Help, hard drive corrupted... epidemic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Unknown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Unknown15
Member since 2008 • 71 Posts

Here's my story of the day:

So my PS3's hard drive got corrupted and I only get the background, no menu. Music starts at the beginning but that's about it. Here are the messages I get.

"The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored".

I press OK, then:

"Restoring... do not turn off the system." (Oh, but wait)
"An error occurred during the restore operation. The hard disk must be formatted. All data on the hard disk will be deleted during formatting. Do you want to format?"

I press yes:

"If you format, all data on the hard disk will be deleted. This data cannot be restored. Are you sure you want to continue?
Yes, yet again

"Formatting... do not turn off the system."
(Reaches 11% then automatically shuts down)
What I did next was:

I transferred my hard drive to my friends PS3 and it wanted a 2.42 update. I got my flash drive, downloaded the 2.60, and shoved it so my PS3

Everything is correct (file names... EVERYTHING) but it reached to 99% and stopped. The little circle that you see at the top right hand corner doesn't move. Well... it does... but it stops and goes and has been doing so for the past hour.

ANOTHER 30mins later the thing finally finished, but now it says:

"No applicable update data was found. Insert storage media that contains update data version 2.60 or later, and then press START and SELECT buttons at the same time."

My flash drive does have the 2.60 update... so I guess my only choices are

1) Putting the hard drive in a laptop.

2) Buy a new hard drive.

I thik I'll resort to the new hard drive once I've done everything possible, but... anyone have links on the steps for my #1 option?

My PS3 has been acting weird since the I updated the firmware (I believe it's 2.60)... and then it practically died on me. Same happened with my friends PS3 (not all died, but most are freezing frequently).... however!! Out of all my friends, ONE PS3 survived (no problems at all) and that system is not connected to the internet and hasn't had updates. Coincidence? Please help me out, and let me know what you guys think.

hassanfadil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hassanfadil
Member since 2003 • 1051 Posts
The corruption problem happened to me before Try formatting using your PC by using external 2.5 SATA case then format it using your PS3
Unknown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Unknown15
Is it complicated? Do I need to download something to format it? I heard PC's don't recognize it and that I need to download couple stuff.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

There's something called Swiss Knife (or something along those lines) that formats HDDs to FAT32.

It's a free download program, I think.

hassanfadil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hassanfadil
Member since 2003 • 1051 Posts

There's something called Swiss Knife (or something along those lines) that formats HDDs to FAT32.

Scianix-Black

Yup Swiss knife and in XP you can go to control panel -->Administrative Tools --> Computer Management in Computer management under Storage choose disk management and format the PS3 HDD to any format and the PS3 would be able to format it to his file system but i recomment SK which Scianix-Black said but i haven't tried it

Format HDD

BlackendV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BlackendV
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
I used that program to format mine. that seemed to be a good one to use. CompuApps SwissKnife3.2 hope it helps.
Fyrhtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fyrhtu
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

Scianix-Black
I had to pay for mine, unless they've recently made it free.
Unknown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Unknown15
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avatarian101
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I was also told that you can hold the starts button on till it comes on and continue to hold it till you hear a beep and then quick double beep and let it go. It will then ask you to plug your controller into a USB cord then it will give you 6 options to chose from. Click #5 and it will reformat you hard drive. When i talked to SCE they told me to click on #3 but it didn't work so they are going to pay to get it shipped to them to fix.