I think I'm giving up on online shooters...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

You know what I miss? Counter Strike Source. That game was awesome. Back in 2001 it came out on PC, and it had everything, from good graphics, to amazing maps, to good gunplay, and only one single annoying weapon. Ever since then, I have missed shooters that had only a single glaring flaw. So I've been picking up shooters recently, since they're said to have the most longevity due to online play. But man oh man, after both CoD: Modern Warfares and BF:BC2 (the proclaimed best shooters on the system) I am damn ready to swear off online shooters for good.

I'm not going to bash CoD: MW2, because that game is just a perpetual insult to itself. It looks good, but that's about it. Tactics were stripped away in favor of run and gun gameplay remniscent of the other system's flagship game, the killstreak rewards were absurdly overpowered and the spawn system was laughable, considering I would average at least 7-8 spawn deaths (I died within at least 4 seconds of spawning) per game. THAT is a broken game, imo, and no amount of pretty graphics can save it.

I want to talk about Bad Company 2, because that has the makings of a really good game, with some really annoying gameplay quirks in it's system. When I played the first Bad Company, I was relatively impressed. Great destruction, satisfying gunplay, and lag free online... and then I realized that I didn't want to play online. The main problem was that it was an attack and defend based system, and that is one of the ****iest setups for an online game nowadays. Nine times out of ten, the attackers are all CoD players who treat the game like Team Death Match, so they just zerg in, getting as many kills as they can before they die, instead of trying to complete the objectives. Likewise, some defending players would run to the end of their very short leash to stand waiting for attacking players, who were occasionally smart enough to sneak around them and plant charges, and EVEN THEN defenders wouldn't return to defend, because they can't figure out that losing the game is a BAD THING. It's all about kills....

Bad Company 2 has the same pitfall. In the main game mode, Rush, most people treat it like TDM, with the small caviot being that the defenders can't lose. So the attackers zerg, and the few intelligent attack team members try to coordinate a strategic invasion, but the morons zerging use up all their lives, and that's the end of that. That's problem number one.

Problem number two is the sniping. Okay, I get bullet drop. I understand why it's in the game. But let me ask you this: Why can an assault rifle shoot farther than a sniper with no bullet drop? Why is it easier to shoot enemies long range with an iron sights weapon than with a sniper? I never thought I would encounter a sniping mechanic that made me MISS sniper sway.

I could go one, but it's actually really late where I am, so let me just say this. Each game has a gimmick. Call of Duty lies in the name and breathtaking graphics, Bad Company in the destructible environments, but there seems to be a small issue with that. I mean... shouldn't they be known for revolutionizing the genre? Apparently not....

TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

Online shooters are good for a laugh but I got so tired of them very quickly. Playing CoD4 when I first got my PS3 I was amazed at playing it online on a console. Before that, my online shoot 'em up addiction was Return of Castle Wolfenstein on the PC.

Now I can't see the point. Spawn, run, shoot, die. Repeat. It grates on you after awhile. I recently bought MAG because I enjoyed the BETA but again I sold it for Yakuza 3 because online shooters get so tiresome.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
From the one match I played off MAG at a friends house was pretty fun, you gotta stick with your squad and be somewhat cooperative. You may not have any online console FPSs that interest you. Many people play Counter Strike still, or go get TF2 off steam.
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
Counter Strike Source came out in 2004 FYI.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
For starters it is a video game so don't expect total 100% realism and second if you get a good squad you can pretty much over come anything. Random people will always do idiotic things that you don't want them too. I've played with great people in a squad before and we dominated the objectives, thus winning the game. At the end of the day it is all about having fun though.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I think you will change your mind if you played with some close friends. Changes the entire experience. But most people are not that lucky, and have to settle for online freaks. Jk :P
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Im not giving up on them cause I stink "like the TC..;)"..but im not playing them hardly ever online or off these days. I have been playing FPS since 1999 and Im just plain tired of them. PLUS I get far to compeditive and its not good for my heart..

These days..I play Dragon Age, Little Big Planet, Sacred2, Uncharted2,...and once in a while, I brake out Resistance 2 for my FPS fix. AND my next game im buying is 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jettero-Heller
Member since 2002 • 4289 Posts

You're in a PS3 forum complaining about "online shooters" and make no mention of MAG at all. I take it you haven't played it then. Ironic that the two games upsetting you aren't even "online shooters" as much as they are shooters with an "online" component added on. Thread = fail. You need to try an "online shooter" asap & get your groove back. PS3 actually HAS what you're looking for & it's improving all the time. Stop wasting your time with Mcshooters already.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

You're in a PS3 forum complaining about "online shooters" and make no mention of MAG at all. I take it you haven't played it then. Ironic that the two games upsetting you aren't even "online shooters" as much as they are shooters with an "online" component added on. Thread = fail. You need to try an "online shooter" asap & get your groove back. PS3 actually HAS what you're looking for & it's improving all the time. Stop wasting your time with Mcshooters already.

Jettero-Heller
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, especially for MW2, the single player is just a commodity, the game is all about the multiplayer. For the TC it sounds like the biggest problem with multiplayer is the people who play it and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

I think the most annoying thing about the snipers is that everybody and their mothers play as recon. Ok I understand you want to snipe people cause it's the "cool" thing to do, but once you see that your and the 3 other squads are all the same class you might want to think about, oh I don't know, trying to plant the charge instead of sniping people. A couple snipers can help more than 3 squads full of them.

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

You know what I miss? Counter Strike Source. That game was awesome. Back in 2001 it came out on PC, and it had everything, from good graphics, to amazing maps, to good gunplay, and only one single annoying weapon. Ever since then, I have missed shooters that had only a single glaring flaw. So I've been picking up shooters recently, since they're said to have the most longevity due to online play. But man oh man, after both CoD: Modern Warfares and BF:BC2 (the proclaimed best shooters on the system) I am damn ready to swear off online shooters for good.

I'm not going to bash CoD: MW2, because that game is just a perpetual insult to itself. It looks good, but that's about it. Tactics were stripped away in favor of run and gun gameplay remniscent of the other system's flagship game, the killstreak rewards were absurdly overpowered and the spawn system was laughable, considering I would average at least 7-8 spawn deaths (I died within at least 4 seconds of spawning) per game. THAT is a broken game, imo, and no amount of pretty graphics can save it.

I want to talk about Bad Company 2, because that has the makings of a really good game, with some really annoying gameplay quirks in it's system. When I played the first Bad Company, I was relatively impressed. Great destruction, satisfying gunplay, and lag free online... and then I realized that I didn't want to play online. The main problem was that it was an attack and defend based system, and that is one of the ****iest setups for an online game nowadays. Nine times out of ten, the attackers are all CoD players who treat the game like Team Death Match, so they just zerg in, getting as many kills as they can before they die, instead of trying to complete the objectives. Likewise, some defending players would run to the end of their very short leash to stand waiting for attacking players, who were occasionally smart enough to sneak around them and plant charges, and EVEN THEN defenders wouldn't return to defend, because they can't figure out that losing the game is a BAD THING. It's all about kills....

Bad Company 2 has the same pitfall. In the main game mode, Rush, most people treat it like TDM, with the small caviot being that the defenders can't lose. So the attackers zerg, and the few intelligent attack team members try to coordinate a strategic invasion, but the morons zerging use up all their lives, and that's the end of that. That's problem number one.

Problem number two is the sniping. Okay, I get bullet drop. I understand why it's in the game. But let me ask you this: Why can an assault rifle shoot farther than a sniper with no bullet drop? Why is it easier to shoot enemies long range with an iron sights weapon than with a sniper? I never thought I would encounter a sniping mechanic that made me MISS sniper sway.

I could go one, but it's actually really late where I am, so let me just say this. Each game has a gimmick. Call of Duty lies in the name and breathtaking graphics, Bad Company in the destructible environments, but there seems to be a small issue with that. I mean... shouldn't they be known for revolutionizing the genre? Apparently not....

Essian
Lol mw2 is the tactics king, you fail bad if you run n gun all the time.
Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jettero-Heller

[QUOTE="Jettero-Heller"]

Sepewrath

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, especially for MW2, the single player is just a commodity, the game is all about the multiplayer. For the TC it sounds like the biggest problem with multiplayer is the people who play it and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Agreed with the MW2 part now that I think back on the review. I was simply pointing out that a thread entitled "Online Shooters" in a PS3 discussionthat goes on to describe the samedisapointment expressed by a significant # MW2 players WITHOUT mentioning MAG seems a little empty. The MAG forums are full of former MW2 and yes even some BFBC2 players describing how much happier they are with MAG. It offers all the things he is missing in the other titles. I take back my "thread = fail" comment from above. He was simply expressing disapointment & I was simply suggesting he need to try MAG if the faults he listed are really bothering him. It's no guarantee that he will LIKE MAG but he should at least try renting in case he falls in love with it like so many others have.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#13 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Its your opinion overall.

I think MW2 is a brilliant multiplayer game, and its only letdown is ridiculous cheats and ruin it for everyone.

The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

I felt the same exact way as you, but gave the genre one last chance when I bought MAG about a month ago. Needless to say, I'm hooked. I am having so much fun with it because I found a clan of great people to play with. It is especially satisfying to work as a team and attack and destroy an enemy base. I suck at killing people so I act as the medic and engineer. It's good to know that in an online FPS, a player like me can still be an integral part of a successful team. This is the first FPS I've played where the players work together to rally for wins rather than compete for kills and points.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Lol mw2 is the tactics king, you fail bad if you run n gun all the time.Megaman5364

Uh...what? :?

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Essian

[QUOTE="Megaman5364"]Lol mw2 is the tactics king, you fail bad if you run n gun all the time.Ospov

Uh...what? :?

pretty much my reaction to that post.... anyway, to someone earlier, yes I'm sorry, CS: Source DID come out in 2004, not 2001 as I incorrectly stated earlier, sorry about that. Also, someone above said that MW2 and BC2 were single player games primarily with a solid online component, but it was not the main focus.... you're NOT serious, right? MW2 and BC2 may have solid single player campaigns, but the selling point of both titles is the multiplayer. Furthermore, I have tried other games, including Warhawk, Killzone, and Uncharted 2, but I have neglected to try MAG because from what I have come to understand, either you join the SVER organization, or you get mowed down by the SVER organization. There is no balance between the three factions, and SVER holds all the cards, and I didn't feel like playing a game taht STARTED OUT imbalanced, because what are the odds of getting into a balanced match if the very set up has a lack of it?
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

One annoying weapon in CS? Let me guess...AWP?

Are you one of the people who would CONSTANTLY whine about the AWP?

I use to love making kids like you cry when I walked into a server and just ***** slapped you all with the AWP. Fact remains any good player could take out an AWP user with any of the rifles or with an AWP themselves. It just took skill.

I will agree that Counter Strike is the greatest FPS ever made. It also had the best competitive online gaming community EVER. It was called "CAL" also known as Cyber Athletic League.

LOL @ the AWP crybabies from CS.

darkhart7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkhart7
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

I can only speak for the games Ive played on the PS3 since I had it, which was a little before MW2's release :P On that note, I was addicted to MW2 online for a long time then it died down some, rode the MAG train for about a month, sold that, got back into MW2 and enjoying the hell out of BC2. Playing with friends, I agree, makes it a much more worthwhile experience. There are some things broken with MW2 (seems like I'm running into more and more nuke boosters recently) but its just addictive as the bad stuff doesnt happen all the time.

Overall there are some things that get you annoyed every once in a while but for me, the good outweighs the bad in terms of a little mindless fun.

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KapG

[QUOTE="Essian"]

Megaman5364

Lol mw2 is the tactics king, you fail bad if you run n gun all the time.

LOL you don't even know what tactics are until you have played competitive counter strike on maps like Cbble, dust2, train, nuke, aztec, cpl_mill.

LOL...MW2 tactics king...LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KapG

Also, the Counter Strike 1.3-1.6 > than Counter Strike: Source.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Essian

One annoying weapon in CS? Let me guess...AWP?

Are you one of the people who would CONSTANTLY whine about the AWP?

I use to love making kids like you cry when I walked into a server and just ***** slapped you all with the AWP. Fact remains any good player could take out an AWP user with any of the rifles or with an AWP themselves. It just took skill.

I will agree that Counter Strike is the greatest FPS ever made. It also had the best competitive online gaming community EVER. It was called "CAL" also known as Cyber Athletic League.

LOL @ the AWP crybabies from CS.

KapG
nope, I love the AWP and the auto-sniper, so please keep the flaming down until you have confirmation on things like that. I was referring to the flash grenade, and not because enemies used them, but because of team flashers.... god that was annoying! If an enemy used it effectively, good for them. If a teammate used it on me, I would wish them to the lowest depths of hell
metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

I agee with a few of your points. I wish people would play more tactically sometimes but you cant change the way people want to play. I personally hate camping and grenade launchers - but theres no way I would expect people not to use them because it is pretty easy to get kills with them.

I hate killstreak rewards, I hate deathstreak rewards, I hate when someone runs at me with vampire speed andknifes me from a mile away but I still love the game - because even with all its faults its still fun as hell to blast someone in the face with a shotgun.

The only way your going to get a good tactical game is with a group of friends. I only have one friend on the PSN because all my other friends are xbox fanboys but even just as a pair we can dominate with one sniping and one riot shield.

And your point about CSS, that was the first online shooter I ever played, and I found it just irritating as hell. I just got to the point where I'd play with bots because I was sick of the amount of auto-aiming cheaters that were on there.

Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jettero-Heller

Fair enough then. It's an "Online Shooter" with a SP campaign tacked on. My mistake. So that being the case, considering your post & many others I've read about, it seems that you either bought a genuinely crappy game or you are stuck with genuinely crappy players ALL THE TIME. Like I said before. Ditch the Mcshooters & rent a copy of MAG to try out. Your SVER post above shows just how misinformed you are (please, I'm not saying this as an insult) about one of the best games out there. This morning the #s in %' were very evenly spread amongst the 3 factions.Give it a try & if you really hate it post back & call me out & I'll accept ownageif you reallyfeel is a bad game.