I want internet, so I have a question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BidFarewell
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

We only have a wired cable modem hooked up to the computer right now and I want internet on my PS3 in the basement. Now, if I can find some sort of splitter that can make it to where I can have one ethernet cable running to the computer and the other going into my PS3... will that work? My dad said it won't, but he doesn't know much about computers, so I wanted to ask here.

Another thing, I've done scans for wireless around my internet and I have about 3 different connections that I can access while in the basement.They don't have WEP keys, either. But when I try to test the connection it never finds an IP address. So I gave up on that. I thought I'd resort to splitting the connection between the computer and my PS3.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Hmm I never heard of an ethernet splitter.But you can buy 50+ foot ethernet cables.Or go and buy a cheap wireless router.
BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BidFarewell
How cheap are we talking? 'Cause we don't have money at all. And would it reach my room in the basement right under the computer room? If it were cheap, that is.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 K1LLR3175
Well here are some Wireless routers on Amazon.They range in alot of different prices.And here are some 100 foot Ethernet cables.
BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BidFarewell
Yeah, I can't even afford the $29 one haha.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 K1LLR3175
Yeah, I can't even afford the $29 one haha.BidFarewell
Ohh.Alright.Well then you might be out of luck until you get some more money.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 K1LLR3175
Wait I did find ethernet splitters lol.They are about 15 bucks a piece.You might just want to buy one of those long ethernet cords though.
BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BidFarewell
Alright, thanks for your help. :)
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 K1LLR3175
No problem.I hope that you can get your PS3 online soon.
BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BidFarewell
Oh me too. I'm tired of dragging it upstairs to play online.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 K1LLR3175
Oh me too. I'm tired of dragging it upstairs to play online.BidFarewell
I am pretty sure things will look up for you money wise and wireless internet wise soon.
BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BidFarewell
Thanks. I hope so.
sevansoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 sevansoares
Member since 2005 • 685 Posts
[QUOTE="BidFarewell"]

We only have a wired cable modem hooked up to the computer right now and I want internet on my PS3 in the basement. Now, if I can find some sort of splitter that can make it to where I can have one ethernet cable running to the computer and the other going into my PS3... will that work? My dad said it won't, but he doesn't know much about computers, so I wanted to ask here.

Another thing, I've done scans for wireless around my internet and I have about 3 different connections that I can access while in the basement.They don't have WEP keys, either. But when I try to test the connection it never finds an IP address. So I gave up on that. I thought I'd resort to splitting the connection between the computer and my PS3.

I think you should get a wifi router and set up your own wifi network in order for it to work. Good luck.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
[QUOTE="BidFarewell"]

A modem will not allow you to "split" your connection, unless it's a modem/router combo like verizon and a few other ISP's offer. Your options are to either get a wired router and then route an ethernet cord to your ps3, or IMO, the better option is to get a wireless modem. Your PS3 has build in wifi, so you could do it for less then $70.
sevansoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sevansoares
[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"][QUOTE="BidFarewell"]

A modem will not allow you to "split" your connection, unless it's a modem/router combo like verizon and a few other ISP's offer. Your options are to either get a wired router and then route an ethernet cord to your ps3, or IMO, the better option is to get a wireless modem. Your PS3 has build in wifi, so you could do it for less then $70.

I'd recommend a Linksys router myself.
rayjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rayjapan
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts

BidFarewell

Hi,

I've never used a splitter before, but my guess is there should be a switch somewhere so that only one is used at a time. My *guess* is that you can't use both the PC and the PS3 to connect to the internet at the same time. I guess they would get the same IP address and things would get confusing...i.e., I don't think you'll break your PC or PS3, but it just won't work. I've used a splitter with telephone lines and that's ok...but if one was a fax and then the other side picked up the phone, whatever that was being sent gets mixed up. My guess is that this applies to splittng an ethernet cable, too...

If your Internet comes with a router [some internet providers include one; others have it but disable all but one port until you pay them more...], then just get an extension cable and then both can connect at the same time.

sevansoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sevansoares
[QUOTE="rayjapan"][QUOTE="BidFarewell"]

Hi,

I've never used a splitter before, but my guess is there should be a switch somewhere so that only one is used at a time. My *guess* is that you can't use both the PC and the PS3 to connect to the internet at the same time. I guess they would get the same IP address and things would get confusing...i.e., I don't think you'll break your PC or PS3, but it just won't work. I've used a splitter with telephone lines and that's ok...but if one was a fax and then the other side picked up the phone, whatever that was being sent gets mixed up. My guess is that this applies to splittng an ethernet cable, too...

If your Internet comes with a router [some internet providers include one; others have it but disable all but one port until you pay them more...], then just get an extension cable and then both can connect at the same time.

If it's cablemodem it won't work, since you'd need two modems. But you could always connect a hub or router to your modem and then two ethernet cables from there, one for your Ps3 and the other for your pc, that should work, both devices should work at the same time. Or you could always take advantage of the Ps3's integrated wifi card and get a wifi router and you're done.
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

First of all, check with your internet provider. Some of them will give (lease) you a router if you tell them that you want / need home networking.

Secondly, what you refer to as an ethernet splitter is actually a ethernet switch , or an hub which are now commonly built into routers. Since pricing is an issue, I'd reccommend getting a switch at a gamming store or from ebay if your ISP won't give you a router.