How should I play Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadow_Aura_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shadow_Aura_64
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

So, I got this game a couple of days ago, and I'm just starting Chapter 2. I've noticed that each battle, I've only been able to use ten guys. Units, whatever they're called. Anyway, should I choose ten guys now, and use only them for the entire game, so I'm using the same group of fighters for every battle, or spread out the experience between everyone?

Thanks.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

It is a lot easier to maintain a small group.

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

Just try to maintain a regular squad of 10. That said though, for your regular squad of 10, you should try to have all your bases covered in terms of strategy so that you can handle any situation.

Shadow_Aura_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shadow_Aura_64

Any tips on how I should go about doing that? Are there any characters essential to the plot I should feel obliged to put into my party?

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

You don't have to use story characters. That said though, Story characters like Laharl usually have higher stats/aptitudes than normal units so they're usually more useful. As for tips on team composition, it really depends on what strategies you plan to use. For example, for going through the story, I think I had Laharl, Flonne, Etna, A warrior, 3 Mages (One for each element), a healer, an archer(Possibly 2, can't remember) and I can't remember the rest(It's been quite a while since I played). But as you can see from my team, I can do multiple strategies with these recruits. Long range bombardment, Turtle tactics, something I like to call "Moving Fortress" tactics, All out offense, etc.

Your team composition will really just rely on what kind of tactics you want to use really.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Guess it is also worth pointing out that learning spells with the whole master pupil stuff is useful too. That way for example, your Laharl can learn some healing and you can teach your healer (which I personally had trouble leveling up) some offensive magic and all that.

I didn't use this until rather late in the game which is kinda a mistake I guess since it can be really useful.

Edit: And I have to recommend an axe wielding warrior too since they are pretty damn powerful!!

Shadow_Aura_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shadow_Aura_64

Guess it is also worth pointing out that learning spells with the whole master pupil stuff is useful too. That way for example, your Laharl can learn some healing and you can teach your healer (which I personally had trouble leveling up) some offensive magic and all that. I didn't use this until rather late in the game which is kinda a mistake I guess since it can be really useful. xWoW_Rougex

Ah, I heard about that feature. The game didn't describe it very well in my opinion, could you possibly explain it to me?

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#8 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Disgaea is one of those games you can literally play for months. It has tons of little subtlties and quirks, though you dont really need them just to tackle the main story battles. I never really paid much attention to the master/pupil spell learning thing, or whatever those things are called that 'live in' your weapons that if you capture them in the Item World it makes your weapons stronger.

If you are going to tackle the post story and things that require characters with levels measuring four digits then yes thats how you get characters that strong. But for just the story you shouldnt need to worry about the deeper mechanics just yet.

sorry if this post is vague, its been a while since I played. ;)

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

It's been awhile, but I think that you can replay levels after you've finished them. That way you can power level your other chars that you don't use as much. Another neat trick is that you can throw 1 monster onto another. That gives you a single bigger monster to kill.

-Flagg-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 -Flagg-
Member since 2005 • 426 Posts

Best strategy is to have three high level warrior's (i use Laharl + Samurai's) and few mage's to give boost's. Should to do the trick even in high level dungeons.

Avatar image for ZombiePhoenix72
ZombiePhoenix72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZombiePhoenix72
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

It's good to have 10 people that you use but I use more so I have differnent classes that I might need at difernet times. By the way, you should unlock a ninja buy getting a male brawler and fighter to level 10 or higher. They are really worth it.

Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

Loegi

Agreed as you'll get some higher level characters later on, like story and secret characters you'll want to use, no offence but this should really be in the Disgaea 2 afternnon of darkness board

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

[QUOTE="Loegi"]

Hanzoadam

Agreed as you'll get some higher level characters later on, like story and secret characters you'll want to use, no offence but this should really be in the Disgaea 2 afternnon of darkness board

Yeah, if you ask at the Disgaea afternoon of darkness game board, you'll get a much more detailed response.