Help with creating a PSP game play-through

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leddybug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 leddybug
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I have a PSP 3000, with which I know you can hook up to a TV so that the PSP's display screen shows on the TV. But is it possible to do the same with a computer screen, like a laptop? The reason why I ask is because I want to create a play-through video for a game I own, and the only way I can think to do so is record through my laptop screen with some video capturing software. But if there is a way to capture the video and audio from the TV, directions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to be able to edit the video afterwards so that I can add text here and there.
LMW-STU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 LMW-STU
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts
[QUOTE="leddybug"]I have a PSP 3000, with which I know you can hook up to a TV so that the PSP's display screen shows on the TV. But is it possible to do the same with a computer screen, like a laptop? The reason why I ask is because I want to create a play-through video for a game I own, and the only way I can think to do so is record through my laptop screen with some video capturing software. But if there is a way to capture the video and audio from the TV, directions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to be able to edit the video afterwards so that I can add text here and there.

I Don't think that such a thing is possible.I would do this aswell if i were to make a PSP Game-play video.Don't take my thought to truth though.I'd leave this question to the pros on this site.They're really good with this type of stuff(Although they can get a bit too geeky at times LOL
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#3 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
It's quite simple, all you need is a video capture card and a PSP video out cable. Just plug in the video and audio cables, then record away.
leddybug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 leddybug
It's quite simple, all you need is a video capture card and a PSP video out cable. Just plug in the video and audio cables, then record away.Granpire
Like this?: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle+-+Dazzle+DVD+Recorder+Plus+Video+Capture+Cable/9714459.p?id=1218156772061&skuId=9714459&st=video capture card&cp=1&lp=1 and this?: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=67145
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="Granpire"]It's quite simple, all you need is a video capture card and a PSP video out cable. Just plug in the video and audio cables, then record away.leddybug
Like this?: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle+-+Dazzle+DVD+Recorder+Plus+Video+Capture+Cable/9714459.p?id=1218156772061&skuId=9714459&st=video capture card&cp=1&lp=1 and this?: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=67145

U would have to use the composite cables on the psp capture cards only have Composite video and S-video. PSP 3000 are the only ones that can output games with them though I haven't tired it yet. 2000's only video http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Composite-AV-Cable-Sony/dp/B000VIUNZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293421172&sr=8-1
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Granpire

You'll need a video capture card that supports component, as component input is the only type that the PSP will support game output. That said, you'll need a slightly better capture card that supports HD input, like this one.

leddybug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 leddybug

You'll need a video capture card that supports component, as component input is the only type that the PSP will support game output. That said, you'll need a slightly better capture card that supports HD input, like this one.

Granpire
Okay, thanks, I'll have to give that a try.
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

Granpire
I also want to record my psp on my pc but what's the cheapest way? The link is too expensive for me.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

Granpire

If he has a 3000 he can output games with composite, but if he has a 2000 yeah only component.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Granpire

If he has a 3000 he can output games with composite, but if he has a 2000 yeah only component.

p4s2p0

That's true, I had forgotten that aspect. If you have a PSP 3000, you can use the setup you had previously posted, except the PSP video-out cable is different, you'll need a composite cable, not component. This cable isn't available on Gamestop's site, but you can find it possibly in-store, or somewhere else.

deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deejaypsp
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]If he has a 3000 he can output games with composite, but if he has a 2000 yeah only component.

Granpire

That's true, I had forgotten that aspect. If you have a PSP 3000, you can use the setup you had previously posted, except the PSP video-out cable is different, you'll need a composite cable, not component. This cable isn't available on Gamestop's site, but you can find it possibly in-store, or somewhere else.

Confirmed. I picked up a used composite cable at a Gamestop for 2 or 3 bucks. Not shown on the website. It really depends on what got traded in to which particular store, as far as finding something like that...
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rubedisky

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]If he has a 3000 he can output games with composite, but if he has a 2000 yeah only component.

Granpire

can the psp 3000 use component cables?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Granpire
[QUOTE="rubedisky"] can the psp 3000 use component cables?

Yes, component cables were originally the only way to play actual games- versus videos and XMB stuff, which was all you could do with composite output. The PSP 3000 adds the ability to play games through a composite output, it's one of the 3000's lesser-known features. So basically, yeah, the 3000 can use either component or composite output to play games.
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rubedisky
[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="rubedisky"] can the psp 3000 use component cables?

Yes, component cables were originally the only way to play actual games- versus videos and XMB stuff, which was all you could do with composite output. The PSP 3000 adds the ability to play games through a composite output, it's one of the 3000's lesser-known features. So basically, yeah, the 3000 can use either component or composite output to play games.

but component is much better quality than composite. So why would I use composite? I might buy the XCM USB Vbox2 Advanced. But the quality is low and it costs 85 dollars. So I am doubting.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Granpire
The quality of the PSPs screen is 480 x 272, you won't lose any quality by using composite, unless you're using a DVR or some form of actual HD output. If you have a 3000, just use a composite to record, you'll save a lot of money, and you won't miss any quality.
leddybug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 leddybug
[QUOTE="Granpire"]The quality of the PSPs screen is 480 x 272, you won't lose any quality by using composite, unless you're using a DVR or some form of actual HD output. If you have a 3000, just use a composite to record, you'll save a lot of money, and you won't miss any quality.

So basically, I just need a composite or component cable, and a video capture card? I'm not really concerned about quality (as long as the picture is pretty clear), so what would be a reasonably good price to pay for the video capture card? And would it need to be installed into a computer, or can it work as a stand-alone device? Are there any good brands you can recommend, or ones to stay away from?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Granpire
[QUOTE="leddybug"] So basically, I just need a composite or component cable, and a video capture card? I'm not really concerned about quality (as long as the picture is pretty clear), so what would be a reasonably good price to pay for the video capture card? And would it need to be installed into a computer, or can it work as a stand-alone device? Are there any good brands you can recommend, or ones to stay away from?

That all depends. Which model of PSP do you have? For the 2000, you have no choice but to record through component, which will cost you more. If you have a PSP 3000, you're free to use a composite connector, which is much simpler, as you can go with a much cheaper capture card.
leddybug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 leddybug
Okay, cool, I have a 3000. Thanks so much for your help.