SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Just wondering how it is, and if PS4 games are fully functional. I was hoping to get a Vita with my tax return, but realized that remote play will be the feature I use the most. Is it worth buying on primarily for remote play?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I think so. I was surprised how well it looked on the vita. I wasn't expecting it to run that smooth.

If you plan to use remote play a lot than the vita is defiantly worth it. Not to mention the great vita games you could play.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

250 for mostly remote play? Certainly not. But the Vita has a fantastic library of games built already, and if you have PS+ you'll have a nice starting out library from the get go. My experience with remote play has been pretty sketchy. At times it has worked very well and others it is unbearably bad. I've read of plenty of people online who have had flawless experiences most of the time though, so take my statement as you will.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SgtSutton

Both answers help, thanks. I guess I wasn't as clear as I meant. I have PS+ and having been downloading every vita game, so I have a good library. I was wondering more about how well it actually works, and think that its worth it as my internet is really high speed.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I tried Battlefield 4 on the PS4, and it worked really well

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@SgtSutton said:

Both answers help, thanks. I guess I wasn't as clear as I meant. I have PS+ and having been downloading every vita game, so I have a good library. I was wondering more about how well it actually works, and think that its worth it as my internet is really high speed.

You have ps plus and you are going to use remote play? Vita is a must buy then.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SgtSutton

@marcheegsr said:

@SgtSutton said:

You have ps plus and you are going to use remote play? Vita is a must buy then.

I'm going to in the next couple days. Plus with the current sale I'm gonna pick up a few of the titles I want

wiganath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wiganath
Member since 2004 • 433 Posts

It works really well. I didn't expect it to work half as well tbh.

Tried BF4 and AC4. AC4 is worth playing, however i am bad enough on BF4 without playing it on a tiny screen :)

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

i tried out remote play recently, cant say im a huge fan, its great for a few things and it looks great on the vitas screen but i find it hard to play, but it might be that im used to playing games on a ps4 controller.. if you could use a ps4 controller with the vita it would be great but you cant, so..

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

*****Noob question Alert*****

Can you still use remote play if you're away from your house? Or must you be at a certain distance from the PS4.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I guess some people can get better connections, but I could only get it work at home, and it worked well, as in there wasn't any lag.

I decided not to worry about it anymore though. It doesn't feel as good using the Vita to control games where you are used to using the dualshock 4. The other thing I didn't like was how you would be playing the sames games with a different look for the colours. The Vita's screen shows more vivid colours than the way I have my TV set.

Having said that, I've found the Vita to be worth owning regardless of remote play, because of some good exclusives.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Can you still use remote play if you're away from your house? Or must you be at a certain distance from the PS4.

Yes but it has to be across a Wi-Fi connection to get it to work, and it's best if the PS4 is wired up not wireless, i've heard it can work on 3G but not to stable.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

Personally I bought a Vita Slim being most excited about remote play and granted I have only used it a few times I am not a huge fan... It is amazing to see a PS4 game on my Vita's screen but the play-ability is flaky. But the Vita's wireless seems too weak unless you are RIGHT next to your router. My PS4 is hard wired and when i'm sitting right next to my wireless modem I still get the occasional (maybe every 10 seconds) stutter- that sounds like i'm nit picking but in some games that is EXTREMELY annoying. There is also a noticeable input lag, which for certain games is a deal breaker. For example trying to play Trine 2 where in some cases you have to react fast and have some precision, I will get some lag when trying to jump or move.

But after owning a Vita there is SOOOOO much more than just remote play. They system has an amazing library of games, most of which have been out long enough that you can buy them used for about $10-15.

PS - My hard wired internet DL speed is 56.98Mbps and UP is 12.25Mbps. Wireless on my laptop next to the modem is almost exactly half that. So I'm not sure what's going on with my Vita. Seems like those speeds would be pretty decent.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

It only reaches about 30 ft from the Ps4. You can go any farther or it won't connect.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Thanks for answering guys. Seems like a bit of wasted potential in my opinion. If you're still in range of your PS4 and at your house why would you choose to play on a smaller screen instead of your TV? It's nice technology but I don't see why you'd do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef5a505d0fac
deactivated-5ef5a505d0fac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By deactivated-5ef5a505d0fac
Member since 2005 • 150 Posts

I recently bought a Vita for remote play as a primary reason. As I have PS4 and plus account the games immediately available are pretty good, Guacamelee for instance. I have kids and they often wander in when I'm playing. Outlast isn't something I want them to watch and as the PS is in the bedroom then the missus gets slightly annoyed if I'm on it. Good set of in ear headphones and its a perfect solution for lying in bed or on sofa not getting on anyones nerves. I haven't got it to work over the net yet. Can;t seem to configure controls on it either to make for a tailored option. No real problems when in game - its impressive to think the latest games are being played on a handheld. All in all it works well for me.

The app selection on the Vita is poor - I would have thought that is best expanded to include some more - although it cant compete with a tablet for that.

As the new slim has a micro USB port why it can't be used as TV out like tablets... Sony missing a trick there.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

@BattleSpectre:

@BattleSpectre said:

Thanks for answering guys. Seems like a bit of wasted potential in my opinion. If you're still in range of your PS4 and at your house why would you choose to play on a smaller screen instead of your TV? It's nice technology but I don't see why you'd do it.

That last guy was messing with you. As long as your PS4 is online (hard wired works best for remote play) you can use your Vita in remote play from anywhere in the country, maybe the world, I'm not sure.. I have my PS4 on standby when I go to class and on break I usually play NBA 2k14. Keep in mind you need a pretty strong wifi connection for smooth gameplay.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Just tried remote play for the first time both locally and off site and both times we're very good.

Setup takes 30 seconds and when played locally with your PS4 wired the quality is just exceptional. The OLED screen of the Vita really makes the games look great. Response times are dead on and no frame rate issues in the slightest (my internet connection is roughly 11mbps).

Now onto off site remote play. Tried this for the first time today at work and it was not as good but still serviceable. Took a long time to connect but the gameplay experience was very good. had one or two framerate skips but nothing too dramatic. internet here is not that great wireless (2mbs) so it may be the reason it was a bit choppy.

All in all I'd say it a fantastic feature that definitely justifies the purchase of the Vita. Can't wait to use it more in the future.

rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rgallard
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

When decided between ps4 & Xbox one, the remote play on Vita was the swaying point for me, so I ended up getting a ps4/vita bundle My xbox 360 & ps4 are hooked to the same tv, and my kids are obsessed with minecraft, so the remote play means I can chill on the sofa playing my ps4, while they're playing the 360. I've never suffered any lag (despite my net connection not being great), and the games look stunning on the vita's oled screen.

Definitely worth it, and the vita's also got a great collection of games too.

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

@RiKanKiDD said:

It only reaches about 30 ft from the Ps4. You can go any farther or it won't connect.

Just to clarify since a self described noob was asking the question, this is not how it works. The distance to be concerned about is from your Vita to your router, not your vita to your ps4. You aren't connecting to the ps4. It's definitely best if your ps4 is hard wired to your router.