Help please! :( My brand new controller won't connect to my PS3! USB faulty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StateOfGrace
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts
First of all, my old controller connected and worked fine. It was low on batteries but I couldn't find my USB cable so I just used it until it completely died out. After it died, I bought a brand new USB cable to charge it. I got home, plugged it into my controller yet it still wouldn't charge. After that, I bought a brand new controller in hopes of being able to finally play my PS3 again. I plugged the USB into the controller to connect it to my PS3 but no.. it still would not work. It wouldn't even recognize the controller when I plugged it in. I pressed the PS button and the 4 lights would flash but it wouldn't connect to my PS3. I tried everything from resetting my controller, resetting my system, plugging in the USB, but none of them worked. Does anyone know what the problem is? I contacted Sony Customer Support but they were not helpful at all. They were just telling me everything I already knew such as "get a brand new controller. get a new usb." I've done all that and it still does not connect to my PS3, let alone charge. So I'm hoping someone here on the forums could help out. If anyone knows what the problem is, please tell me. I won't be able to play my PS3 if the controller doesn't even connect. Thanks in advance.
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

can you try plugging the cable on a PC? it would charge the "old" controller ; I think you tried both of the USB slots on the PS3?

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
did you try using another usb -> mini usb cable???
StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StateOfGrace
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts
Tried connecting my controller to my computer but it didn't detect it. Could this be a problem with the USB cable?
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
try using another cable first, if it is not the cable, then reset the controller by pressing on the tiny button (with a tooth pick or needle) on the downside of the controller...
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
The USB cable does not transmit signals, so a PC isn't going to see anything, but it should still charge the controller. Anyway, I'd guess that the cable you bought is busted. About the only other thing it could be is that the USB ports on the PS3 are broken.