I **** need advice on getting used to controller after years of Mouse and KB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

schesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 schesak
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts

I've been a gamer for a long time, but until recently the only console games I played were sports and rpg's. I did shooter and action games on the PC only. Lately I've been buying a lot of those genres on the PS3 though, because there are some really great games for the PS3 (not to mention I just am more of a console gamer than a PC gamer now).

The problem is...I completely SUCK at playing those genres on the console. I can't seem to get used to aiming with a controller after years of doing Mouse and Keyboard, and in the action games where combos require 4 button presses at once I don't do well at that either.

Is there anyone who has advice to help me get up to speed more quickly, or is it just a matter of a lot of time to get used to it? ....Or maybe I just suck and there's no hope. :cry:

ShootingPwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ShootingPwnage
Member since 2009 • 423 Posts

Its just a matter of time, keep playin

meteorgun7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 meteorgun7
Member since 2003 • 25135 Posts

Practice makes progress.

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
Takes time, how do you think everyone felt when they bought the wii lol.
washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

it just takes time. i cant go back and forth between controller and mouse and keyboard.

well i can switch to m and kb but to controller takes me a while to get used to less percision and slower movments. just practice and adjust the sensitivity if you can. also some games offer different schemes try one to find one that works

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
You are not the only one. I sucked for a month using the analogue sticks after a couple months of playing PC FPS games. It's hard getting used to it but you'll eventually get there.
Prince-Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prince-Noctis
Member since 2009 • 1271 Posts

Yeop practice will help that's all you can do really.

KittyHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KittyHeart
Member since 2009 • 1340 Posts

you will need practice, practice :P

cloudwarrior79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cloudwarrior79
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts
Sounds as if you are in the same boat as me, but then again i sucked with a mouse too :D
schesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 schesak
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Guess it just comes down to putting more time into it.

I especially appreciate the people who indicated similar issues. It can be frustrating replaying the same mission for the 20th time because of failing, so it is good to know I'm not alone in needing to adjust. It'll still be frustrating, but at least bearable.

Right now I've been playing Wet and DMC4, and I'm doing okay (but not great) in both of them. When I played Heavenly Sword last week though it was horrible. I think it took me something like 30 or so tries before I finally beat the final stage of the last boss in that game....I came really close to giving up and throwing the game in the trash (and I completely loved the game up until that point).

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
[QUOTE="schesak"]

Thanks for all the replies. Guess it just comes down to putting more time into it.

I especially appreciate the people who indicated similar issues. It can be frustrating replaying the same mission for the 20th time because of failing, so it is good to know I'm not alone in needing to adjust. It'll still be frustrating, but at least bearable.

Right now I've been playing Wet and DMC4, and I'm doing okay (but not great) in both of them. When I played Heavenly Sword last week though it was horrible. I think it took me something like 30 or so tries before I finally beat the final stage of the last boss in that game....I came really close to giving up and throwing the game in the trash (and I completely loved the game up until that point).

Just as a warning but Killzone 2 is pretty hard if you haven't gotten used to a controller yet.
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
That's what I thought when I switched to mouse and keyboard. Takes a while but soon you adjust. Been years since I played competitively on a PC now.
JackalJnr23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JackalJnr23
Member since 2005 • 844 Posts
I found it far more complicated adjusting to the Keyboard & Mouse combination.
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

It happens, brah.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Actualy i had minimal problems with switching from years of PC to the PS3. First game of Killzone 2 MP i was 1st :D.

Guess im lucky since i usualy dont have much trouble lerning how to play games quite good very fast. I guess i suck at perfecting them since im lazy :D

spyroiskool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 spyroiskool
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

Don't play online until you get used to it.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Get some single player games that use a lot of stealth and mabe leading a team in missions. Some of the Clancey games are good for learning along with the Socom games if you happen to have a BC supported PS3 or a PS2 (the controllers are the same for both systems). Just be patient and practice PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Solid_Cipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solid_Cipher
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
[QUOTE="schesak"]

I've been a gamer for a long time, but until recently the only console games I played were sports and rpg's. I did shooter and action games on the PC only. Lately I've been buying a lot of those genres on the PS3 though, because there are some really great games for the PS3 (not to mention I just am more of a console gamer than a PC gamer now).

The problem is...I completely SUCK at playing those genres on the console. I can't seem to get used to aiming with a controller after years of doing Mouse and Keyboard, and in the action games where combos require 4 button presses at once I don't do well at that either.

Is there anyone who has advice to help me get up to speed more quickly, or is it just a matter of a lot of time to get used to it? ....Or maybe I just suck and there's no hope. :cry:

Dont worry just keep playing, you should see me how bad im at PC...lol its the other way around :/
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#19 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
Practice! I used to play action games like DMC4 and Uncharted on my PS3 to get the feel of it first. Since those games feel more comfortable playing with controller. If u play Uncharted well, move on to FPS.
CONMAN999PS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CONMAN999PS
Member since 2008 • 1163 Posts
Takes time, how do you think everyone felt when they bought the wii lol.Javieralijandro
People bought the wii?
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
TC, I'm in the complete opposite situation to you. I just got my first gaming PC, after being a console gamer all my life, and I just can't get use to the KB&M. I hate using a mouse for anything other than web browsing. I hate having to use WASD for movement. I hate having to keep looking at the keyboard to make sure I press the right key. There's nothing more annoying than being in the middle of a fight in Crysis and having to look at the keyboard to make sure you press the right key, only to either get killed or lose track of the person you're trying to throw the grenade at. There are just too many keys on a keyboard for me to be able to use it comfortably as a gaming peripheral. Maybe in time I'll get use to it, but at the moment I ******* hate it. I hate it so much that I hardly ever play games on my PC and the damn thing cost a small fortune.
Derek42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Derek42
Member since 2009 • 1117 Posts

it still happens to me haha, i am pretty good at CSS but than I get on fps on the ps3 and like I feel like a noob, idc that much cause I just mess around on ps3 fps but I know how you feel lol

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#23 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
the joystick isnt as precise for aiming as the mouse and the good developers know it. most of them will be a bit more forgiving in terms of either hit zones or the need to hit the head to be competitive. so my advice is to not worry too much about hitting the other guy right between the eyes. just put some bullets in him. as for action games, i cant really help you. i always thought that the controller was just far superior in the dmc type games. i simply cannot comprehend someone having difficulties :P