I need a new game, please help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

runeasgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 runeasgar
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Something heavily story driven, with an excellent story. "Recent" - 2016 or newer ideally. Good combat, preferably not FPS (bit tired of FPS right now).

Some of the games I've enjoyed most on PS4 include Fallout 4, FFXV, Journey, Destiny, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Infamous 2, World of Final Fantasy. I started to play Witcher 3 but dropped it when WoFF and FFXV came out, and it seemed pretty good.

Some games I've not enjoyed: Bioshock (nothing in particular, really, just didn't seem "great" in any particular way), The Last of Us (horror isn't great for me), Resident Evil anything (again, horror).

There's a TON of good game's I've never played: Uncharted series, Assassin's Creed series, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite (better than Bioshock?).

Games I've been eyeballing: Uncharted 4 (can I play it without having played any other part of the series?), Dishonored 2 (same question), Nioh, Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I don't get to play that many games - have very limited time.. so I have to choose wisely. I was disappointed in choosing Bioshock most recently.. trying to avoid a similar mistake again.

Suggestions, please? :)

runeasgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 runeasgar

I can't edit the post, so here's a comment: Bit of clarity on what I didn't like about Bioshock, since I'm liable to get flamed about it. It lacked plot. The world was interesting, and the sidebits of info about Rapture and how things went wrong were neat, but it all felt secondary and "behind the scenes" compared to combat and theatrics, and I found the combat haphazard. It's also a little horror-y which doesn't appeal to me. I don't want my games to add stress >.<

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Uncharted collection, but its TPS.

Assassins creed: The Ezio collection

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

EASY!! Rise of the Tomb Raider.

But man, Assassins Creed it one of the best series of the last two generations. I've beaten every single one so far 100% up to Unity, which I'm working on, because they are so fun, who doesn't want to climb buildings and take your pirate ship to go after every little thing.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Just dont play Bioshock infinite. Inferior to the first in every way. Its a shame you werent a fan, 1 is fantastic.

Try dishonored and horizon zero dawn if youre limited.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

If you're into 2D games, Shovel Knight and Odin Sphere come to mind. I just bought a game called Earth's Dawn which is like a 2D hack N slash. Not too much story in it though. There is also the Target Earth PS4 Remake which name was changed to Assault Suit Leynos. Neat stuff.

ChrisAnetkaC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 341

#7 ChrisAnetkaC
Member since 2004 • 726 Posts

@runeasgar: You would like Bioshock: Infinite a lot more than the other 2 Bioshock games. It has a more interesting story and is not as dark and claustrophobic but it still is a FPS. Have you tried the Batman games, Final Fantasy and GTA V?

runeasgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By runeasgar

Weird I didn't get any email notifications on this until I was namechecked by ChrisAnetkaC.

Thanks for all the feedback - for what it's worth, I ended up getting Horizon: Zero Dawn and LOVED IT. Wonderful story, combat, visuals, and overall immersion.

I'm not sure what's next for me. I want to continue doing some post-game in Horizon.. but after that, I'm not sure. I might pick up at UC2 - I finished UC1 before getting Horizon. I also bought Dragon Age: Inquisition while it was $5. And I know there's a Kingdom Hearts collection coming, and I never played that series.

So, yeah.. lots of options. I think I'm just gonna let Bioshock rest. Can't seem to get a consistent opinion on Infinite, and I hear the 2nd one is very similar to the first.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

@runeasgar: You should definitely like Dragon Age. I played through it several times already as different classes.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Uncharted Nathan Drake collection, UC4.

The Witcher 3

Like someone suggested above, BioShock Infinite is a great FPS with interesting story, I prefer it over the first 2 games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

You would probably love Assassin's Creed IV : Black flag, even though it a cross gen launch game it still looks good.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I would try Horizon: Zero Dawn.

But if you have a limited budget below are games that's probably under 20 bucks.

God of War 3 remastered

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

ChrisAnetkaC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 341

#13 ChrisAnetkaC
Member since 2004 • 726 Posts

@twizded said:

You would probably love Assassin's Creed IV : Black flag, even though it a cross gen launch game it still looks good.

I second that, a very good game if you like to explore and take your time. Does the PS4 disc version freeze at 7% like the XBone one does? Then there's "Just Cause 3" and "Sleeping Dogs".

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@runeasgar: You seem to enjoy games focused on colorful settings with open spaces.

Probably best to check out the Uncharted series or Assassins Creed games.

Horizon: Zero Dawn may also be what you're looking for.

I don't think you'll probably enjoy Nioh if Horror settings are not your style. Nioh focuses on Edo period Akumu (江戸時代 悪夢) 17-18th century nightmares of Japan.

Which isn't for the faint of heart. And is the theme throughout the game_

dcoutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By dcoutten
Member since 2015 • 547 Posts

Not sure if this will be for you but Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 is out. That 4 games and 2 movies, and since you want story, boy that game has story. So much that folks have been confused about it lol. Since you played FF15 and liked it I really think you would like KH. The combat for FF15 is based off the KH series. Its obviously old but I think it holds up very well, especially the later title like KH2. Play on harder difficulty though.

Avatar image for deathstalkerdavid0403
DeathstalkerDavid0403

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeathstalkerDavid0403
Member since 2017 • 12 Posts

Metal Gear Solid

thekickingmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thekickingmule
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

For what it's worth, I bought my PS4 with Unchartered 4 and have never played the others in the series. You don't need to know them at all, it's definitely it's own game even though it refers to past quests and things, you can easily play this and pick things up throughout it.

As others have said, Unchartered 4 and the Assassins Creed games. I need to try out Witcher 3 myself