How do you feel about MGS' long cutscenes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
I've heard and read a lot about how people are complaining regarding the long cutscenes in the MGS series... on my part, i enjoyed them all even though some are particularly long. but for me, it's an essential part of the story, and the story itself is what makes MGS great, and it would be hard to deliver without those cutscenes. I also would prefer those cinematic cutscenes rather than reading long conversations in previous RPG's like FF VII, VIII, & others... well, that's my opinion... how about you?
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Wouldn't trade them for anything. Every cutscene is well done, and important to the story.
lahdeedah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 lahdeedah
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts
I love them
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
They are good but I think some of the dialogue could be trimmed down a bit. (Contrary to what some say not ALL of it is AAA+ Gold material, some is stuff we have heard for the 1000th time and other stuff just feels unnecessary.)
halfbreed11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 halfbreed11111
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts

some of the best cutscene in any game

help make that amazing story that is mgs4

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

i love cutscenes on games. i played thru mgs1 twin snake countless times after i beat it, just to see gray fox slicing the soldier in half

Avatar image for Meluckycharms12
Meluckycharms12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Meluckycharms12
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts
I've heard and read a lot about how people are complaining regarding the long cutscenes in the MGS series... on my part, i enjoyed them all even though some are particularly long. but for me, it's an essential part of the story, and the story itself is what makes MGS great, and it would be hard to deliver without those cutscenes. I also would prefer those cinematic cutscenes rather than reading long conversations in previous RPG's like FF VII, VIII, & others... well, that's my opinion... how about you?taplok
Well, to answer your question: I really enjoy the cutscenes. What I don't enjoy is how unimaginative your post is...
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Some just dragged on, and were kinda boring, but I still enjoyed most of them.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Some just dragged on, and were kinda boring, but I still enjoyed most of them. GodofBigMacs

this

SocaWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SocaWarrior
Member since 2006 • 551 Posts
It seems that as of late, people are starting to talk about the cutscenes again. Im gonna guess that people just got MGS4 for christmas with their ps3 and whatnot, and that is the reason why people are talkin about it again. But as far as how I felt about the whole cutscene issue. I thought most of them were good for the most part. Some weren't as entertaining, but the fact that there was such important stuff that you had to listen to, made it so that you had to let the cutscene go through the first time.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 taplok
[QUOTE="taplok"]I've heard and read a lot about how people are complaining regarding the long cutscenes in the MGS series... on my part, i enjoyed them all even though some are particularly long. but for me, it's an essential part of the story, and the story itself is what makes MGS great, and it would be hard to deliver without those cutscenes. I also would prefer those cinematic cutscenes rather than reading long conversations in previous RPG's like FF VII, VIII, & others... well, that's my opinion... how about you?Meluckycharms12
Well, to answer your question: I really enjoy the cutscenes. What I don't enjoy is how unimaginative your post is...

Well you shouldn't have jumped into it! maybe you should go and think of something great to post for your own satisfaction... and i'm not asking if you enjoy my post or what?! i wonder why some wouldn't just answer directly and go on being sarcastically righteous and impolite...?
2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts
Something tells me you were in System Wars when you read about all the hate on MGS' cutscenes
Karaam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Karaam
Member since 2005 • 678 Posts
the cut-scenes were too long, and I'm an MGS fan, loved MGS2, but some of the dialogue could have been cut and some scenes could have been errased, and the voice acting could have been better also, especialy for Big Mama, that was horrible. and most of the time they were just starring at each other just like in a japanese anime. Oh and I got it day one, finished it 3 times then I forgot all about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Loved them. Except the ending, boy was that long.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 taplok
Something tells me you were in System Wars when you read about all the hate on MGS' cutscenes2good2betrue
yeah man... there's a lot of hate inside that forum, i rarely get inside of it 'coz it makes my head ache... but there are some here in the PS3 section also dislike the cutscenes, you'll see them in the threads every now and then...
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Didn't bother me.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
I'm nopt complaining. It's not like the long ones are pointless. They're apart of the story. If you're a Metal Gear fan, chances are you're going to watch it lol
rctyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rctyke
Member since 2005 • 1122 Posts
I liked watching the cutscenes, though they can be overdone and not as well writtten, it does beat having to play Marathons of playing the game constantly without much development toward plot, and can be an easy break.
orbis_mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 orbis_mortis
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
They moved the story along so I didn't have a problem with them.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Loved 'em. They really drew you into the story and gave the game its epic feel, and I for one greatly appreciated them.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who's never been the biggest fan of Metal Gear.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
I love the cut-scenes. They just work well in pacing the entire series.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Great for the most part, but some of them were overdone imo.
RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
I think that it's japanese culture. Japanese developers generally tend to have more cutscenes, so the people who don't like them I will bet anything like american, or americanized, games (It's just like japanese generally have auto-aim in all their games).

Personally? I love them. But that's probably due to the fact that I grew up with a NES, and I remember when the second the Playstation One came out... I would play games SIMPLY to get to the next awesome looking cutscene (Albeit, now cutscenes are on par with in game graphics), but I can really appreciate them.

I think that also alot of people this generation just picked up their first consoles, so they are more used to having a cutscene only at the beginning and end of a mission... There really hasn't been any long-winded cutscene RPG/games yet.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
i liked them because it game a nice break from the gameplay yet kept you entertained. so the game never got old for me and is one of the few games i actually beat and replayed
munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts
i loved all the cutscenes, excpet for little bits of some mission briefings.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
I hardly even noticed how long they were. Any fan of the MGS series should be used to long cutscenes by now.
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
I enjoyed the long cutscenes. Most were interesting as hell and filled a lot of gaps for me about the MGS story.
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
There was part of a cutscene that was extremly corny, but it wasn't very long.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
The cutscenes were well excecuted and gave great detail to the story. Just like in the previous installments, MGS4 doesn't dissapoint not one bit.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Fantastic. That's all I can say.
deluxemando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deluxemando
Member since 2005 • 1010 Posts
Honestly, while I was watching them, I never felt they were too long. I never felt or thought "hey...how long is this cutscene going to be..." It was just a part of the game and I think if no one ever saw that one of the cutscenes is X amount of minutes long, no one would complain.
savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 savinger
Member since 2007 • 1309 Posts
Unfortunately they pretty much ruined the game for me. I haven't been able to finish the game. Not trying to make fun or anything, but the story isn't very interesting imo.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

Unfortunately they pretty much ruined the game for me. I haven't been able to finish the game. Not trying to make fun or anything, but the story isn't very interesting imo.savinger

i bet you loved LBP's story tho

Dernholm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dernholm
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
I like that you actually compare cutscenes with RPG dialog, because yes, it's the same thing. I love all the cut-scenes, have played through the game multiple times without ever skipping one.
THQ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 THQ88
Member since 2008 • 1362 Posts
Every second of those cutscenes are worth GOLD. Seriously, who cares about the length when what you're watching exceeds most of the Hollywood movies out there in terms of quality?? The storyline alone needs such long awesome cutscenes which btw pushed me to play the game many many times just to go back and enjoy the best moments in gaming. The cutscenes in the Metal Gear franchise are the best in the industry!
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
I love them.
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
Like them and I havent played any other MGS game before. The cutscenes are amazing made the story great, really like the story even tho I didnt get much of it but I replayed the game like 7 more times becuz thats how good it was.
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
I've heard and read a lot about how people are complaining regarding the long cutscenes in the MGS series... on my part, i enjoyed them all even though some are particularly long. but for me, it's an essential part of the story, and the story itself is what makes MGS great, and it would be hard to deliver without those cutscenes. I also would prefer those cinematic cutscenes rather than reading long conversations in previous RPG's like FF VII, VIII, & others... well, that's my opinion... how about you?taplok
Well they are always refering to older games... and im like WTF? i just never been able to get into MGS... and those cut scences really turn me off
Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts

They are good but I think some of the dialogue could be trimmed down a bit. (Contrary to what some say not ALL of it is AAA+ Gold material, some is stuff we have heard for the 1000th time and other stuff just feels unnecessary.)Duckman5

Quoted for truth.

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
I feel like they helped it to be such an amazing game.....
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
I enjoyed the long cutscenes. Most were interesting as hell and filled a lot of gaps for me about the MGS story.Kikouken
This