how many gb do you really need for a ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by superapo (1714 posts) -

i'm gonna buy a ps3 and i was wondering do you really need 120 gb for just playing games and downloading demos?

#2 Posted by 4NGoods (1026 posts) -
120 is plenty but i guess the real answer will depend on how many games you have that require installs (but the installs can be deleted if you dont plan on playing that game for a while and reinstalled later). Also if you plan on putting a lot of media on you HDD such as music or movies, although i have an external for that kinda stuff which works out a little better for me. Aside from that the only thing else i can think of that'll consume space are DLC and games off PSN but if you're going with the slim with 120G then you could probably download all the games off psn and still have a little room left.
#3 Posted by Nike_Air (18446 posts) -

You'll be fine with an 80 gig.

#4 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6277 posts) -

Depends somehow on how lazy you are. If you only play games, then you have installs and demos. With an 80gb you can easely have10 games installed (not every games needs installation tough) and 10 demos and still have free space, which is more than you need. I personally am somehow lazy (have game sinstalled that I haven't played for around a year) and I use my Ps3 for multimedia (tons of sound on it), but if you plan to do so, you'd better get a 500gb HDD anyway

#5 Posted by Zeldafan221 (1190 posts) -
Depends on how much you will download and keep stuff. Some games and demos take up GB, and I think that some system upadates take up memory to. I recomend an 80GB, I have 40gb and after 2 years I only have 5gb left.
#6 Posted by oakie86 (90 posts) -

Always out of space on 40gb and I don't use it too much unless certain games release.

#7 Posted by Dogswithguns (10964 posts) -

You'll be fine with an 80 gig.

Nike_Air

No not really, not to me anyway.... 500GB is better, that's why I upgraded it.

#8 Posted by hiryu3 (7307 posts) -
320gigs is great and only cost about $60 on the web
#9 Posted by Tomrock101 (858 posts) -

The new 250gb would be good.

#10 Posted by gamermanps2 (1220 posts) -

Always out of space on 40gb and I don't use it too much unless certain games release.

oakie86

Me too but I counted up all the stuff I have stored on it and it's more like 25GB so I don't know how all the rest of the space is taken up. The firmware, Home, formatting etc can't take up that much space. Why can't it tell you exactly what is taking up all the space like a certain other HD console does?

#11 Posted by MarcRecon (6340 posts) -

i'm gonna buy a ps3 and i was wondering do you really need 120 gb for just playing games and downloading demos?

superapo

Dude,it's not just a console it's a multimedia device, I got about 4gb of pictures,90gb of video's and 10gb of mp3's stored on my HDD....and I almost forgot...game saves!!lol...but seriously I upgraded my 60gb to 250 within 8months of having my system because I use it for more then just gaming so I guess it comes down to what you want to use the system for.

#12 Posted by MarcRecon (6340 posts) -

superapo

Eventually, once you see the potential of your system, you'll use it for more then just games.

#13 Posted by synyster-666 (4148 posts) -
It really comes down to how many games you own that have installs and how many movies/videos/songs you plan on storing on it too.
#14 Posted by Tomrock101 (858 posts) -

Are you a hardcore gamer? If you play casually. 60gb is all you need.

#15 Posted by SoNin360 (5724 posts) -
I've used up about 40 Gigs out of 80 (well 76) and I'm not even sure how. I deleted many of my demos and that didn't clear up much space. I probably have about 12-14 games saved on there, 10 of which I own. I did check through some of them and some games take a lot of space like Fallout 3 and GTA4. So yeah the more games you get the more your HDD is going to shrink.
#16 Posted by Furi-Kun (10903 posts) -

[QUOTE="superapo"]

MarcRecon

Eventually, once you see the potential of your system, you'll use it for more then just games.

This.

Also, Hi Marc! I missed you! :oops:

#17 Posted by superapo (1714 posts) -

thanks for the respones im probably gonna go for a 80 gb, because i already have apple tv for movies, photos, and music.

#18 Posted by iRecoil (198 posts) -

Also, take in consideration that the 60GB can break (Yellow Light of Death) and they're extremely hard to find new. But if you do find it new, it is the best ps3 because of its backwards compatability function, chrome finish, and card readers. I should probably get to work on my homework now xD, I hope this helped.

#19 Posted by MarcRecon (6340 posts) -

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="superapo"]

Furi-Kun

This.

Also, Hi Marc! I missed you! :oops:

lol...same here little bro.:)

#20 Posted by hockeydude29 (10990 posts) -

I got mine for 500 and you can get a lot of things in there but you should be fine with 320.

#21 Posted by J-Man725 (6786 posts) -

I've got a 60GB and I wish I had a 120. I never thought in a million years I would fill that 60GB, but it didn't take long.

I'm constantly deleting demos, movies, old game saves, game data, and all of my music is off it.

But I'm the kind of person who wants to keep all of the above stuff on my system without having to ever delete it, so it really just depends on what your preferences are.

#22 Posted by OmegaAK47 (875 posts) -

I have a 80GB ps3, but I want to get a bigger HD. I keep running out of room. So a 160 should be good for Demos and Media.

#23 Posted by BakedDank420 (473 posts) -

If your planning on putting alot of music, videos, etc, then you'll want as many as you can get. But i suggest you get the cheapest one (120gb right?) You wont use up that 120gb too soon,unless you really don't feel like re-installing alot of your PS3 games data (which really isnt that big of an annoyance, just re-install whatever game your playing next)Then you'll soon find those GB's dwinlding away. Then, at that time, i suggest you upgrade your memory to 500gb, with a 2.5" SATA laptop HDD. Their about $80(?) at Best Buy, maybe even find one cheaper on newegg. There really is no need to get the larger HD, kuz ur paying like average $55 more for 200 more gigs? when for less than double the price you get more than twice the memory? Its just a ploy, go for the smaller HD.

#24 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
I used to have a 40GB and it was WAY to small. I now have a 160GB Slim and it's just right.
#25 Posted by taplok (4473 posts) -

if you're gonna upgrade, from 40/60/80/160 or whatever... take it to 500 GB... gonna make you worry free for a long time... maybe until the PS4... 8)

#26 Posted by wooooode (16665 posts) -
GB? how about TB's.
#27 Posted by SafwanSiddiqui (25 posts) -
HELP WANTED!!!!!!!!!!So I play COD BO2 with dlc pack 1(revolution) and with Turtle Beach PLa Headset.Not only that,I play for 12 hours on holidays and 4 hours weekdays or workdays whatever.So how much gigabyte will my Bell(Canada) Internet use up in a month.Reply Fast Guyzzzzzz!!
#28 Posted by BH14 (1782 posts) -

I have a 120 GB slim and that was far too little to handle. I also said that I wouldn't download games from the psn but there are plenty of great games on there that you would be missing out so I purchased plenty of psn games. You also find full games for cheaper than disc games on occassion. 120 GBs went quick.

Later, I bought the 500 GB assassin's creed III super slim bundle for $229.99 on ebay/newegg deal. Sold the assassin's creed III game though. I have used about 200 GB on it already and joined PS+. I think anything less than 320 GB is too little. Don't be afraid of the super slim like I was.... I have been very happy with the super slim.

#29 Posted by Sokol4ever (6347 posts) -

superapo

You wont need more then 100GB. That's with movies, couple of games and demo's. That's all you need. :P

#30 Posted by MarcRecon (6340 posts) -

superapo

120 sounds about right if you are just using it for gaming, but for someone like me it's not enough. I enjoy my games on the PS3 but I use it more as a media hub(music, movies etc).I got about 80gb of MP4's and about 15gb of MP3's stored on my system.

#31 Posted by ProjectNight (25 posts) -
200-250 GB.
#32 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (569 posts) -

I have a 120gb slim. I've gone through tons of PS3 games (like 80). Every once in a while I have to go and delete stuff but it's not often.

#33 Posted by BH14 (1782 posts) -

I have a 120gb slim. I've gone through tons of PS3 games (like 80). Every once in a while I have to go and delete stuff but it's not often.

DaRq_MiNoS

You must never download PSN games. My 120 GB went up real quick once I discovered all the great games on PSN that were unavailable on the disc version. Lot of disc installation games take a ton of GB like Gran Turismo 5 that takes like 10 GBs alone to install.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (31984 posts) -
Yet nobody noticed how it was necro'd :lol: