How long does your system take to install games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

Hello, lately my PS3 is taking upwards of an hour, sometimes close to two to install a full size PS3 game. This is after the game is downloaded. I'm not positive but reasonably certain that these installs used to take a fraction of the time. I could be wrong, just want to see what other PS3 owners have to say.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Hello, lately my PS3 is taking upwards of an hour, sometimes close to two to install a full size PS3 game. This is after the game is downloaded. I'm not positive but reasonably certain that these installs used to take a fraction of the time. I could be wrong, just want to see what other PS3 owners have to say.

Second_Rook

Usually copying and installing data from a physical copy always is the better, quicker and more reliable source. Have you installed them from hard copies before?

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Second_Rook

I'm actually referring to games downloaded from the PS Store. Installs from disc don't take anywhere near as long. It just seems odd to me that information already on my hard drive would take so long to install. I suppose that all the downloaded data has to be arranged in a way that will allow the game to run properly. I guess all that I can do is wait on the long install times while I do something else.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

my friend has high speed comcast and it took an hour and a half to download infamous
it's just so much data i guess, maybe psn plus makes it fatser?

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Second_Rook

my friend has high speed comcast and it took an hour and a half to download infamous
it's just so much data i guess, maybe psn plus makes it fatser?

GC4ever
It's not the DL speed, the install itself takes just as long. I can download a full PS3 game in about the same time you mentioned, but installing it takes just as long as downloading, doesn't seem right.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Presumably it would take the about the same amount of time on all PS3's to install data that has already been downloaded since the hardware is basically all the same. If the data is already downloaded then its up the hardware itself to install it so it shouldn't have anything to do with network connections or speeds. Of course I could be completely wrong, but this is just my thoughts :P This is one of the biggest annoyances about the PS3 for me though. The fact that you have to wait through these long downloads to finish, and then STILL have to wait while it installs. Compared to when I download things on 360, the Xbox not only has quicker downloads, but as soon as its done downloading you're already good to go. Not sure why Sony thought this a good idea to have separate installs but I sincerely hope they fix this problem for the PS4.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
There are a few games that are 15GB or even more. So I'd imagine if you bought one of those on PSN that the "install" process might be alot longer. I've never really felt the "install" process is all that long on disc based games though, and not on any of the other PSN games I've downloaded. I mean I see that they have to go through a separate install process after downloading, but it seems to go pretty fast for the average PSN game. Gran Turismo 5 is the only game at all that comes to mind as having an annoyingly long install, and of course that install was 10+ GB. I haven't bothered to download them yet, I would assume if I were to download Infamous 2 or Ratchet: All 4 One at 15+GB each that I would be in for a hell of a long download, and then even the install might take a long time.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#8 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Depends on the game. Usually they take about 15 minutes, but sometimes a bit longer.