How do you feel about indie games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I don't deny them of being good games. I feel like there are a lot of them I would miss because of how many there may be or that I might not get a good idea about what the game is like from a screenshot or movie.

I feel like if there were more demos I'd more likely buy a title.

I guess, how excited are you about indie titles on Sony systems? Do you find it hard figuring out which of the endless indie titles to buy? That's sort of my dilemma. There are a ton I love, but I feel like it's hard to determine from media coverage (and probably certain gamer expectations clouding everyone's judgement, not mine) today.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

they suck.

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

The thing I love about Indie games is that generally their very cheap compared to triple AAA titles so even if I don't get a demo I don't mind taking the risk to buy something because I've not invested so much in the product. I don't think indie devs have the money or resources to put together a demo but there's generally more coverage on gaming sites and youtube channels so you might have to put your faith in the community to tell you whether its the game for you.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

Indie games are great.

And one can't really complain much, because there are videos and info online, and the indies are generally very cheap.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

There is nothing wrong with them. If small teams can put together cool games in a short amount of time, then that is fine by me. It just means more games out there to play. Tripe A titles are taking 3 plus years to make, and studios still go under even when the game sells millions. Irrational games is the most recent example. When Tomb Raider sells close to four million in one month and is called financial failure by the publisher, then that is a problem. Indie games give developers a chance to be creative or make titles that resemble games from the 2D era. They do not have to worry about marketing or publishers being afraid of not turning a profit.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

I love Indie games. It gives small developers a chance to innovate and get their ideas out to a wider audience. Fantastic for pick up and play value as well. Don't get me wrong a love a good big budget AAA title as much as the next guy but I do appreciate a good indie title.

For example I absolutely love Thomas Was Alone. The best indie title by a country mile. Optimises everything about what an Indie game should be. Simple yet innovative and unlike anything I've played before. Plus it's on the PSN for £1.90 at the minute.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@stationplay_4 said:

they suck.

that's really informative...

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I never use to give a damn about indie games, that's until I played Outlast. Now I am starting to realize there are some good ones out there.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@stationplay_4 said:

they suck.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Most of them either try too hard and fall short, or are way too artsy and experimental. However, some of them are very well done and are great games.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#11 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I personally don't enjoy them. They're often to hard, and often just variations on 2D platforming. I also don't like how they receive nothing but praise. I think gaming journalists/media think indie games can do no wrong while AAA developers can't get anything right. Since I don't want to spend the next 30 years of my life playing nothing but pixelated 2D platforming variations, I'd like to remove this "indie's are all perfect and artistic" attitude from gaming media.

Avatar image for doublewhiskey88
doublewhiskey88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By doublewhiskey88
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I do not dislike indie games but its coming to the point where if you dont support the indie scene you're not a true gamer or your a big company fanboy.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@jasonredemption: I have no problem with 30% indie games but it seems like a plague and are taking over the gaming market. Outlast are among the few good indie games but there is a lot of crap out there. I agree with another post here stating how indie games can't do any wrong.

I am not sure why the guy who made this post didn't just respond to my post on indie games. This just seems like a rudundant discussion.

I do agree wwith AAA games cost a lot and it seems like when they are done and are a sucess the game has to sell 100 million copies like GTA 5 to make a profit. I think AAA games can still be a major factor to sell machines it's just the developers need to save money somehow and not take 5 yrs to make a AAA game.

I also afraid a lot if developers are now not doing a lot of AAA game demos. I can't understand why in the hell it's so costly, according to developers to make a demo. It's not like demos are being put in a magazine anymore. All demos are digital now. Should'nt it be cheaper to develop a AAA game demo these days?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Saying "they suck" is about the most ignorant answer possible.

There are so many different kinds of indie games, just like there are so many kinds of AAA games.. And it seems like most of the people don't even understand what indie means.. I can't even number to amount of people I've read lately calling the Trials series indie games...

But anyhow, that would be like me buying the newest Madden game and saying "This sucks, all AAA games suck!".

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They're getting more sophisticated and often have more original ideas and creativity than the so-called aaa games do.

NiNoKuniGal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NiNoKuniGal
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It's become cool to hate on AAA games and be all about indie, and yet 1 out of 10 is actually worth playing to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I'll enjoy them as they come, but just as I didn't order the steak sandwich for the side of fries, I didn't buy a PS4 to play Don't Starve.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stationplay_4

@MethodManFTW said:

There are so many different kinds of indie games, just like there are so many kinds of AAA games.. And it seems like most of the people don't even understand what indie means.. I can't even number to amount of people I've read lately calling the Trials series indie games...

But anyhow, that would be like me buying the newest Madden game and saying "This sucks, all AAA games suck!".

the only reason anyone plays indie game is because you get one for free every month.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@SpiderLuke said:

I don't deny them of being good games. I feel like there are a lot of them I would miss because of how many there may be or that I might not get a good idea about what the game is like from a screenshot or movie.

I feel like if there were more demos I'd more likely buy a title.

I guess, how excited are you about indie titles on Sony systems? Do you find it hard figuring out which of the endless indie titles to buy? That's sort of my dilemma. There are a ton I love, but I feel like it's hard to determine from media coverage (and probably certain gamer expectations clouding everyone's judgement, not mine) today.

indie games are fun for 15-20 minutes..... and then are just throwaways. i rarely play one for more than one or two sittings. they just arent that fun the majority of the time. the only exception i can think of is State of Decay.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@stationplay_4 said:

@MethodManFTW said:

the only reason anyone plays indie game is because you get one for free every month.

Nah, I'll be shelling out full price for The Witcher 3.

An indie game is simply a self-funded game. That is, no big publisher behind the curtains.

________

On topic - Most indie games are horrid or simply decent, a few are worth the time and the occasional gem comes out. Just like any other media source be it books, movies or video games in general.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stationplay_4

@commonfate said:

@stationplay_4 said:

@MethodManFTW said:

An indie game is simply a self-funded game. That is, no big publisher behind the curtains.

________

On topic - Most indie games are horrid or simply decent, a few are worth the time and the occasional gem comes out. Just like any other media source be it books, movies or video games in general.

lol too bad Warner Bros are publishing The Witcher 3.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 commonfate
@ewalthour said:

I also afraid a lot if developers are now not doing a lot of AAA game demos. I can't understand why in the hell it's so costly, according to developers to make a demo. It's not like demos are being put in a magazine anymore. All demos are digital now. Should'nt it be cheaper to develop a AAA game demo these days?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122056-Game-Dev-Claims-Demos-Hurt-Game-Sales

There are some other links out there if you're really curious but the bottom line is that demos hurt sales more than hinder. Why chance $40+ on a game you're unsure of if you can just play the demo and see what the game has to offer?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commonfate

@stationplay_4 said:

@commonfate said:

@stationplay_4 said:

@MethodManFTW said:

________

lol too bad Warner Bros are publishing The Witcher 3.

They're not overseeing anything concerning game development. They're simply in charge of distribution and localization in NA. CDPR still have complete control over the content and specific deadlines of the game itself.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stationplay_4

@commonfate still not an indie game.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#25 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

So true.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

well, i have bought, if i am not mistaken, every game produced by that game company on ps3 and downloaded them on my ps4 as well (except journey which is not released yet), tim schafer's games are also brilliant, there are many indie developers whose games do attract a lot of attention and which are quite good... of course, not everything that has been released is gold, however indie developers bring fresh ideas to the table, which the aaa developers are afraid to do since they have so much to lose... :)

in short, yay for indies, and thank you for the fresh games... :)

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@commonfate said:
@ewalthour said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122056-Game-Dev-Claims-Demos-Hurt-Game-Sales

There are some other links out there if you're really curious but the bottom line is that demos hurt sales more than hinder. Why chance $40+ on a game you're unsure of if you can just play the demo and see what the game has to offer?

You would think this would be an incentive to just make better games. lol

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#28 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Most indie games I've played have been really enjoyable

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Overall I don't mind them, and they are obviously good for the industry. However I'm pretty careful about which ones I buy.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Indie games can be great or they can suck. Just like brand name traditional AAA games from big studios and medium size games from smaller medium developers.

Depends on the creators

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@commonfate: thanks for the article. It gave great insight why I don't see many demos anymore because it's BS that demos are so expensive to make. But if AAA are losing half their sales after providing a demo then the game wasn't very good.

I feel if game developers are confident in their games then they should provide demos. Indie games are giving demos way more than AAA and I am sure the demo for a indie game is enough for me. Example, I played the demo of trials fusion and I definitely don't like the game. It's not as if I would buy a AAA game and if it sucks I want return it in a minute.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Don't like Indie games, never have never will.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

All the indie games I've played lately seem to be fun at first, but then they get really hard. A lot of them are free on PS+ and I always download them. I'm gonna try and stop because I am sick of having a bunch of games with 0 or 2% trophies.

If they made them easier, I would enjoy them more