I Really, Really Want a Vita...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

already832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 already832
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

What do you think is the likelihood that sony actaully supports the system this time? It seems like with the psp, they put out more systems than games -- at least quality games.

I was thinking about selling my ps3 collection for it, since I think this gen is over the hill as far as good games go (I like action, adventure, shooters, football, and a little bit of racing). It's mainly just sequals from here on out and most first person shooters are sold clearly unfinished (battlefield 3, smh).

The only thing keeping me from getting it is that it is widely considered a flop over in Japan. It has me thinking that if the system never really heats up, it'll be just like the original psp again (long live socom fireteam bravo 2, lol).

Am I the only one nervous?

OFFTOPIC: I really wish the vita was getting mass effect 3 at release. It would be perfect for the Vita.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It has titles like Uncharted being released for it, so I'd say Sony is supporting it. If a year from now, the Vita is a complete failure, then Sony might abandon it. Right now I'd say it'll get support. If it's going to be successful in Japan though, there needs to be more big JP titles like Monster Hunter and Gran Turismo.

communitae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 communitae
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts
hope I haven't offended anyone, but if you compare the hardware of the current 4S with PSP there won't be a huge difference apart from the video capabilities amaright?
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

hope I haven't offended anyone, but if you compare the hardware of the current 4S with PSP there won't be a huge difference apart from the video capabilities amaright?communitae
But if you compare the hardware of the Vita to an iphone, the iphone gets smoked so bad it would commit suicide if it were living. It's stupid to compare 6 year old hardware (PSP) to current age hardware (iPhone 4s)

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I don't see Sony abandoning the Vita, the only concern is 3rd party support for the system. Ditching Vita means bowing out of the handheld race against Nintendo.

It makes complete sense for Sony to continuing its support for a handheld system. PSV is going to be very digital distribution oriented, which would align nicely with the continual evolvement of the Playstation Network. The handheld is also going to be closely integrated with the consoles (cross-platform play, remote-play), which to me seems to indicate a long-term play for Vita.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

I'm admittedly a little nervous about long-term software support, but the quality of the titles we're already seeing at and near launch has persuaded me to place my order. If these games can get the ball rolling and we start seeing major titles like Bioshock and Call of Duty done right and not just rushed out alongside console versions to make a quick buck off a new system, I really feel like the Vita's popularity will increase and more developers will take note of its capabilities and potential. I'm not a Call of Duty fan and even I'm very excited about the Vita's compatibility with that franchise thanks to its twin sticks, party voice chat system, and touch screen. Those features alone will open the doors for handheld shooting experiences unlike any we've seen before on a handheld platform! It's going to be very interesting to see how things pan out over the next year or two. The Vita has an insane amount of potential and despite its early failures in Japan, I have faith that things can and will change once the power of the Vita is withheld by more and more gamers worldwide.

GamejunkieUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamejunkieUK
Member since 2012 • 332 Posts

I'm admittedly a little nervous about long-term software support, but the quality of the titles we're already seeing at and near launch has persuaded me to place my order. If these games can get the ball rolling and we start seeing major titles like Bioshock and Call of Duty done right and not just rushed out alongside console versions to make a quick buck off a new system, I really feel like the Vita's popularity will increase and more developers will take note of its capabilities and potential. I'm not a Call of Duty fan and even I'm very excited about the Vita's compatibility with that franchise thanks to its twin sticks, party voice chat system, and touch screen. Those features alone will open the doors for handheld shooting experiences unlike any we've seen before on a handheld platform! It's going to be very interesting to see how things pan out over the next year or two. The Vita has an insane amount of potential and despite its early failures in Japan, I have faith that things can and will change once the power of the Vita is withheld by more and more gamers worldwide.

THA-TODD-BEAST
For the most part I agree with what you're saying.
communitae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 communitae

[QUOTE="communitae"]hope I haven't offended anyone, but if you compare the hardware of the current 4S with PSP there won't be a huge difference apart from the video capabilities amaright?SF_KiLLaMaN

But if you compare the hardware of the Vita to an iphone, the iphone gets smoked so bad it would commit suicide if it were living. It's stupid to compare 6 year old hardware (PSP) to current age hardware (iPhone 4s)

But when iPhone 5 comes out the hardware will smoke Vita or will be on par.. plus you can do so much more with it..
communitae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 communitae
plus you have so many more developers creating games etc. for iPhone that other handheld gaming devices can't compare. You can count on your 2 hands the number of REALLY good titles on PSP
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="communitae"]hope I haven't offended anyone, but if you compare the hardware of the current 4S with PSP there won't be a huge difference apart from the video capabilities amaright?communitae

But when iPhone 5 comes out the hardware will smoke Vita or will be on par.. plus you can do so much more with it..

lmao. No, it won't. Iphone 5 will most likely be a slightly updated iphone 4s. the Vita is so far ahead of the iphone it's a joke to even mention them in the same sentence. The Iphone 4s can't even beat the PSP yet, and that's 6 year old hardware. Either you're an apple fanboy who doesn't know anything, or a troll.

GamejunkieUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamejunkieUK
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="communitae"]hope I haven't offended anyone, but if you compare the hardware of the current 4S with PSP there won't be a huge difference apart from the video capabilities amaright?communitae

You have no basis what so ever for that statement. No one knows what specs the iPhone 5 is going to have and whatever it does have is in no way going to compare to a dedicated games device like a Vita. I find your comments laughable and this is coming from someone who has had every iPhone since the original and both models of iPad. Either you're very naive when it comes to comparing technology or you're a troll.
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

plus you have so many more developers creating games etc. for iPhone that other handheld gaming devices can't compare. You can count on your 2 hands the number of REALLY good titles on PSPcommunitae

Yeah right. Thousands of minigames that is. And very few good ones. And what kind have a great story and you keep playing? Yep, that's not a lot.

Games are to be played on a gamemachine, not on a phone.

GamejunkieUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GamejunkieUK
plus you have so many more developers creating games etc. for iPhone that other handheld gaming devices can't compare. You can count on your 2 hands the number of REALLY good titles on PSPcommunitae
Again your comments are truly laughable. You cannot compare the iOS software market or model with that of a dedicated games playing device. Not to mention the number of quality PSP games is far more then what you can count on the fingers of two hands. Maybe your judgement is clouded in someway or you're just naive I don't know.
Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts
[QUOTE="communitae"]plus you have so many more developers creating games etc. for iPhone that other handheld gaming devices can't compare. You can count on your 2 hands the number of REALLY good titles on PSPGamejunkieUK
Again your comments are truly laughable. You cannot compare the iOS software market or model with that of a dedicated games playing device. Not to mention the number of quality PSP games is far more then what you can count on the fingers of two hands. Maybe your judgement is clouded in someway or you're just naive I don't know.

Even though I do own an iPhone4S, I agree with the fact iOS devices will never hold anything on a dedicated gaming device. Its convenient for playing games in short burst on the go here and there but it always makes me wish I had access to more of a console experience in the palm of my hand. I'm really excited for the Vita, I can't wait to get my hands on one. I remember buying the PSP-1000 at midnight launch and enjoying the heck out of that thing as well, truly a remarkable device.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The launch speaks for itself. All PSP had was Twisted Metal Head on at launch. The Vita has Gravity Rush, Escape Plan, Uncharted, Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, Super Stardust. Other games coming down the pike for Vita are Resistance, Little Big Planet, Little King's Story, Dragon's Crown, Warriors Lair (previously known as Ruin), Sumioni, and Dust 514. Some ports will have cross play with the PS3 like Marvel Vs capcom 3, Blazblue, and Wipeout. The first year of the system already rocks.