How to fix wireless DNLA and media server issues...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Dan_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Dan_K
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

I had a friend who bought a PS3 and had connection issues using his wireless. Would be able to sign in but the connection was intermittent and would sign him out of the PS store every few minutes. The quickest fix was just turning off the media server capabilities on the PS3. But that was lame because he wanted to use those features and didn't want to have to adjust settings everytime he wanted to use it.

So, we put the PS3 in the router's DMZ. Nothing. We tried forwarding a few ports, nothing. Finally, we updated the router's firmware (should have been step one, we are learning) and followed some instructionn on what ports to forward. Now it works like a charm.

The instructions below are for linksys. But most router setup software works much in the same way. So, try it on whatever brand you want. The good thing about this is that it's more secure than just putting the PS3 in the DMZ.

First things first, get the firmware installed. To do that you need to get into your linksys setup. To do that, open an internet browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. It should pop-up a window asking for username and password. Username is admin and password should be password. If not, its admin and admin. Once in the linksys setup screen, click on the administration tab, under that tab is a upgrade firmware tab. Click it and you'll see where you browse for the .bin file you downloaded and start the install. Be aware, messing up the firmware can kill your router. So, make sure no one is accessing the wireless or the internet at all while upgrading. Also, when it says its done and asks you to hit "continue", wait a few minutes to be sure. And that's it! You are now running the newest firmware version.

So, now go to the "status" tab and look at the info given. Write down what it tells you for "DNS 1" and "DNS 2".

Also, hit the "administration" tab, by default it should be in the management sub tab. There, go to the bottom and disable UPnP and save the settings.

Now go to the "applications and gaming" tab. Should be in the "port range forward" tab by default. In that tab you need to forward all of the ports shown in the picture HERE. Just copy exactly what is shown in the picture. And you can see, each port is forwarded for the IP address of 192.168.1.108. This will be the static IP address we tell the PS3 to have. Oh, almost forgot, make sure you are hitting "save changes" when you are done entering all of the info.

Next, go to your PS3. Go to the network settings, and start the internet connection setup, forgot what its called. You want to do a customsetup (bottom option). Go through selecting the wireless option, making sure you set it to whatever security you may have on the router for wireless. Maybe you have none. Then, when it aks about IP address, you want to manually put that info in.

In the IP address screen, enter the 192.168.1.108 in the first IP address field. remember, that's the address we told the router to look for. The second field, I believe, is the subnet mask, should be 255.255.255.0. And the default gateway should be the same address as your router, 192.168.1.1. Then for DNS 1 and DNS 2, put in the numbers you wrote down from the router status page. Then hit right to move on to the next step.

Not sure of the order of the next options but MTU should be off or don't use, same with proxy server, don't need it. Also, just like the router, turn off UPnP. And that should be it. run a test and see how she flies.

Let me know how this went for you.

vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 vegetattack15
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
I did everything there, and I got the connection to the server timed out (80130203). Any suggestions?
Minet-Aur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Minet-Aur
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I have exactly the same problem.... Got my PS3 connected with a wire to D-Link DSL-2640B - I created an account, even downloaded and installed the newest firmware... but that's it - still got the same message - NAT Type Failed - The connection to the server timed out (80130203). And basically nothing happens - because I can browse internet, I can download trials and upgrades for games - Little Big Planet in example, but I just can't play online.... I mean - I can see ppl's custom levels, can play on them but only on my own - if I try to play online - it says Failed to join a game.

Similar situation is with Far Cry 2 - everythying works but if I choose multiplayer - each time it says that no servers can be found...

Heeeelp.... please...

GundamGeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GundamGeter
Member since 2005 • 797 Posts

Didn't work for me either

XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
Does anyone know how to make my NAT TYPE 1? or is it normal for it to be on type 2?
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts
Your best bet would be to google it,I wish I could help but I'm no genius when it comes to issues like this...I know the basics and that's it. I use the d-link 4500 gaming router for my wireless network, all I did was follow the instructions that came with it...luckily everything hooked-up ok without me having to trouble shoot or I would have been is SERIOUS trouble.lol I have my PS3,360, 2 laptops and a macbook pro all hooked-up to the same network.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#8 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
I had the same problem, I fix it yesterday, you just need to open all ports, at least that was what I did and now I have better connection. PS: men your sign is huge
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

Does anyone know how to make my NAT TYPE 1? or is it normal for it to be on type 2?XxSTILL_BORNxX

I'm pretty sure NAT type 1 is only for wired connections .. if using Wireless you want NAT 2 because that means everything is set up properly ..

XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts

[QUOTE="XxSTILL_BORNxX"]Does anyone know how to make my NAT TYPE 1? or is it normal for it to be on type 2?CanadianCR

I'm pretty sure NAT type 1 is only for wired connections .. if using Wireless you want NAT 2 because that means everything is set up properly ..

Great to know its normal.
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CanadianCR
[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

[QUOTE="XxSTILL_BORNxX"]Does anyone know how to make my NAT TYPE 1? or is it normal for it to be on type 2?XxSTILL_BORNxX

Great to know its normal.

Glad I could help ..

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#12 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="XxSTILL_BORNxX"]Does anyone know how to make my NAT TYPE 1? or is it normal for it to be on type 2?CanadianCR

yeah I use wireless and it says NAT 2 =D
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CanadianCR
[QUOTE="CanadianCR"]

[QUOTE="XxSTILL_BORNxX"]Does anyone know how to make my NAT TYPE 1? or is it normal for it to be on type 2?lightleggy

yeah I use wireless and it says NAT 2 =D

As do I ..

BUTTJOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BUTTJOY
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Cheers man, worked a treat, wish Sony would have this information, spent hours looking for this solution... Only problem was MTU, settings are Manual and Auto, I left as Auto. Thanks again.
crowskeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crowskeet
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I did everything that the post said (setup port forwarding to my ps3's assigned ip, set NAT on my router to OPEN) still get nat failed and can sign into PS network, browse store and see buddies, just can't connect to a single PS3 online game. It's so very strange this happened to me 2 days ago after my PS3 updated, and before this I played fine, I had no port forwarding set, no DMZ server set, nothing, just a WEP key that's it...and now this....Any ideas on how to end this nightmare?
Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Don't know if this is useful at all and it's usually step one for most IT people, but I would hard boot the router and also the modem. From what I understand from the cable company they update their modems software but it needs to be hard booted on occasion or those updates don't ever get through. Sorry if this is duh info to people some might not know.

oriorenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 oriorenson
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi Minet I have the exact same problem as you. Same router, same Nat error etc. I have done port forwarding, DMZ exposure, static IP address etc and cannot solve solve the NAT error did you manage to solve it? cheers