lawrenceium03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lawrenceium03
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

So it's already been 2 years since the Playstation 4 was released. Everytime I go to a local video game shop, I can only see few PS3 games and a LOT of PS4 games that I really really like. Because of this, I'm beginning to realize that the PS3 is starting to lose its value as more and more games are being released for the PS4 daily. A friend of mine recommended that I should get a PS4 but I couldn't afford it. I also really wanted a PS4 ever since it was released. So is it worth it to sell my 500GB PlayStation3 Super Slim (also 2 DualShock 3 Controllers, 2 PlayStation Move Controllers, and about 15 games) for a PlayStation 4?

I know that this question is asked a couple of times now. But I'd like to keep this discussion up to date. The last time this was asked was almost a year ago. And the majority of the answers was to NOT sell your PS3 for a PS4. So I thought that the answers might have changed now.

So, should I? :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I wouldn't sell my PS3 for a PS4, I would add a PS4 to my collection.

I've never been a big fan of selling older machines.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Depends if you're willing to part with your collection of games. I personally held on to my PS3 since I have 50+ physical games and maybe another dozen or so digital games I didn't think would be worth parting with. Plus I still occasionally find new games (to me) to play on the system. But it also wasn't necessary for me to sell anything to afford the PS4, so there's that too. Selling all of that might get your halfway to a PS4. So, I mean, I would definitely recommend getting a PS4 when you can. I'm just not one to part with old consoles and even games, so I can't really vouch for that being worth it or not.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@lawrenceium03: I would agree with the other two, I also never get rid of my older systems. I think the PS4 will drop to $299 by the end of the year, if I were you I'd start putting some money aside with intent to find a good deal on a PS4 this November. Get an envelope, write "PS4 fund" on it, and put $50 in it every month until Black Friday, you'll have enough money for a system with 2ish pack-in games and maybe 2 or 3 more depending on what deals are out there.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@suicidesn0wman: Why would you put it in an envelope and not a bank account where it would accrue interest?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@suicidesn0wman: Why would you put it in an envelope and not a bank account where it would accrue interest?

Because that 12 cents is all that important? Reason why is to separate your spending money from your short term savings. If you want to add a savings account at the bank and have it auto pull $50 every month(or $25 every check if bi weekly) that would work too. So long as the account holder can resist pulling from that account until they are ready to buy the PS4.

Basically, it's just a trick I use to keep myself from spending the money, it isn't in my wallet nor my bank account, I have to choose to stop saving for the item I want.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@suicidesn0wman said:
@GTR12 said:

Because that 12 cents is all that important? Reason why is to separate your spending money from your short term savings. If you want to add a savings account at the bank and have it auto pull $50 every month(or $25 every check if bi weekly) that would work too. So long as the account holder can resist pulling from that account until they are ready to buy the PS4.

Basically, it's just a trick I use to keep myself from spending the money, it isn't in my wallet nor my bank account, I have to choose to stop saving for the item I want.

It all adds up in the end, and depending on the bank and the account type, the interest could be a lot more, that's what my bank has anyway.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Only sell your console if the current system is backward compatible, which in this case is a resounding no.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I have a different take on your question.

Personally I traded my PS3 with extra controller and around 10 games. The value of the trade-in was little over 300$. In my case I had to pay another 100$ +tax and a game (Assassin's Creed: Black Flag) on the release date when the PS4 came out. It was a great deal and I didn't had the money to outright buy it without the trade.

Two things to keep in mind however. I finished my PS3 collection and I have no desire to play older generation games once the new one arrives. I simply had no need to keep my PS3 once I got the PS4 console.

Now, you need to ask yourself a question, do I want to play my PS3 collection once you get the PS4? If yes, you have to re-buy those games and some aren't even available for streaming. Other things to consider with the PS3, it's a fantastic media center machine, PS+ offers are excellent as well. In that case I wouldn't trade in the PS3 system, save up and pick up the PS4.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I wouldn't sell my PS3 for a PS4, I would add a PS4 to my collection.

I've never been a big fan of selling older machines.

Same here!! As a matter of fact, I'm looking into getting an extra PS3.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'd definitely recommend the PS4 - it is substantially better than the PS3 in many ways (except a few misc media functions). But like others, I'd be loathe to get rid of my ps3 in order to make it happen. Because the ps3 is now slow and awkward with waning support, BUT you have access to tons of good cheap games, and in many cases I don't feel the desire to re-buy an updated ps3 title I already/previously owned on ps3 for ps4. My ps4 is for games I don't already have on ps3.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

It really depends on if having a gaming collection is important to you. If you are not going to play your games again in the near future, then maybe selling them would a good option. Keep your PS3 if a collection is important to you. Now would be a good time to jump into the current generation. 2016 is a big year for gaming. This is especially true for PS4. Ratchet and Clank just came out. Uncharted 4 comes out next month. The Last Guardian and Horizon will come out later this year as well as the next Star Ocean game. There are already cool games like Tales of Zesteria, Guilty Gear Xrd, Gravity Rush, Infamous, Until Dawn, Tearaway, and Bloodborne out now.

Oi_Oi_Spanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oi_Oi_Spanky
Member since 2015 • 301 Posts

Kept my PS3 and bought a PS4. PS4 is the bollocks though so if you have to sell the PS3 then onwards christian soldier.

NingYupOwaDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NingYupOwaDat
Member since 2016 • 182 Posts

To be honest if ypu sell your ps3 and games you definitely wont get anywhere near enough money to buy a ps4. Just save up. Ps4 is out two years now ps3 has no resale value anymore. I traded in a ps3 in july 2014 plus all of my games, about 10 games, and only got 150 for them. It is half that now you would br lucky to get 80 now and then you have no console.

Since tarading in mine in 2014, i have since bought a ps4 and 2 ps3s. I regretted trading in mine.

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 108 Posts

Wait for the end of the year when the playstation neo comes out. That will be $400 well spent.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

Considering it will take many more years for them to shut down PS3, keep it if you like it

But, if you ever want new games with better graphics or just bigger games, upgrade

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

I've owned both for a while now and I feel like PS3 is the better option. It just has way more games. Unless you're a Souls fanatic like me and you NEED to get your hands on BloodBorne or Dark Souls 3...

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

No one answered your question to the degree that you wanted it answered. No you shouldnt.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

If the PS4 could play PS3 discs then yes, but as it can't, then no

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

Keep the PS3 because they are no longer selling them brand new. Least you know yours will work.