How similar is Bloodborne to the Souls franchise?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jpcc86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jpcc86
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

Well, the title says it all I guess. I know it's the same studio that did both franchises and I really like how Bloodborne looks and everything I've heard of it, but I'm not a huge fan of the Souls franchise, mainly because it's difficulty doesn't seem so much as a challenge as much as a punishment. Call me "casual" but I ain't got so much time to dedicate to gaming at this point in life, so for those out there who have played both, anyone can tell me if it pretty much the same? Or are there major differences to note?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They're 180 in terms of gameplay and design but they're both created to be difficult in the same way.

For me I think they're easy because it's a paint by numbers kind of thing, they're pretty unfriendly to anyone who also has a life going on while they're playing.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

If you didnt like the souls games because of the difficulty, then you wont like Bloodborne either

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#4 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I've never played a Soul games because of the difficulty of course and also because of the medieval setting that doesn't move me. But I have Bloodborne and it is very hard, I like the setting a lot and the gothic architecture but it is hard. Once I started to get the hang of the game and started to survive boss battle, it feels so great.

So it may take me a year to finish it because like you have other thing going on but I like it even though I'm still bad at it, I like it too.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

They're carbon copies with minor alterations, Bloodborne is akin to the kind of changes you would expect out of a sequel to a game, not a 'new' IP.

It's just a modified version of Dark Souls.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I find Bloodborne as difficult by design, however, the gameplay offers more flexibility then Dark Souls franchise. Being able to effortlessly move at quicker pace and apply risk/reward system does give you more control and room to approach and control each battle.

This also creates the game balance since the enemies also vary to match your speed and agility. While Dark Souls series are more on protective side, Bloodborne pretty much is very offensive ( you will get considerable amount of health back if timed well).

Personally, I prefer the quicker pace of Bloodborne. I was always a more defensive in Demon's/Dark Souls but Bloodborne got me out of that shell. And it works well.

jpcc86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 jpcc86
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

That's actually it, I hate playing "defensively" cause I don't have that much patiente and it just adds to the game's difficulty. Not to mention that the whole thing usually takes more time. If Bloodborne is designed to be played more offensively I guess I'll give the game a chance.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@jpcc86:

Go Get'em Tiger !!! ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@jpcc86: But don't rush without at least check what attack the ennemy does. I remember my first 5 encounter with the Blood Starved Beast it was a slaughter, my slaughter after that everything went very well.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Chris_53: then I better stay away from bloodborne.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Coco_pierrot:

You can chech by letting it kill you then enjoy the sweet agony being sent back to the last place you rested at and killing your way back to the boss.... rinse and repeat until you win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@Lulu_Lulu: Yeah I know, the game is really well made for that as you explore you open shortcut to go to the next boss so if you die, you can go back quite easily

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@Coco_pierrot:

Makes me wonder why they didn't just place a resting spot right next to the boss.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Coco_pierrot:

Makes me wonder why they didn't just place a resting spot right next to the boss.

For spoiled gamers like you will stay away from this game.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I don't care what people say, I consider Bloodborne a Souls game. If you didn't like Dark Souls, you probably won't like Bloodborne. The Souls games are not as hard as some people might think. It just takes a bit of practice. Some boss fights though, I could never beat without help from other players.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@nirogol:

So not wanting to have my time wasted doing anything other than trying to get passed that one boss makes me a "Spoiled Gamer" ?

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

dark souls series are wayyy hard imo

i actually first played bloodborne and found this somewhat hard and very difficult.

then i went to dark souls prepare to die addition and # 2 and found the difficulty way above bloodborne. this boss in dark souls some fat guy with hammer and skinny guy with spear is wayy harder then anything thing you face in bloodborne.

on gameplay : i thought bloorborne was much more aggressive and fast paced compared to dark souls . You are the damn hunter man!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@jpcc86 said:

Well, the title says it all I guess. I know it's the same studio that did both franchises and I really like how Bloodborne looks and everything I've heard of it, but I'm not a huge fan of the Souls franchise, mainly because it's difficulty doesn't seem so much as a challenge as much as a punishment. Call me "casual" but I ain't got so much time to dedicate to gaming at this point in life, so for those out there who have played both, anyone can tell me if it pretty much the same? Or are there major differences to note?

they're different. Dark Souls doesn't have the block function and is faster. It also has the guns and it seems to be a faster game in general. They're in the same genre, but the mechanics are very different.