How long can I leave my ps4 in "rest" mode?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

its got an orange light shining off it while in rest mode which is annoying

can i turn that off?

when my xb1 or pc goes into rest mode it turns off all lights an stuff

is my ps4 fine going in rest mode for a few weeks i leave my computer /xb1 on at all times just making sure my ps4 can handle this an i need that orange light off

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

As far as turning off the orange light, I don't believe there is a way to turn it off.

The how long can I leave it in rest mode question might be better answered by Sony. They will probably say indefinitely though.

Keep in mind that even in rest mode the PS4 is still using up electricity. I personally never leave mine in rest mode unless I plan to come back and play it later that same day, or unless I know a big update is coming. That's me though I'm not a big fan of vampire appliances. If you're not going to use it for a few weeks I would recommend just shutting it off. No orange light and very little electricity wasted.

If you really do need to keep your console in standby mode and can't stand the orange light. Maybe run a strip of black electrical tape over all or most of that light strip. I have my PS3 sitting on top of the PS4, so I only see a small sliver of the light strip, even when it is white.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I don't understand the purpose of leaving a device in restmode for long periods of time. Other then downloading a game, updates or getting back to a playing session that you are in the middle of, I just don't get it.

So I don't think nobody other then sony can give you a real answer because I don't think the have been any issues with the feature.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56061 Posts

You can leave rest mode on for a long time as you wish but from my understanding, it uses less power unless your the type of person who's trying to conserve energy around his house but don't care about that, then your okay. I tend to leave my PS4 in rest mode all the time so my controller won't run out of power when I'm playing for hours and most of all, any updates will automatically update while it's on rest mode.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm going to repost a rant of mine from another thread, please feel free to disregard - it's your property to do with as you please:

"If I may offer advice: don't leave your console in rest mode. Only do it when you need it - say you want to have a new game downloaded and installed by the time you get home from work, then use it that day.

My reason: you're wasting energy, wasting electric bill money, wearing out components (yes, the fan does turn on and yes energy coursing through the PSU and MB does put mileage on the system), and if you lose power for some reason it's like just pulling the plug on a PC (which everyone knows you shouldn't do). If you aren't actually actively taking advantage of the rest mode features on that day, why risk it? The thing basically goes from off to on instantaneously (at least mine does), so it's not like you're saving much time except for when the odd update needs to install.

My 2 cents"

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I'm going to repost a rant of mine from another thread, please feel free to disregard - it's your property to do with as you please:

"If I may offer advice: don't leave your console in rest mode. Only do it when you need it - say you want to have a new game downloaded and installed by the time you get home from work, then use it that day.

My reason: you're wasting energy, wasting electric bill money, wearing out components (yes, the fan does turn on and yes energy coursing through the PSU and MB does put mileage on the system), and if you lose power for some reason it's like just pulling the plug on a PC (which everyone knows you shouldn't do). If you aren't actually actively taking advantage of the rest mode features on that day, why risk it? The thing basically goes from off to on instantaneously (at least mine does), so it's not like you're saving much time except for when the odd update needs to install.

My 2 cents"

no. what if I'm playing a game and have to run out for an hour or 2 and I know when i come back i want to play again. id rather leave it in rest mode than turn it off and on 10 times a day. thats not good for the console.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@xantufrog said:

My 2 cents"

no. what if I'm playing a game and have to run out for an hour or 2 and I know when i come back i want to play again. id rather leave it in rest mode than turn it off and on 10 times a day. thats not good for the console.

What evidence have you got showing that its "bad" to turn on/off a console 10 times a day?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PS4hasNOgames

@GTR12 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@xantufrog said:

My 2 cents"

What evidence have you got showing that its "bad" to turn on/off a console 10 times a day?

over 20 years of using electronics? booting the thing up and shutting it down 10 times a day is bad for it. you might as well keep it on. electronics in best buy stay on all damn day and get bought by people as floor models and then last another 10 years.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

over 20 years of using electronics? booting the thing up and shutting it down 10 times a day is bad for it. you might as well keep it on. electronics in best buy stay on all damn day and get bought by people as floor models and then last another 10 years.

Nope, thats not evidence, and its wrong...

My PSOne has lasted 15ish years and its had no problems being turned off and on since then, same with my PS2, and PS3 so far. Electronics arent that frail as you may think, assuming its taken care of properly.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Nope, thats not evidence, and its wrong...

My PSOne has lasted 15ish years and its had no problems being turned off and on since then, same with my PS2, and PS3 so far. Electronics arent that frail as you may think, assuming its taken care of properly.

I believe you're both right. Honestly, I don't know what's worse for the console - turning it on and off numerous amount of times during the day or leaving it on standby for long periods of time? But I do know they should still be fine, and that they designed the consoles with that in mind. But don't hold my word on that, haha xD

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

My general rule is leaving the console in the rest mode If I'm coming back to the game section the same day. If not, I turn it off. I see no reason for it to be in the rest mode overnight unless there is an update on the way.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@xantufrog said:

My 2 cents"

Problem is though as long as the PS4 is plugged in all those things are happening.

Very few devices made these days actually turn off. What they do is go into a very deep standby, all the PS4 is doing is having it at the surface.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog said:

My 2 cents"

If you don't mind me asking but does it makes a huge difference on the power bill? From my understanding, [and it depends on where you live] my power bill never changes even if I use a lot of power or not, I just happen to leave my consoles on Stand-by mode for a long time now.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Jaysonguy said:

@xantufrog said:

My 2 cents"

Problem is though as long as the PS4 is plugged in all those things are happening.

Very few devices made these days actually turn off. What they do is go into a very deep standby, all the PS4 is doing is having it at the surface.

Sure it turns off. There is bare minimum electricity used when it's off, no fans are being run, the system doesn't bat an eye if you unplug it or lose power. When the PS4 is off, the electricity draw is used solely to detect the "on" signal. When it's in rest mode the hard drive is spinning, the CPU is processing your system state... the darn thing is actively connected to the internet and pinging for updates. The difference between rest mode and off is very big (relatively - it's still nothing compared to fully "on", where the PS4 is quite hungry for a console).

@davillain- said:

If you don't mind me asking but does it makes a huge difference on the power bill? From my understanding, [and it depends on where you live] my power bill never changes even if I use a lot of power or not, I just happen to leave my consoles on Stand-by mode for a long time now.

How big a difference it makes on your bill might depend on the type of service you have. It's not *really* that much in dollars per year, but the power consumption difference between "rest" and "off" is almost 30x, and I assume it's gone up with the addition of the game suspend and resume feature (although that latter is speculation - I haven't read updated analyses since this feature was added). If you can afford the console, you can afford the electric bill (hopefully), but I think everyone should at least be aware of these facts

Source (again, possibly worse now with the new rest mode features): http://www.nrdc.org/energy/game-consoles/files/video-game-consoles-IP.pdf

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@ps4hasnogames said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "no" - it was just a friendly suggestion and you can disregard it. And I never said never use it. I use it too - I gave some examples of when/why I do. I also might use it to charge a controller while I play on another system for a bit (filthy energy waster that I am). But facts are facts: the system is on when it's in rest mode and it uses an appreciable amount of electricity and is vulnerable to power loss. If that doesn't bother you and/or your think turning it on is worse for the system, that's your call

TheStickMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheStickMafia
Member since 2011 • 868 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: If it's not good for a console to turn off ten times a day, explain why there are Atari consoles that still work? N64? PlayStation 2? It's the manual way of consoles, you save your videogame and get off it to take a rest. I don't understand why rest mode is even a option for consoles. Cell Phones and Computers are electronics that need rest mode. Technology is a whore, stop pimping it out.

Shamimay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shamimay
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

Leaving the console on for long period of time can make the device prone to damage since it still got electricity running through it. But its gotta be a different story with a well-ventilated room.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PS4hasNOgames

@TheStickMafia said:

@ps4hasnogames: If it's not good for a console to turn off ten times a day, explain why there are Atari consoles that still work? N64? PlayStation 2? It's the manual way of consoles, you save your videogame and get off it to take a rest. I don't understand why rest mode is even a option for consoles. Cell Phones and Computers are electronics that need rest mode. Technology is a whore, stop pimping it out.

atari n64 and ps2 ran nowhere near as hot as todays consoles which are basically PC's. Not good to boot up and shut down pc's 10 times a day.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog: Interesting. From this point on, I'll just turn it off and only use rest mode for downloading/updating and see if this makes a difference.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

I just use rest mode if I'm downloading large updates or games as it's much quicker than doi it in the background, other then that, I turn the console off. Gotta save that electricity.

regix416_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 regix416_basic
Member since 2002 • 580 Posts

@themanofpears: To put this matter of factly: I actually lost my first PS4 to this erroneous "rest mode" issue thinking it wouldn't hurt the system one iota. I was wrong. Within 2 weeks, the poor system was DEAD. "Rest Mode" is in theory a good thing for say charging controllers and downloading large games but anything other than that, it should never be supported or enforced. Sony should do something with the Slim PS4 to discourage its use or explain its real purpose to its existence so people don't accidentally kill their systems.