Heavy Rain Ending....(MAJOR SPOILERS!!!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

Can you guys believe that Shelby is the killer?! That was UNREAL!!! I made sure to stay away from youtube videos and forums that might have spoilers on it, so the revealing of the killer really was a true surprise to me. Although I still think there were some flaws with the story and its continuity, I thought the choice of killer was brilliant. Not for a second did I think it was him. What did you guys think?

colejd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 colejd
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

When I saw the ending all I could say was "No way" over and over again. They really threw a curveball on that one. I didn't see it coming.

legionofdugi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 legionofdugi
Member since 2004 • 555 Posts
mo def didn't see it coming haha Great plot twist and awesome game, have you gotten all 18 endings yet?
Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Foxh0und666

mo def didn't see it coming haha Great plot twist and awesome game, have you gotten all 18 endings yet?legionofdugi

There's 18?! Wow that's insane. I only got 2.

SPOILERS

The one where jayden gives up his badge, madison and ethan end up together, and shelby is shot by ethan.

and

The one where jayden fights off shelby, gives up his addiction, shelby dies in the machine, ethan and madison end up together.

I rented it so I didn't have too much time to get all the endings, but it's definitely worth checking out.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Saw it coming. I wasn't even shocked when it was revealed that Shelby was the killer. I expected it.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22406 Posts
On my first playthrough, I knew the killer was either a cop or was a cop. I had a feeling it was Lieutenant Blake or the sargeant. But didn't see Shelby coming. What a great story/game it is.
Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Foxh0und666

Saw it coming. I wasn't even shocked when it was revealed that Shelby was the killer. I expected it.Doolz2024

Really? What gave it away? Honestly I never would have thought about the killer being one of your playable characters. I think that was what threw me off the most.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

It was an amazing moment, since Scott Shelby was probably my favourite character, then the twist just surprised me, in a good way :)

fishman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fishman100
Member since 2007 • 226 Posts

Me and my friend we both were BLOWN AWAY with the ending and the whole game. Now we are big fans of David Cage and Heavy Rain.

One thing i need to ask is that in the blackouts why was Ethan holding those Origami figures. Was it because his alter ego wanted him to think he is the origami killer. thats fits well.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

[QUOTE="legionofdugi"]mo def didn't see it coming haha Great plot twist and awesome game, have you gotten all 18 endings yet?Foxh0und666

There's 18?! Wow that's insane. I only got 2.

SPOILERS

The one where jayden gives up his badge, madison and ethan end up together, and shelby is shot by ethan.

and

The one where jayden fights off shelby, gives up his addiction, shelby dies in the machine, ethan and madison end up together.

I rented it so I didn't have too much time to get all the endings, but it's definitely worth checking out.

22 endings
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CleanNJerk

Me and my friend we both were BLOWN AWAY with the ending and the whole game. Now we are big fans of David Cage and Heavy Rain.

One thing i need to ask is that in the blackouts why was Ethan holding those Origami figures. Was it because his alter ego wanted him to think he is the origami killer. thats fits well.

fishman100
Can't that be something Shelby did?
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CleanNJerk
On my first playthrough, I knew the killer was either a cop or was a cop. I had a feeling it was Lieutenant Blake or the sargeant. But didn't see Shelby coming. What a great story/game it is. hrt_rulz01
LOL there's one part where i'm playing as the FBI, and i'm trying to find evidence of the Origami Killer, then what I do is accuse Blake and I get fired xD
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

I have a plothole problem with Heavy Rain. Naturally, I think Games Radar hit it quite well for me. Well, they covered most of my PLOTHOLES concerns:

The butterfly trial makes no sense. The contrived set-up of Shelby's second Saw-style test for Ethan would be impossible for any one man to put together. There is no logical way anyone could fill a complex tunnel system (comprising miles upon miles of chokey-tight crawl-space) with broken glass without painting themselves into a corner and getting cut to ribbons trying to get back out. And if Ethan is cramped in there, a man of Shelby's size would probably destroy himself just trying to get in, let alone escapingDoesItSeriouslyMatterGuyz
That said, the evidence kinda/sorta pointed more towards Ethan's psychologist, since he's the one that knew about his Schitzo. So yes, I was like "lolwat?" when I found out it was awesomesauce Shelby.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CleanNJerk
^ Regarding your quote it could just be that everything except for the match and writing on the Door,and the next clue wasn't placed by Shelby since it is an abandoned Eletrical Plant, and since when do video games have to make sense?
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

^ Regarding your quote it could just be that everything except for the match and writing on the Door,and the next clue wasn't placed by Shelby since it is an abandoned Eletrical Plant, and since when do video games have to make sense?CleanNJerk

Why should there be glass in the tunnel? And games have to make sense since they tell serious stories.

About Shelby: He matched the profile that Jayden set up perfectly. I didn't really expect him to be the killer, but the surprise wasn't too big.

edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
There was no chance for me to figure it out myself because the game was spoiled beforehand. My girlfriend figured it out durring Jayden's scene at the blue lagoon. The only character in the game who fit that body type was Shelby, so I was pretty impressed by her.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Symphonycometh
^ Regarding your quote it could just be that everything except for the match and writing on the Door,and the next clue wasn't placed by Shelby since it is an abandoned Eletrical Plant, and since when do video games have to make sense?CleanNJerk
A realistic video game using a realistic mystery with realistic reactions should have realistic logic. In my humble realistic opinion. =p
Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Abecale
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

I have a plothole problem with Heavy Rain. Naturally, I think Games Radar hit it quite well for me. Well, they covered most of my PLOTHOLES concerns: [quote="DoesItSeriouslyMatterGuyz"]The butterfly trial makes no sense. The contrived set-up of Shelby's second Saw-style test for Ethan would be impossible for any one man to put together. There is no logical way anyone could fill a complex tunnel system (comprising miles upon miles of chokey-tight crawl-space) with broken glass without painting themselves into a corner and getting cut to ribbons trying to get back out. And if Ethan is cramped in there, a man of Shelby's size would probably destroy himself just trying to get in, let alone escapingSymphonycometh

That said, the evidence kinda/sorta pointed more towards Ethan's psychologist, since he's the one that knew about his Schitzo. So yes, I was like "lolwat?" when I found out it was awesomesauce Shelby.

This. I tried to find the logic as to how all this broken glass got into the tunnel, but i just couldnt. Its a plothole.

The ending i got i think was the best one, Jayden got rid of his addiction, found out who the killer was with the final clues (by total random accident with the video footage), ethan found his son, set him free, Jayden came to the rescue, fought him off, killer died, and ethan, madison and shawn all live happily ever after in a new apartment in a new city. Now to play it again! :)

Plotholes aside, its a great game. Another plothole i found was when Madison goes to thier mum (elderly lady) in hospital, and she whispered to her the name of the killer, and she had a look of shock/surprise on her face. Why did she look surprised? She wouldnt have any idea who Scott Shelby was/is. She didnt know he was a cop til later, when she went to his apartment.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
The ending was freaking awesome. They didn't just throw a curveball. It was a damn knuckleball.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
It caught me off guard big time. I just didn't like the part in the clock repair shop. That was section was just lazy story telling.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Symphonycometh
Yeah, the shocked face was really weird. The moment I saw it, I was like "wait-what? It's obviously not Ethan, so why is she doing that? She doesn't even know anyone really."
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gameguy6700

The ending easily has one of, if not the most surprising plot twist in gaming to date. However, that's only because the twist makes no ****ing sense. Even back when I first saw it I was like "wtf, then how do you explain (insert list of items here)" but in the week or so after I've beaten it I've come to realize just how many huge issues there are with the twist.

For example:

• You can hear your characters' thoughts throughout the game. Every single time you check Shelby's thoughts on the case they're things that would only be thought by someone who was naive as to who the killer was. It makes no sense for Shelby to be THINKING about who the killer is when he's the killer.
  • Related to that, remember the graveyard scene? Shelby has no idea where his brother's grave is. He's also geniunely surprised by the flowers despite the fact that he's obviously visited the grave at least once before to put the oragami dog there.
  • In the typewriter shop you control Shelby the entire time. It's one of the most ridiculous retcons I've seen in any story when the game tries to claim that Shelby actually killed the shop owner.
  • Why is he so keen on helping out the mothers of his victims when the entire point of his investigation was to collect and destroy all the evidence he could? I mean, why not just let the woman who tried to commit suicide die, let the prostitute die in the car after it's plunged into the lake, and let the shopkeep get shot by the robber? Doing that would have been even better than collecting up all that evidence.
  • Why go after that rich kid so much? I mean, you would think that after all the threats and the attempt to buy him out that Shelby would have just let things go since he knew the kid wasn't the killer. I mean, maybe if Shelby was trying to frame the kid for all of the murders it would make sense, but at no point does he ever try to fabricate evidence.

On top of that there's the issues that Ethan's blackouts, visions of murdering kids right before an oragami killer story breaks out in the news, and the fact that he's always holding an oragami figure of the exact same type left on the bodies when he wakes up are never answered by the game. It would seem that the story originally had Ethan being an unwitting serial killer with a paranormal twist just like the story in Indigo Prophecy, but that direction got changed halfway through development and the writers forgot to go back and remove the parts suggesting Ethan as the killer from the game.

To be fair though, there were some clues that Shelby was the killer. For example, in the ARI recording of the fight scene in the nightclub, you can see the killer clasping his throat for a second as if he's having an asthma attack. Furthermore, Shelby claims that the "families of the victims of the oragami killer" want him to investigate the murders yet none of the people he interviews ever know who he is. And then there's the old typewriter you see sitting on his desk in the very same chapter where it's revealed that the envelope Melissa brings him was written on an old typewriter. However, all of that pales in comparison to the damning evidence against Ethan and the innumerable, gaping plot holes in the story.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy6700

Yeah, the shocked face was really weird. The moment I saw it, I was like "wait-what? It's obviously not Ethan, so why is she doing that? She doesn't even know anyone really."Symphonycometh

What makes it even weirder is that she doesn't even know who Scott Shelby is until she visits his office during the plot twist chapter. And bizarrely enough, immediately after she escapes the apartment she has the option of calling the FBI agent despite the fact that they NEVER meet in the entire game (or at least they didn't in my playthrough, maybe they do if you play things differently although that still doesn't explain why the option was available in my playthrough).

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

For the record there are only 7 endings.

joenofb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 joenofb
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I haven't heard anyone mention this so far but, I figured it out that Shelby was the killer as soon as he was talking about the killer using an old typewriter as he is sitting at his desk that HAS AN OLD TYPEWRITER AT IT. I realize that the "real" typewriter was in his secret room, but seriously, who uses a typewriter? That's when I knew who it was.

GripNRip73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 GripNRip73
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Saw it coming. I wasn't even shocked when it was revealed that Shelby was the killer. I expected it.Foxh0und666

Really? What gave it away? Honestly I never would have thought about the killer being one of your playable characters. I think that was what threw me off the most.

I saw it coming too. I figured it out when there were the two kids playing around and when you had to run and get help you can hear the little kid wheezing as he ran. Since Shelby has asthma, it made sense to connect that the little wheezing kid was a young Shelby.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I was literally speechless. Shelby had always been my least favorite of the four, but he was always such a nice guy. I'm glad that mother******* son of a ***** is dead. I still can't believe that. Quantic Dream knows how to tell a story. There need to be more Interactive Dramas.

Also, I can't wait for the new DLC. I want to see what Shelby is like as a murderous sociopath. And I want more Norman. I love Norman. I love the way Norman say Norman.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

On top of that there's the issues that Ethan's blackouts, visions of murdering kids right before an oragami killer story breaks out in the news, and the fact that he's always holding an oragami figure of the exact same type left on the bodies when he wakes up are never answered by the game. It would seem that the story originally had Ethan being an unwitting serial killer with a paranormal twist just like the story in Indigo Prophecy, but that direction got changed halfway through development and the writers forgot to go back and remove the parts suggesting Ethan as the killer from the game.

gameguy6700

This adds to the mystery of the game. It was revealed that Ethan hasschizophrenia(at least in my playthrough, I don't know about anyone else), so that explains the blackouts. As for the origami figures, I have no idea what that was about. All I know is that I'm glad Ethan isn't an unwilling killer. I like him too much.