Hey, PSP brothers...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Hi! i'm from the PS3 board... i don't have a PSP (yet) or any other handhelds, so i don't have much knowledge about it and i came here to ask for your help. i'm planning to get my girlfriend a PSP for her birthday (which is October 12th). now i went to my videogame store to look on what i'm going to buy and came across with two models, the PSP slim and the PSP-3000... and i also heard about the PSP Go which will be already released by that time... may you please give me a short lesson and comparisonof these 3 models and which one would you prefer...?

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
psp go is only download... So you will use a credit card to purchase games online and in my honest opinion looks like crap. Psp slim or 2000 is thinner and brighter with tv output. Psp 3000 is even thinner and i think the screen is a tiny bit bigger, as well as it has a built in mic. I may have got a little confused of the 2nd two so someone confirm it or look it up on google. Also you might want to look into the original. While I am not advertising another forum on here another gaming forum actually supports the original because of a few things. The psp 2000 and 3000 both have a free floating UMD which when moving about could skip the disc and cause problems while the regular psp is solid. Also while the 2000 and 3000 are thinner the original psp a lot of people say feels a lot better (which I actually have the opinion of that with the DS Phat). And some oddly enough LIKE the d pad which I personally am not commenting to sway your opinion on but I think it feels like the classic consoles which I really like which obviously some people want the new which I understand. Now the advantages of the others is tv output which is useless... and the built in mic is nice so you don't spend 20$ on a specific headset built for this. While I don't own one yet (tomorrow or day after I will have original) that is from about 4 hours of research on it. There are the small features like skype for 2000 and some hardware upgrades some people are avid supporters of the original psp.
Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

The PSP-2000 is great in my opinion. If you plan on using Skype (a free limited phone service between other skype users), and you want the thinner model then go with the 3000. The GO is download only and hass the smallest screen of them all, but has a cool clamshell design. You don't need a credit card to buy downloads for the PSP GO or PSP in general. You can buy the cards for either 20$ or 50$ at your local Game Crazy or GameStop. You will need wifi (wireless internet)to access the playstation store, but most people have that already and if not, Libraries almost always have wifi.

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostcali8
Member since 2005 • 2548 Posts

I'd avoid the GO, why limit yourself to download only games?

As for the other models, the 3000 has the most features, and there definitely worth it.

Panzeram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Panzeram
Member since 2008 • 653 Posts

Don't be deterred by the Go, if she wants a truly portable PSP and don't want to mess around with UMDs then the Go is the best choice. And as long as you live in North America you can use PSN cards instead of credit cards. It isn't limiting if you don't want UMDs.

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostcali8

Im not condemning the system man, but pretending you aren't cutting down on your potential game choices by going dl only is only going to hurt yourself in the long run.

Don't like UMDs? Ok.. Doesn't change what that does..

At the very least, hold out until you see this "most first party games" list that Sony plans on releasing. My bet is it's about 70% of the current library..

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
Either 2000 or 3000. Go is too expensive, its design is absolutely crap (in my opinion), its screen is smaller and the download-only thingie is a headache. In other words, if you buy PSP Go, you're paying extra for massive frustration. I have a 2000 and I'm all fine with it. I suggested one of my German friends to buy a 2000 recently and he loves it.
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Either 2000 or 3000. Go is too expensive, its design is absolutely crap (in my opinion).pooyanh

I agree, i haven't seen anything as ugly since Quasimodo.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts

I'd get the Go. it's a lot more portable than the others and downloading games is really great for a portable device (once you get over the idea of not having a physical copy). I really love the design as well. the only down side is the price, but its about the same price as getting a psp-3000 and a 16gb memory stick (assuming you look for a deal). Most of the psp library will/should be available for download by the time it launches and I'd think sony would require all games after launch to have a downloadable version.

If you both have psp's then you should buy games with the same account, that way when you buy it you can both have it on each of your psp's. right now both me and my brother buy PSP games on my account and share.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Moneywize i think the 3000 is a good choice.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 taplok

Thank you very much to each and everyone of you who have share time and knowledge! your help is greatly appreciated!

...and for those who have yet to give their comments/suggestions, feel free to do so coz i'll be checking this out from time to time.

Panzeram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Panzeram
Member since 2008 • 653 Posts

Im not condemning the system man, but pretending you aren't cutting down on your potential game choices by going dl only is only going to hurt yourself in the long run.

Don't like UMDs? Ok.. Doesn't change what that does..

At the very least, hold out until you see this "most first party games" list that Sony plans on releasing. My bet is it's about 70% of the current library..

lostcali8

You make a good point, he should hold out to see what is available on PSN by then. I know what games I want to come to PSN but for TC the 3000 may be the safer choice depending on how Sony updates the Store.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Slim. Best one obviously.
ermPSPgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ermPSPgamer
Member since 2009 • 382 Posts
Right now, it's a tie before Slim and 3000. I don't know why, the 3000 is an absolute waste of an upgrade from the 2000. However I know that I will be upgrading from 1000 -> at launch.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

I'd go with the slim. Apparantley the 3000 has some screen problems. I'm not sure if they fixed them yet.

ermPSPgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ermPSPgamer
Member since 2009 • 382 Posts

I'd go with the slim. Apparantley the 3000 has some screen problems. I'm not sure if they fixed them yet.

Almighty-mints
Yeah, slight interlacing problems at times. When i'm playing my brothers' I can't really notice it whereas he says it's a big letdown.
eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

well the psp go is gonna have a like 480 mhz cpu or something like that, which is pretty much what the PS2 runs at, the psp 3000 will have everything the ps go has but i think the GO is getting the apps and not the other systems...and its small and compact, i will get one in adition to my psp 3000 cause i like the multimedia of this handheld an flip screen ownage

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

well the psp go is gonna have a like 480 mhz cpu or something like that, which is pretty much what the PS2 runs at, the psp 3000 will have everything the ps go has but i think the GO is getting the apps and not the other systems...and its small and compact, i will get one in adition to my psp 3000 cause i like the multimedia of this handheld an flip screen ownage

eo_the_shaman

Ummmm, What?

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 taplok

Okay... let's put the PSP Go from the equation for awhile... so it's between 2000 and 3000... regarding the prices, the 3000 is a lot cheaper... but how bad is that screen problem that you're talking about? and why does the 2000 costs more than the 3000?

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 taplok

eo_the_shaman
so if it has 480 mhz cpu, does it means it'll run games faster, like lesser loading time? how about graphics-wise?
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 taplok
Slim. Best one obviously.siLVURcross
Can you elaborate more why do you think so?
LovetoBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LovetoBall
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts
If she's the type of person who's you don't think would consider downloading games go with the PSP 2000, the PSP 3000 is a minor update and the 2000 doesn't have screen issues. But if you know she would buy games online I'd go with the PSP GO just because it's acually alot more portable and the whole issue of carrying around games will be non-issue. But if you go that route you have to be careful of the issue of how many downloadable games will be available and will she be into any of the games at release date of the PSP GO!?
lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostcali8

The whole 3000 screen issue thing is a myth. Mostly made by 2000 owners angry about the minor upgrade. I've owned all three models (1000-3000) and can honestly say I have never once had any problems with the screen. Scanlines or otherwise.

The only difference I CAN notice is less ghosting and brighter more vibrant colors. So if you really want a no bs evaluation TC, don't ask here. Find a spec comparison online and confirm the different features of all three models. Choose the one that best suites her, not the one fanboys tell you is best. ;)

danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

I have a psp 3000 and so far there isn't a single scanline problem.

thexphact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thexphact0r
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

Just personally speaking I'm not at all impressed with the PSP-GO. Sure we all knew they were trying to get over on us with a $250 price tag, but to blantantly admit it just rubs me the wrong way. Poor form Sony...

Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#26 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts
Wait for the go. It rulez!
GameHog9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GameHog9
Member since 2008 • 1052 Posts

Hi! i'm from the PS3 board... i don't have a PSP (yet) or any other handhelds, so i don't have much knowledge about it and i came here to ask for your help. i'm planning to get my girlfriend a PSP for her birthday (which is October 12th). now i went to my videogame store to look on what i'm going to buy and came across with two models, the PSP slim and the PSP-3000... and i also heard about the PSP Go which will be already released by that time... may you please give me a short lesson and comparisonof these 3 models and which one would you prefer...?

taplok

If you want UMD, get 3000

If you want a smaller package, better screen (or so they say), and intergrated bluetooth, which you can pair with a headset, wait for PSPGo. But its download only media.

I dunno, I kinda like Go

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 taplok

You have all been very helpful... Thank you very much!

iblizsatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 iblizsatan
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts

[QUOTE="eo_the_shaman"]

taplok

so if it has 480 mhz cpu, does it means it'll run games faster, like lesser loading time? how about graphics-wise?

480 mhz is not the cpu speed, but the USB speed. :D

you should wait for the psp go, and make a comparison on ur own.