Iam I the only one that thinks cds/dvds are flawed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 00472388
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Don't have a ps3 yet but I hear that blu ray disk are hard to scratch.  I have gears of war(bought xmas) and it already has scratches and a crack u would just think as long as cds and dvds been out they would figure out how to prevent them from scratching so easily.
DreamworkS12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DreamworkS12
Member since 2003 • 768 Posts
Hmm, I never really thought about it, but yeah... as much as I've man-handled my copy of Resistance, there are no noticable scratches on the disc. COOL!
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BlacKJaCK2290
Member since 2005 • 1775 Posts
They are not flawed. If you take care of them and handle them like instructed you will never have a problem with them. Example, i've been told numerous times my discs look like they have never been played.
ColinSharpe25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ColinSharpe25
Member since 2003 • 137 Posts
i know what u mean i boutgh guitar hero 2 last week put it right in my ps2 and it stopped working after 2 days. so i took the disc out and looked at it, and there were scratches all over it, there werent any when i put it in. i hate discs.... for some reason the game works in my ps3 but doesnt work in ethier of the ps2s i own. to bad theres no controler port in the ps3 for my guitar.
DreamworkS12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DreamworkS12
Member since 2003 • 768 Posts
They are not flawed. If you take care of them and handle them like instructed you will never have a problem with them. Example, i've been told numerous times my discs look like they have never been played.BlacKJaCK2290
Well not everyone is a domineering paranoid, and if you're a little clumsy sometimes like me, it can be overwhelmingly easy to scratch a CD/DVD.
ColinSharpe25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ColinSharpe25
Member since 2003 • 137 Posts
They are not flawed. If you take care of them and handle them like instructed you will never have a problem with them. Example, i've been told numerous times my discs look like they have never been played.BlacKJaCK2290
iv seen the scratches my 360 and ps2 can put on discs, neither of my gtas (i own them all) work in my ps2,, i had to bring condemed and need for speed underground back,,, i dont know if its from playing a game for more then 10 hours straight or leaving the game on but it blows when ur system scratches ur discs
spliffchillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spliffchillum
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts
Don't have a ps3 yet but I hear that blu ray disk are hard to scratch.  I have gears of war(bought xmas) and it already has scratches and a crack u would just think as long as cds and dvds been out they would figure out how to prevent them from scratching so easily.00472388
they also look cool.. I have MI3 and Saw3 on blueray and the discs's are seethrough with a blue tint..
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 DylanDJK
Member since 2005 • 2001 Posts

[QUOTE="00472388"]Don't have a ps3 yet but I hear that blu ray disk are hard to scratch.  I have gears of war(bought xmas) and it already has scratches and a crack u would just think as long as cds and dvds been out they would figure out how to prevent them from scratching so easily.spliffchillum
they also look cool.. I have MI3 and Saw3 on blueray and the discs's are seethrough with a blue tint..

I LOVE doing that! Teh tranparentnezz!!!1111!!! Yea its VERY hard to scratch blu ray compared to DVD, but that doesnt mean the PS3 doesnt scratch easy :(.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 00472388
Just makes u think if its done by design, it just seems like there not trying to solve that problem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 00472388
I remember cartridges u can beat those things up and they will still work.
Avatar image for -_Aceofspades_-
-_Aceofspades_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -_Aceofspades_-
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
lol, catrridges, those could be thrown, stepped on, everything and they would still work...
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
I have had CDs and DVDs for years. I have never broke one or scratched it so bad it couldn't be used. If you have done this with your Gears of War DVD, then you are doing something wrong.
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts

thats true but sometimes when your board of a game or in a hurry you just leav it out and it gets dusty and smudged

maurju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 maurju
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts
They could change it ;but they bank on people damaging them, more sales. its a business idea not a design flaw. I' am hoping sony continues to make blu-ray durable. 
rabbidcrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rabbidcrazy
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I'm not sure if they are flawed. I know you have to keep ULTRA good care of them though. I still have Sega CD and PS1 games that are in mint condition. How are they still in mint condition?

#1. I never touched the surface... not even as a kid. I only touch the sides of a disc.
#2. I never leave the disc out. It's either in the system or in the case.
#3. I never let anyone borrow my favorite games. (I like my friends... but I dont trust them not to scratch my discs).

_Cab0ose87_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Cab0ose87_
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts

lol, catrridges, those could be thrown, stepped on, everything and they would still work...-_Aceofspades_-

Amen, Brother.

bored88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bored88
Member since 2004 • 4978 Posts
I have lots of scrateched and even cracked DVDs but they still work. A scratch isn't a problem unless it won't play.
Avatar image for speedjunkie1992
speedjunkie1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 speedjunkie1992
Member since 2006 • 1395 Posts
I think its because consoles such as the PS2 and xbox 360 have a tray to load the discs into the console and the process of taking the disc from the tray to the reader may scratch the disc slightly and if the disc is left in the machine when it is not used, that may cause scratches as well. PS3 has a slot loader so there isn't much cafuffle when loading the disc in.
sulimanhustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 sulimanhustler
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts
Blu-ray is good I had Gundum so I hated it my friends came over for me to destroy it I rubbed it against the capet not one scatch. So I just sold it. DVD's do not have the special layer Blu-ray has. But still be careful. Theese things are not suppose to survive a knife.
emeritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emeritus
Member since 2003 • 859 Posts
I dont understand how you can scratch CD/DVD's

If all you do is put it in the machine then put it back in its case after use, I've had 100's of them and and I've had none of them scratch or break on me.

I admit that if you have kids, younger siblings or whatever they may not fully understand how the discs work but dvd's are a lot easier to look after then magnetic tapes.. kids love pulling tapes apart, destroying classic movies from yesteryear.
CornellAdamO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 CornellAdamO
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts
Anyone who doesn't think that standard dvd's and cd's are flawed clearly does not rent anything on a regular basis.  Yes, it seems easy enough to not scratch them, but when a place like blockbuster rents them out to any lousy inconsiderate hick that comes through the door, they get damaged.  I used to rent games and movies fairly regularly in college, and I would have to return unplayable discs 25-30% of the time.  Now, I take good care of the ones I own, but there are no guarantees when they have passed through hundreds of hands.  This is why I am so happy with blu-ray.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 00472388
My GOW is now DOA my guess is that the case, the inner release caused a hair line fracture and the disc rotating inside the drive(along with heat) caused it to get worse, wonder it they will take it as a trade.  I would like to find out how durable are blu ray disc.
janzaruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 janzaruk
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts
Anyone who doesn't think that standard dvd's and cd's are flawed clearly does not rent anything on a regular basis.  Yes, it seems easy enough to not scratch them, but when a place like blockbuster rents them out to any lousy inconsiderate hick that comes through the door, they get damaged.  I used to rent games and movies fairly regularly in college, and I would have to return unplayable discs 25-30% of the time.  Now, I take good care of the ones I own, but there are no guarantees when they have passed through hundreds of hands.  This is why I am so happy with blu-ray.CornellAdamO
Agreed.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
Mine, too.  CD's and DVD's changed video games for the positive.  Blu-Ray is just going to carry on that legacy.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

[QUOTE="CornellAdamO"]Anyone who doesn't think that standard dvd's and cd's are flawed clearly does not rent anything on a regular basis.  Yes, it seems easy enough to not scratch them, but when a place like blockbuster rents them out to any lousy inconsiderate hick that comes through the door, they get damaged.  I used to rent games and movies fairly regularly in college, and I would have to return unplayable discs 25-30% of the time.  Now, I take good care of the ones I own, but there are no guarantees when they have passed through hundreds of hands.  This is why I am so happy with blu-ray.janzaruk
Agreed.

That's not a problem inherent with CD's and DVD's.  That's even more a problem with a general lack of respect for the property of other people than it is with the viability of optical media.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts
They could change it ;but they bank on people damaging them, more sales. its a business idea not a design flaw. I' am hoping sony continues to make blu-ray durable. maurju
You conspiracy theorists are hilarious.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 snyper1982
I think its because consoles such as the PS2 and xbox 360 have a tray to load the discs into the console and the process of taking the disc from the tray to the reader may scratch the disc slightly and if the disc is left in the machine when it is not used, that may cause scratches as well. PS3 has a slot loader so there isn't much cafuffle when loading the disc in.speedjunkie1992
I always here this crap about scratching the disc by leaving it in the system.... How exactly is it supposed to scratch the game by leaving it in the system? It isn't like it is doing anything other than sitting there. MAYBE if you move it while the disc is in there....
Avatar image for speedjunkie1992
speedjunkie1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 speedjunkie1992
Member since 2006 • 1395 Posts
[QUOTE="speedjunkie1992"]I think its because consoles such as the PS2 and xbox 360 have a tray to load the discs into the console and the process of taking the disc from the tray to the reader may scratch the disc slightly and if the disc is left in the machine when it is not used, that may cause scratches as well. PS3 has a slot loader so there isn't much cafuffle when loading the disc in.snyper1982
I always here this crap about scratching the disc by leaving it in the system.... How exactly is it supposed to scratch the game by leaving it in the system? It isn't like it is doing anything other than sitting there. MAYBE if you move it while the disc is in there....

Ye, i only said it because someone else had. Worst scratches are when you have the system on and you tilt it which is what happened to my mates 360 and his disc has huge scratch grooves in it now.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 snyper1982
My GOW is now DOA my guess is that the case, the inner release caused a hair line fracture and the disc rotating inside the drive(along with heat) caused it to get worse, wonder it they will take it as a trade. I would like to find out how durable are blu ray disc.00472388
Why not call support and get a new one? It would be better than getting rapped by trading it in to Gamestop or other such stores.
tonyandsteff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tonyandsteff
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

lol, catrridges, those could be thrown, stepped on, everything and they would still work...-_Aceofspades_-

do you guys remember the old nintendo games that wouldnt work UNLESS you threw it against a wall or punched it at least once?????

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Don't have a ps3 yet but I hear that blu ray disk are hard to scratch.  I have gears of war(bought xmas) and it already has scratches and a crack u would just think as long as cds and dvds been out they would figure out how to prevent them from scratching so easily.00472388

Blu-Ray & HD-DVD have to be specially coated over and over and over again because they are so easy to scratch. Unlike DVD's or CD's, where a minor scratch won't usually prevent the CD/DVD from playing perfect, a minor scratch on a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray can easily prevent it from playing. Even with the special coating Blu-Ray & HD-DVD's can be scratched. I think all media formats are flawed in some way or another. Hard drives, floppy disks are all flawed as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 00472388
Who do I call?
spliffchillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spliffchillum
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts
Who do I call?00472388
Ghostbusters!
Jayvan_JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jayvan_JJ
Member since 2006 • 1044 Posts
Who do I call?00472388
You call the zombies...Blu-Ray Discs are the best...