How much is the trade-in value of a problematic PS3 at GameStop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Guaracy-
Member since 2010 • 653 Posts

My PS3 has a problem: Whenever I turn it ff by switching the source off, or unplugging it from the wall socket, I have trouble turning it on. The sensor that turns it on is problematic, which makes me have to rub my finger against it for about 10 minutes before it finally works. I can turn it on and off through the controller by pressing the PS button, no problem, though.

So how much do you think I'd get out of that old piece of trash (note: 80gb black phat version)

Also, tell me if I can do this:

Go in with the PS3 and get a new one, then leave (25$ dollar in-store credit bonus for hardware trade-in)

Go in with MW2 and get Black Ops (20$ in-store credit bonus for trading MW2 for Black Ops deal)

Go in with Army of Two: TFD, Far Cry 2, Killzone 2 and GTA IV and picking up whatever else I might like (20% bonus in-store credit for trading in 4 games)

The reason I ask is because, on the website, they say none of the trade-in deals can be combined. But there's no problem if I do it on separate stores or on separate days, right?

TROD_BING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TROD_BING
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts

You should be able to do all of those offers at different stores or the same store the next day, you might even be able to just do one deal come back an hour later and do another one but that might be pushing it depending on the worker.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Guaracy-

You should be able to do all of those offers at different stores or the same store the next day, you might even be able to just do one deal come back an hour later and do another one but that might be pushing it depending on the worker.

TROD_BING
Yeah, that's what I thought. At least I can get to do them all, right? No tracking on my EDGE card or anything like that? Good then. I'll be visiting the US for 10 days, so that should be enough time. Provided that my parents can get enough of Disneyland and take me there at least 3 times.
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Guaracy-

can someone tell me how much I'd get out of my PS3? :(

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I don't believe any Gamestop, EB, Hastings, or any other game store will buy a broken console. Problematic or not, if it doesn't work as it is intended to it won't be bought. If you are determined to sell it, I would suggest checking Ebay prices and going that route.
slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

If they take it about $150 - $160 USD

Avatar image for GrizzlyBear1976
GrizzlyBear1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrizzlyBear1976
Member since 2010 • 140 Posts

Gamestop wont buy a broken anything and you'll get 35 + shipping off ebay if your lucky. To have Sony fix it will cost $180 and you'll get a 3 month warrenty. My 3rd Ps3 broke again on the 4th month and went in the trash can. For what it cost to repair your better off getting a new slim 4g 360 $199 +1yr warrenty

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Yeah I have a broken PS3 80gig as well. Too much to repair so I use it as a PS2.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Guaracy-

Gamestop wont buy a broken anything and you'll get 35 + shipping off ebay if your lucky. To have Sony fix it will cost $180 and you'll get a 3 month warrenty. My 3rd Ps3 broke again on the 4th month and went in the trash can. For what it cost to repair your better off getting a new slim 4g 360 $199 +1yr warrenty

GrizzlyBear1976
But it's working! Sort of. They say, on the website, that they need it to be working perfectly to receive full value. If I get half the value for this piece of crap, I'm happy. I just wanna get rid of it before it dies completely and I have to pay a full 300 bucks for a new one.
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Guaracy-
And by the way, I can't use any internet selling/buying mechanism, it has to be a physical store, because I live in Brazil and it just doesn't work.
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Guaracy-
Can I send them an e-mail asking if they'd take it?
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

Gamestop WILL buy broken systems. As long as it can turn on they will buy it but you will get hit hard for it. If the system works but no in perfect condition you will get probably half of what they would normally get you, You are probably looking at $40-60 depending on your PS3.

Gamestop does their own repairs on systems.

ElPadilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ElPadilla
Member since 2007 • 609 Posts

Well if you don't tell them it's broken you'll get the full trade in value because they never check the systemsfor themselves. I think it's about $120not includingall the trade in bonuses.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Guaracy-

Well if you don't tell them it's broken you'll get the full trade in value because they never check the systemsfor themselves. I think it's about $120not includingall the trade in bonuses.

ElPadilla
Seriously?! Well that's amazing. If they do decide to test it, like the poster above said, I'll get hit hard by I don't mind. I just hope they don't check it :)
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

[QUOTE="ElPadilla"]

Guaracy-

Seriously?! Well that's amazing. If they do decide to test it, like the poster above said, I'll get hit hard by I don't mind. I just hope they don't check it :)

I work at GameStop and we're supposed to test them every time, but not very thoroughly. I can't remember the exact amount it trades in for (it's around $105) and with the extra $25 you'd be looking at close to $130. Plus the games and stuff. If you notice them trying to turn it on, but they're having trouble with it just say "oh you can turn it on with the controller" or something like that and hopefully they'll do that and you get full credit :)

ElPadilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElPadilla
Member since 2007 • 609 Posts

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"][QUOTE="ElPadilla"]

Ospov

I work at GameStop and we're supposed to test them every time, but not very thoroughly. I can't remember the exact amount it trades in for (it's around $105) and with the extra $25 you'd be looking at close to $130. Plus the games and stuff. If you notice them trying to turn it on, but they're having trouble with it just say "oh you can turn it on with the controller" or something like that and hopefully they'll do that and you get full credit :)

I used to work at GameStop a couple of years ago and our district never supplied us with a testing station so we never tested anything. They wanted us to use the GameStop TV set up and it was a pain in the butt to disconnect GameStop TV, connect the system, test the system, disconnect the system, and reconnect GameStop TV. I would take just about any trade except for systems that had obvious physical damage. GameStop doesn't pay it employees enough to care anyways.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Guaracy-

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"][QUOTE="ElPadilla"]

Ospov

Yeah, but the problem is, to turn it on with the controller, you need to have turned it on at least once by rubbing your finger onto the sensor. Which is a major issue. Oh man.
GrizzlyBear1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GrizzlyBear1976

Bring it to GS and find out for yourself, the worst they can do is tell you no.

Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

[QUOTE="Ospov"]

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"] Seriously?! Well that's amazing. If they do decide to test it, like the poster above said, I'll get hit hard by I don't mind. I just hope they don't check it :)Guaracy-

Yeah, but the problem is, to turn it on with the controller, you need to have turned it on at least once by rubbing your finger onto the sensor. Which is a major issue. Oh man.

However you are giving them a synced controller already, you aren't giving them a brand new system. So you could turn it on with the controller

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="Ospov"]

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"] Seriously?! Well that's amazing. If they do decide to test it, like the poster above said, I'll get hit hard by I don't mind. I just hope they don't check it :)Guaracy-

Before you decide to take it in brother, make sure to rub the sensor very well with your finger and hope for the best :P

Or maybe it will decide to work for that split second and scrape you through. Best of luck either way :P

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Probably close to $200 in cash or just a bit more than that in store credit?

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

You can try to take it to gamestop. Just pray that it works well when they are testing it lol.

GrizzlyBear1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GrizzlyBear1976

Probably close to $200 in cash or just a bit more than that in store credit?

CheekyIchi

GS wouldn't give you $200 for a brand new Ps3, what makes you think he's get that much for one that doesn't even work correctly?