How Big Of A Difference Does HDTV's really make????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for kylethiggins777
kylethiggins777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kylethiggins777
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
im looking at some pretty nice HDTV's but im not going to buy one unless it makes playing the game that much better so can you tell me if having a high def tv makes a big difference or any diference at all
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Visually it makes a huge difference. HUGE difference.
masterwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 masterwind
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

big difference pal, if you can afford it, get a minimum of 40 inch. 720p res. will be fine as most games run that anyways.

ESPECIALLY if you're going to start playing MGS4. Dont skimp on the tech.

waheeb2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 waheeb2020
Member since 2008 • 115 Posts

well, you need one if you are playing european games as they support 720 p HD like GTAIV PAL

Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

The difference is night and day...

Sony is having deals all the time in order to get rid of this year's stock before next year's comes out this fall...

You can probably find a good deal on a 40" 1080p Sony Bravia with HDMI which is what i'd recommend...

ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts

it makes a massive difference dude. no lie. plus- it really expands the view- like in first person shooters, if youre using a SDTV it cuts off like two inches on each side of the screen, you have a much wider viewing on hdtv.

for real man, when you first pop a game in at home on a new hdtv you'll be amazed

JuanaSmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JuanaSmoke
Member since 2006 • 789 Posts

It makes a great improvement. I don't know if it's my eyesight is better, but one of my friends is on standard tv and the other is on a crappier hdtv and it seems i always can see someone faraway or out of the corner when they can't.

I have a 32 in Sony Bravia 720p, because anything smaller than 40in your better off with 720p, and it has all the hookups you need for $700-800.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Poke yourself in one eye and look at your tv, alternating between left and right eye open. Your poked eye is SD, your non-poked eye is HD.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Once you play in HD, you will NEVER want to go back.
sykojason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 sykojason
Member since 2003 • 192 Posts

First of all this is English and you don't double pluralize, so it's "Do HDTV's...."

But yeah, the picture and colors are a lot better. Using digital sound through fiber-optic audio cable or HDMI makes a big difference too.

Minimum 32" 720p will get it done for you.

psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts

First of all this is English and you don't double pluralize, so it's "Do HDTV's...."

But yeah, the picture and colors are a lot better. Using digital sound through fiber-optic audio cable or HDMI makes a big difference too.

Minimum 32" 720p will get it done for you.

sykojason

thanks for the lesson teach, and back on topic, they make a huge difference i had an sdtv, and when i got my 22 inch monitor i was really amazed :D

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Poke yourself in one eye and look at your tv, alternating between left and right eye open. Your poked eye is SD, your non-poked eye is HD.emitsu97

That's a very good example of the difference between the two. Now for the TC when looking for a HDTV the LCD's seem to be a better all around set than the Plasma's. Also the quality of the TV makes a difference, example is a lot of low-end/bargin brand HDTV's don't look as good as a quality HDTV, the low-end/bargin HDTV's that are 1080p usually don't deliver the quality of a high-end HDTV at 720p. There is more to look at than what resolution the TV delivers.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

I was about to write a blog on this. Huge!!!!!

I just accidentally had my PS3 reset to capture vid at SD. And forgot to switch it back. And when I started playing it last night. I said "what the heck is wrong with my games." They look horrible. I thought my PS3 was fried or something. This was just last night.

And then I realized I forget to change the setting back. Wondered why my font was so BIG :p Then I did change it, but only to 1080i. Turn it back on to "THE SHOW." Its in HD I can tell. But still something is off?? Its real jumpy, And the ball and everything almost looks as if it has frame rate probs. Like the ball kinda was a tad jumpy, and I saw those flickers and stuff.

I go back and click 720p "which it normally set for both." And it runs and looks smooth as glass. I could not believe it made that much of a difference even. And I believe even more so after last night. And I also now understand that P is wayyyy better then i. Oddley My games seem to look better when I click both 1080i and 720p. Even if my TV is set to 1080i. 1080i alone looks ughhh! Clean, but animations look weird. I know it must be choosing 720p. But why my TV is choosing it, and how, is beyond me?

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]Poke yourself in one eye and look at your tv, alternating between left and right eye open. Your poked eye is SD, your non-poked eye is HD.jimm895

That's a very good example of the difference between the two. Now for the TC when looking for a HDTV the LCD's seem to be a better all around set than the Plasma's. Also the quality of the TV makes a difference, example is a lot of low-end/bargin brand HDTV's don't look as good as a quality HDTV, the low-end/bargin HDTV's that are 1080p usually don't deliver the quality of a high-end HDTV at 720p. There is more to look at than what resolution the TV delivers.

Plasmas have a better picture due to better black level if you get into the high-range, but it isn't worth it for most people. I'd agree that LCD is probably the better choice in the sub-$1000 category.

Mijis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mijis
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
It makes a Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge diference , get a Sharp by the way :)
sickman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sickman87
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
It looks better but to me it's not night and day. I play on a 24" SD in my room and sometimes on the 50" 1080p downstairs and it definetly looks sharper, and the text is ALOT easier to read, plus you get to play in 16:9 which is great. I can still go back to room, though, and play on my SDTV without missing a whole lot. Maybe my eyesight is bad but to me it's just not a HUGE difference. Anyway just my opinion.
Bruuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Bruuin
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

im looking at some pretty nice HDTV's but im not going to buy one unless it makes playing the game that much better so can you tell me if having a high def tv makes a big difference or any diference at allkylethiggins777

The difference is ridiculous. it's like waking up looking around in SD and then putting a pair of glasses on and watching the world come to life in HD. Everything is clearer, sharper and more vibrant. Depending on what your plans are there are a few corners that can be cut. Like some of the previous poster's have mentioned, if all you're concerned about is games than a television with a 720p resolution will do you just fine and there are crazy deals to be had on sets of that nature.

If you're ever going to think of playing blu-ray discs though, you may want to flip for a 1080p Television. I'd go LCD by default if you're going to be playing games on it though. While plasma tv's generally have a superior contrast ratio, black levels and colour depth, they're also pretty notorious for getting bad burn-in and the last thing you're going to want is to see shades of a radar from one game when you've moved on to your next.

No matter what though, the jump from SD to HD is huge and it will vastly improving your gaming experience!

razorsedge678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 razorsedge678
Member since 2004 • 7918 Posts

a big one, sometimes games look so good you dont notice a big difference especially on a smaller tv

for example, i played gears of war for the first time on a 36 inch tv and it still looked great, didnt notice a huge difference when i went to a 1080i output, but i did notice a difference with graw 1

however, i just bought a ps3 with mgs4 and graw 2, and well let me tell you..it looked like crap with the sd cables it came with, i bought a hdmi cable (cost me 80 bucks damnit) and it went from crap to absolute beauty

it also depends on the size of your tv, like 720p on a smaller tv like 36 and below is perfectly fine, its when you hit 50+ youll want 1080p

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Turn your PC resolution all the way down and use it for a while. That's SD. Then turn it back to your monitor's highest settings, and that's HD.

See the difference?

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Once you play in HD, you will NEVER want to go back.zaphod_b
And that is the truth. HDTV is awesome to play PS3 games.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts
youll never get the full experience of a ps3 without HDMI and HDTV
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Yeah. If you can, it's like going from regular vision to focusing on one object, which is the entire picture.
shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts

big difference pal, if you can afford it, get a minimum of 40 inch. 720p res. will be fine as most games run that anyways.

ESPECIALLY if you're going to start playing MGS4. Dont skimp on the tech.

masterwind

woah, you set the standardsd waaaay to high man. not everyone has bottomless pockets. anything above 26 inches is decent. If your never planning to play splitscreen or watch movies and can sit close, you can even go for 20 inches.

Avatar image for kylethiggins777
kylethiggins777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kylethiggins777
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
thanks guys well looks like im going to have to buy a good HDTV now along with my laptop to make my system that much better oh my looks like i got a lot of hours to punch yet then thanks for the replies
SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
an infinite x's better. its almost hard to explain how much better.
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts
don't worry about this (at least if ur living in the u.s.) the goverment will change ur reception to HD which means u either need an hdtv or a converter box. Stores will lower their prices for HDTV's and eventually ull get cheaper hdtv for a better game-playing expierience, and plus ULL BE ABLE TO WATCH Blu-Ray movies!!! trust me for u the future is blu (corny)
terdoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 terdoo
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
From what I see it makes the colors more rich and makes the textures pop out alot more.
cifru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cifru
Member since 2005 • 2211 Posts

damn, i really need to get a new HD tv now!

djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts

im looking at some pretty nice HDTV's but im not going to buy one unless it makes playing the game that much better so can you tell me if having a high def tv makes a big difference or any diference at allkylethiggins777

a freakin huge difference!

Big_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Big_Greg
Member since 2003 • 7354 Posts
I have a 32" Sharp Aquos 1080p and trust me, its a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference. I got a deal on mine, only paid $500 with a 4 year warranty.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
Okay here is the break down. HDTV's do make a big difference, but in reality the game is the same the graphics are the same the only difference HDTV makes is more clear picture quality, crisp, and proper and everything isn't as bunched together as an SDTV. Lighting and colours look a lot better too. So yes the difference is like night and day. SDTV being night where it looks good but once you plug it into a HDTV everything is WAY more clear and open.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

[QUOTE="zaphod_b"]Once you play in HD, you will NEVER want to go back.cifru

damn, i really need to get a new HD tv now!

And yes that's correct. I actually had to move my PS3 from my HDTV to my SDTV in my room because of certain changes in my living room and I don't even want to plug in those composite cables lol. :lol:

1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts

OMG Yes! That should be the first thing you do before buying a next-gen console. Makes a huuuuuge difference!

fizzlegloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 fizzlegloop
Member since 2007 • 692 Posts

i just posted in another thread like this. I think that the difference between sdtvs and hdtvs is like you being blind and you getting a new pair of glasses that gives you back your sight. Its insane the difference. I bought the newest tv on the market though a while back. It was a 42 inch tv with 120hz that has a 2 ms response time. Now you really cant play fast paced games if your tv doesn't have a response time of 5 or below in my opinion. The first time i played call of duty 4 on it was amazing. It took a while to get used to the size of the tv but when I did it was just gamer heaven. The graphics were insane. I then hooked my stereo system up to it and it was just the greatest. Once you go to hdtv you will never want to go back so choose wisely =D

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
It makes a huge difference.
ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts

Once you go HD, YOU NEVER GO BACK!

anytime i watch my regular tv in my room - hdtv is in the game room - im like damn so blurry so not high def, uh...what happened to the sides, wheres the width??!!

for real dude- besides the amazing clarity, the width of the tv makes a huge difference, especially when you play a FPS game or any game with a lot of HUD stuff

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
It makes a HUGE difference. I used to play on a 36" SDTV, then I moved to a 1080p 32" HDTV and WOW! There was a giant difference. The colours are way more vibrant and the picture quality is just a ton better.
doberman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 doberman20
Member since 2006 • 562 Posts
it makes you turn evil cause you want more better quality games!
jw_burrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jw_burrell
Member since 2005 • 374 Posts

night and day buddy. night and day.

SBDTANGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SBDTANGO
Member since 2004 • 360 Posts

this is pretty much true. when you play games in hd you will never think twice of going back to sd. that should be pretty self explanatory of how good hd is.

Masterbeat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Masterbeat2
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts
I had to take my dad's 40" Tv and drag it all the way to my room! It's that good!
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Visually it makes a huge difference. HUGE difference.emitsu97
It makes about a 30%-40% difference and I don't really consider that "HUGE."
Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts
fairly different and better if u get the component cables.