Help! Disc Tray Noises :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

addish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 addish
Member since 2004 • 214 Posts

So maybe its just me being paranoid. But recently my 60GB UK PS3 has been making a grinding noise when i put discs in and out. I feel this only started to happen when i put my PS1 copy of MGS1 in.

Also when playing PS1 and PS2 games (MGS1 and Silent Hill 2 in this case) it seems like the console is working overtime and the fans are working a lot harder and louder than when i use a PS3 game.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 catlin_czirr
Member since 2007 • 2545 Posts
Hmm sometimes people tend to freak out about noises, i hear a buzzing from my Plasma that nobody else seems to hear and it drives me CRAZY! I know it's hard but just try and forget about the noise, or move really far away from your PS3, like put it on the other side of the room or something, then again it could be a problem, because mine (knock on wood) doesn't make any noise like that.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

So maybe its just me being paranoid. But recently my 60GB UK PS3 has been making a grinding noise when i put discs in and out. I feel this only started to happen when i put my PS1 copy of MGS1 in.

Also when playing PS1 and PS2 games (MGS1 and Silent Hill 2 in this case) it seems like the console is working overtime and the fans are working a lot harder and louder than when i use a PS3 game.

addish

You ever clean it? Maybe its just a little dusty?

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 catlin_czirr
[QUOTE="addish"]

jwat4

You ever clean it? Maybe its just a little dusty?

How would the inside of his PS3 be dusty? (where the noise is coming from) And even if it was how would he clean it?
bryankei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bryankei
Member since 2006 • 222 Posts

Make sure the disk are not warped.

addish
Agent_305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Agent_305
Member since 2007 • 758 Posts

PS3's are easy to internaly clean!:D

Just get a medium powered vacume and move it around the back of the PS3 where the fan is.:)

raly, i do this every few months and my PS3 is in great condish.;)

Make sure the vacume isnt too strong, it probably wont do any harm to it but PS3's are a bit flimsy.:(

Turn it on and put the vacume on your palm. hold it there for 10 seconds and after that, if there is a strong red ring, dont use it, if there is a light/little/no red ring, it will be safe to use! :)

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 catlin_czirr

Just get a medium powered vacume and move it around the back of the PS3 where the fan is.:)

Make sure the vacume isnt too strong, it probably wont do any harm to it but PS3's are a bit flimsy.:(

Turn it on and put the vacume on your palm. hold it there for 10 seconds and after that, if there is a strong red ring, dont use it, if there is a light/little/no red ring, it will be safe to use! :)

Agent_305
Uhh yeah DO NOT do this unless you want a non working PS3.
cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Hmm sometimes people tend to freak out about noises, i hear a buzzing from my Plasma that nobody else seems to hear and it drives me CRAZY! I know it's hard but just try and forget about the noise, or move really far away from your PS3, like put it on the other side of the room or something, then again it could be a problem, because mine (knock on wood) doesn't make any noise like that.catlin_czirr
my new HD tv does that lol
the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_new_neo
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
[QUOTE="Agent_305"]

catlin_czirr

Uhh yeah DO NOT do this unless you want a non working PS3.

First of all, it's a vacuum, not a vacume. second, he's right, thats how you stop your ps3 making funny sounds

ThisFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#10 ThisFire
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I'm surprised no one else said this (though cleaning it could be a good idea), but...

Where is your system situated? When it starts to get hot, it gets INTENSELY loud, with fans blaring etc Make sure it's got enough room to cool, and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I once had a piece of the sheet of plastic that covers the game sitting on top of my disk, and only saw it at the last minute, as it was being pulled into the machine. I grabbed it in time, but it could've gotten sucked in there. Any chance something like that might have happened? It could seriously mess up your machine.

Oh, and whoever said "warped disk" could be right, too.

Avatar image for marklovesbaseba
marklovesbaseba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 marklovesbaseba
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
Dont worry happened to me and went away after a week.Do u have an intercooler becuase those can make your system make 30 times more noise no joke.I took mine off and its quiet and never overheates.
DekuLinkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DekuLinkk
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Ok heres my story: I was playing some late night Call of Duty 4 and everything was jsut dandy. I finished playing and went to bed, dreaming about the intense gaming that would consume my saturday. when I woke up and flicked on the PS3, nothing seemed out of the ordindary. Until I told it to play the COD4 disk. It got to the title of the game when all of a sudden it just froze. the PS button didnt make the menu come up or anything. It was frozen. This had happened before (expecially playing Oblivion) so I just figured it was nothing, turned off the system and re booted it. As I made my second attemp and hit play, It got to the PLAYSTATION 3 logo. Then the screen went black for a couple seconds. After these phew blank seconds it went backl to me X-Bar (PS3 home-like thing) and said that an Error had occured loading the start operation. So know I was confused. I took out call of duty. No scratches, no oily finger marks, perfect. So I tried a different game. When the CD came up in my Bar it decided to doub it "Currupt Data" even though i had been playing that the night before also. So I turned off my system and waited about a half an hour. Tried again and it read it this time, but only got to the in game menu when it froze again. This constant freezing and "Error can not load start" has been happening for about a week now. Everytime it freezes it whirrs really loudly and seems to get hotter than usual. I have tried vacuums and it has not worked. Everytime I put a disk in, it makes a disk skipping sound, not unlike the PS2 disk skipping noises of doom. If anyone has had this problem or something like it, or has any ideas. I would be greatful!