How well does Skyrim run after all the patches?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts
Long story short, my PC's video card died, and I'm sick of wasting 400 dollars on video cards that die 2 years down the line. I have a PS3, and I was thinking about getting Skyrim for it. I see that they're not even sure if Dawnguard is possible on the PS3, so that kind of puts me off. I don't mind the occasional frame rate dip, but how well does it run exactly?
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 0

#2 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Can't speak from personal experience but a friend has logged in over 300 hours with the game, getting near the end of the game and he hasn't complained about many major problems. Certainly nothing that's preventing him from enjoying and finishing the game.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

only 15hrs in but had no probs myself

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I think I'm about 45 hours into it now. It froze up about 4 times requiring a reboot. I haven't really encountered too many problems that effect gameplay, but it's got tons of technical bugs with the graphics. Shadows in broad daylight look horrible, with big sawtooth edges. The lighting has way too much contrast to it. Tons and Tons of texture pop-in, it's not at all unusual to see the basic landscape composed of identical squares, and then as you get closer, that's covered up when the bushes and trees draw themself into existence. Framerate is mediocre/poor, but after a while you don't really notice that too much.

Doomminion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Doomminion
Member since 2011 • 42 Posts

For me bout 35hrs. into it with 2 characters and had no problems when i had it.Do want to get it again though miss that game on the ps3.Something to think who cares bout the bugs if they are minor as long as you enjoy the game who cares.Get it and enjoy it cause we need to show Bethesda that there are people that play on the ps3

Doomminion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Doomminion
Member since 2011 • 42 Posts

For me bout 35hrs. into it with 2 characters and had no problems when i had it.Do want to get it again though miss that game on the ps3.Something to think who cares bout the bugs if they are minor as long as you enjoy the game who cares.Get it and enjoy it cause we need to show Bethesda that there are people that play on the ps3

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I have around 110 hours on it and it only had framrate issues for a total of probably a minute or two. Granted, I got it at launch and never had any problems, but I did turn off autosaves, as they slowed down the game. Though, I agree the possible lack of Dawnguard is really annoying. I can't believe that every other developer is able to make games run on the PS3 but Bethesda just doesn't seem to be able to or really care that much. Still, the game without expansions is still a very large game and is worth playing.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I have around 110 hours on it and it only had framrate issues for a total of probably a minute or two. Granted, I got it at launch and never had any problems, but I did turn off autosaves, as they slowed down the game. Though, I agree the possible lack of Dawnguard is really annoying. I can't believe that every other developer is able to make games run on the PS3 but Bethesda just doesn't seem to be able to or really care that much. Still, the game without expansions is still a very large game and is worth playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-60124c624b61f
deactivated-60124c624b61f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60124c624b61f
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

blueboxdoctor
they say its RAM issues.. although that yes the ps3 isn't good @ ram handling but we can see open-world games "fallout , GTAIV ,GTAV and other games" running smoothly without issues. The problem isn't the console but the problem is that they make a game on console number 2.. which have different coding from console number 1 and thinking its simple to just copy and paste code with adjusting a few things to make it Runnable but maybe or maybe not PLAYABLE
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I've had some random freezes, but other than that it hasn't been too bad.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I got the platinum with almost no frame rate drop at all and like 2 or 3 freezes.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lost-to-Apathy
Oh, what the hell. I guess I'll go for it.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

I've put about 170 hours into it and before any patches if I played for too long it would start to stutter a bit, but it was minimal and rare, rebooting my PS3 would solve it though,and the first patch with the backwards flying dragons kept freezing me once every few hours, but the next patch solved that. Since all the patches I haven't played as much but when I do it runs fine. Regardless, nothing was ever game breaking or took away from enjoying it.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

42 hours logged no freezes frame rate drops every now and then but nothing that hinders gameplay.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

A couple of freezes for me, but nothing more than any game other than I put more hours in than most games, just save a frequently, (good for deaths too) so if you do freeze than it shouldn't hurt too bad

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

The performance issues with the PS3 version were all over the map: Some people had absolutely no trouble while others, like myself, experienced some slowdown/lag issues but nothing game breaking (personally, I found the backwards flying dragons amusing). And still others said the game was completely unplayable; although one has to wonder just how much exaggeration was infused in those claims. So take your pick. Post-patches, however, it seems to be in a very playable/stable state, and if that's the version you must get you shouldn't have many problems now.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#17 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

It's a hit or miss really. I persoanlly hate the game because it runs like sh!t. I took it back to Gamestop. It's all up to you tho.

A good alternative to Skyrim would be Dragon's Dogma or Kingdom of Amalur if you don't want to risk wasting money on a game that is bug filled for some, and fine for others.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lost-to-Apathy

It's a hit or miss really. I persoanlly hate the game because it runs like sh!t. I took it back to Gamestop. It's all up to you tho.

A good alternative to Skyrim would be Dragon's Dogma or Kingdom of Amalur if you don't want to risk wasting money on a game that is bug filled for some, and fine for others.

ristactionjakso
My brother has Draogon's Dogma sitting on the shelf. I tried it, but I really couldn't get into the endless walks and endless chatter from your group mates. If it weren't for those two things, I could probably get into it.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#19 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Lost-to-Apathy

My brother has Draogon's Dogma sitting on the shelf. I tried it, but I really couldn't get into the endless walks and endless chatter from your group mates. If it weren't for those two things, I could probably get into it.

Ya your pawns are really dumb. They say and do dumb things all the time. But you do get travel stones for fast travel.

x-rossoner-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 x-rossoner-x
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts

Havent dl last patch, im still on 1.6 i believe, cause im afraid lol

Over 90h on save, had 2 freezes on loading screen total, dont trust internet always. Some fps dips here and there.

I must be lucky with bethesda, back in day i platinumed vanilla F3 with ZERO problems,.