rikguenther

i was thinking along these lines as well. my original 40gig that came outta my ps3 fuctions perfectly as an external ever since i put it into an external enclosure...
rikguenther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 rikguenther
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

[QUOTE="rikguenther"][QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"] Bingo! The same thing happens if you buy a brand new HDD and put it into your PS3, the very first thing it will do is format it. If you hook up your HDD to your PC you can bet the same thing is going to happen. TehSonofUgly

no, windows nt 5.0 and on can only format up to 32gb, a fat32 partition can be, technically, up to 2tb functionally in size. Theoretically speaking, you can have a fat32 partition up to around 8tb without a boot sector.

EDIT: forgot to mention, fat32 can only handle a maximum individual filesize of about 4gb.

BIGBUZZ55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BIGBUZZ55

[QUOTE="TehSonofUgly"]

[QUOTE="rikguenther"] kill me if i'm wrong, but don't you have to format the HDD to fat32 to make it work on the PS3? every version of windows above win95 can recognize fat32. is it some special version of fat32?rikguenther

no, windows nt 5.0 and on can only format up to 32gb, a fat32 partition can be, technically, up to 2tb functionally in size. Theoretically speaking, you can have a fat32 partition up to around 8tb without a boot sector.

EDIT: forgot to mention, fat32 can only handle a maximum individual filesize of about 4gb.

DUDE thats why my harddrive wont let accept one of my mkv's when i got to put it on there!?! thank you. i was freaking livid when it was telling me there wasn't room for it when the math clearly stated otherwise...