Hardware differences between the black PS4 and white PS4?

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Izak80
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

Are there any hardware differences between the black PS4 and the white PS4? Why i'm asking is cause the White one came out about a year later and so there were plenty of time to fix the the poor quality of the rubber on the left and right controllers for example.

MarGera332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MarGera332
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I haven't heard of any differences. To be honest I haven't had any trouble with my controller either.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Izak80

@margera332:

So you haven't had a problem with the rubber peeling of your PS4 Controller?

MarGera332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MarGera332
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

No not at all, and I have put in quite a few hours on the PS4! So does the rubber peel from where you grip it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

There is no difference between the consoles themselves.. But I know Sony has long since fixed the rubber on the new models of dual shock 4, that goes for any colour of dualshock 4. You can tell from the model number at the back of the controller whether it's a new one and just by feeling the rubber itself. The problem I had though is I recently purchased a dualshock 4 and it was still the older model. So retailers obviously still have the older models mixed in with the new ones and it's probably hit or miss whether you actually get one of these new ones. I should think the ones supplied with the newest PS4 bundles will be the new model of Dualshock 4. White and Camo colours probably have the better chance at having the fixed rubber.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Izak80

@Crossel777:

Ok, what model number should i look for..i mean how do i know my PS4 comes from a new batch of consoles with fixed rubber quality?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

I made a tad mistake, it's not the model number that changed. It's the FCC ID code which I think you actually need to open the controller to see that code or at least I cannot see it on the back of my controller. The code for the new model is,

AK8CUHZCT1F1

This guy right here shows the difference between the new and the old models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NucbuFsaVy0

As for actually finding out if the new bundles will have these newer DualShock 4s(which they probably will). The only thing I could think of is either contacting Sony directly about it or asking someone that owns one of these new bundles. Either way, if the rubber on the analog sticks do wear away eventually. You could always just buy some analog stick grips from amazon or ebay. They're are ridiculously cheap.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

It must be really very hard to go to e-bay or even a game retail store and purchase a couple of thumb grips ......

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Izak80

@raugutcon said:

It must be really very hard to go to e-bay or even a game retail store and purchase a couple of thumb grips ......

No, it's not hard and i actually already bought a couple of thumb grips. I guess i'm that kind of guy..who wants to know ;)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts
@Crossel777 said:

I made a tad mistake, it's not the model number that changed. It's the FCC ID code which I think you actually need to open the controller to see that code or at least I cannot see it on the back of my controller. The code for the new model is,

AK8CUHZCT1F1

This guy right here shows the difference between the new and the old models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NucbuFsaVy0

As for actually finding out if the new bundles will have these newer DualShock 4s(which they probably will). The only thing I could think of is either contacting Sony directly about it or asking someone that owns one of these new bundles. Either way, if the rubber on the analog sticks do wear away eventually. You could always just buy some analog stick grips from amazon or ebay. They're are ridiculously cheap.

Wouldn't Sony have come out and acknowledged that they have fixed the rubbers on the Dualshock 4 controllers rather than leaving it in the dark? Also he says the new controller has a more matte finish compared to the old one? That's only because the controller is brand new out of the box. Lastly, when asked which one is better in the comments section he says "I don't think either is better. It's just a comparison". When someone else asks him if the new rubber is more durable than the old one he responds with "Yes but the texture can wear down. I put Xbox One sticks in mine". Honestly, I don't think this is the most credible source.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@BattleSpectre:

Why do Sony have to acknowledge anything about the rubber wearing down? Its not their fault if people treat the controllers like garbage. If there was an inherent fault in the hardware they could have a callback, but this isn't that, its natural.

Its wear-and-tear, natural progression, gods doing etc etc.

Maybe its a design choice, maybe they like keeping the rubber manufacturers in business, who knows, but you can't say they need to acknowledge a fault.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BattleSpectre
@GTR12 said:

@BattleSpectre:

Why do Sony have to acknowledge anything about the rubber wearing down? Its not their fault if people treat the controllers like garbage. If there was an inherent fault in the hardware they could have a callback, but this isn't that, its natural.

Maybe its a design choice, maybe they like keeping the rubber manufacturers in business, who knows, but you can't say they need to acknowledge a fault.

I think you misunderstood me completely. If Sony went ahead and changed the rubbers to make them more durable, I'm pretty sure they would have said something about it as it's something a lot of people have been complaining about on their controllers, Sony has been made aware of the problem and it's the courteous thing to do and let everyone know it's been fixed. (I've been lucky, both my launch controllers are still fine). But still, some people were complaining that the rubber on their controller was wearing down after a few weeks, to me that doesn't sound normal. We're spending a lot of money on the console, I'd expect the rubber on the controllers to last a lot longer than that.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12

@BattleSpectre said:
@GTR12 said:

@BattleSpectre:

I think you misunderstood me completely. If Sony went ahead and changed the rubbers to make them more durable, I'm pretty sure they would have said something about it as it's something a lot of people have been complaining about on their controllers (I've been lucky, both my launch controllers are still fine). But still, some people were complaining that the rubber on their controller was wearing down after a few weeks, to me that doesn't sound normal.

Nope, I understood, but people ALWAYS complain about new tech all the time. They always find some fault/flaw with it, there's no point in Sony acknowledging anything, because people will complain about something else.

"Oh the new rubbers hurt my fingers"

"Oh fix the battery Sony, 6hrs isn't enough" Who can even play that long...

"My PS4 wobbles"

And that very recent one on GS about that tiny manufacturing fault, where it had a tiny mark.

My point is that, people always complain and want everything perfect, we even have that "PSN is slow" thread. Sony could if they wanted to just make the rubbers more durable (even though there's nothing wrong IMO) and not tell anyone.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BattleSpectre

@GTR12: Yeah I get what you're saying about finding something else to complain about, but surely the rubber wearing down after a few weeks is not considered normal. Maybe it was a bad batch of controllers or something, it'd be interesting to see how many people have had this happen to them.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12

@BattleSpectre:

Unless I see with my own eyes that its wearing down after a few weeks, I wont believe it.

Just for boredom's sake, even if 1 million people had defective DS4's, that's only 7% of people, I used 15 million sold and I rounded up, the number is well higher than 15 million.

And after that fiasco last gen about the RROD, if this was a major problem, then Sony would have addressed the issue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

@BattleSpectre:

Wait what? A credible source? How is it not credible source when theres literally thousands upon thousands of people having this same exact issue with the rubber wearing out all over the internet, from youtube, to costumer reviews, to forum posts, to images. What else do you want really?

Or are you trying to discredit the fact that Sony actually fixed it because that has been stated many times as well. Is it really that hard to believe that a company has stealth fixed this issue because companies have been known to do that with their products. Either because they simply don't want to admit that such an amateurish issue with their product exists or they only see it as a minor issue that is affecting a small amount of people. Also I've felt the rubber on these new dualshock 4s myself and it is like he said a lot more durable and doesn't feel cheap. There probably is a much better source out there though that states the dualshock 4 has been fixed of it's rubber issues. If you called Sony customer support about it, they'd probably tell you themselves.

They've also even made slight changes to the newer PS4 models themselves

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/21/new-ps4-cuh-1100-and-old-cuh-1000-model-compared-differences-found-and-analyzed/

In order to make it slightly more cooler, more lightweight and to cut costs yet you don't see Sony saying anything about that do you?

Also the rubber on the Dualshock 4 isn't it's only issue it's suffering from. Recently I myself had an issue with the R2 trigger sticking in place which I figured to myself that maybe I did some how mistreat it?(which was so very far from the truth) So I went to my good old friend google and a low and behold people are actually having the exact same issue with R2 button sticking in place and have labelled it "stick rot", this time it's the very thin hinge on the trigger breaking away the more you press the damn thing. More cheap plastic. Thank you Sony. I have zero idea whether they've fixed this at all but my only alternative was to either buy a new controller for £55 or buy new trigger buttons.

Edit: I don't want to triple post, so I'll post this here, http://www.awesomegames.co.uk/sonys-finally-fixed-the-dualshock-4 That is a bit more credible than some guys video.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

@GTR12:

Let's not forget that PS3 had it's own issues with the yellow light of death which was also a very similar issue to XBOX 360's RROD and mainly happened to most early FAT PS3 models. The issue being that the soldering which attaches the graphics card/CPU to the motherboard was so cheap that it would break apart due to the immense amount of heat coming from the system thus disconnecting the GPU/CPU from the motherboard. Sony of course didn't acknowledge this as an issue but they did stealth fix it in the newer FAT PS3 models and slimline PS3s. Even though countless people where crying out as to why the hell their PS3s suddenly broke down after a mere 6 months to 1 year of use, they would just simply be told they're "mistreating their consoles" by those that haven't had these issues that blindly think that their console is immune to all issues and that Sony would never create a faulty product. Little do they know that these issues do exist and Sony is not the god of all hardware creation.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Crossel777: I meant I don't think that guy (the one who made the video) is a credible source on stating that it's been fixed because he himself when asked about both controllers says "I don't think either is better. It's just a comparison". And then when asked if the new rubber is more durable the guy that made the video says "Yes but the texture can wear down. I put Xbox One sticks in mine". So he doesn't really sound confident that it's been fixed.

But hey thanks for posting those other articles, I wasn't aware that they made improvements on the controller, that's good to know. This generation my favourite controller is definitely the Dualshock 4 and like I said I haven't had problems with either of my controllers. All good.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Izak80

Good to know that Sony fixed the rubber on the controllers.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12

@Crossel777 said:

@GTR12:

Let's not forget that PS3 had it's own issues with the yellow light of death which was also a very similar issue to XBOX 360's RROD and mainly happened to most early FAT PS3 models. The issue being that the soldering which attaches the graphics card/CPU to the motherboard was so cheap that it would break apart due to the immense amount of heat coming from the system thus disconnecting the GPU/CPU from the motherboard. Sony of course didn't acknowledge this as an issue but they did stealth fix it in the newer FAT PS3 models and slimline PS3s. Even though countless people where crying out as to why the hell their PS3s suddenly broke down after a mere 6 months to 1 year of use, they would just simply be told they're "mistreating their consoles" by those that haven't had these issues that blindly think that their console is immune to all issues and that Sony would never create a faulty product. Little do they know that these issues do exist and Sony is not the god of all hardware creation.

Way to miss my whole point of that post.

IF IT WAS A MAJOR PROBLEM, Sony would have addressed the issue.

I only mentioned the RROD because IT WAS a big problem, if this rubber wearing down problem is just as big, then that warrants an explanation from Sony, clearly its not a big enough problem to issue a statement.

And just from my own experience (if you want to call it that), a few of my friends in real-life bought PS4's roughly a month after release, and none of them have said anything about the rubber on the sticks wearing out. All up, its about 10 controllers total between 6 friends, and I have also used them, and they feel fine.

I'm not posting pictures because there is no point IMO.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Fingers crossed, so far my controller rubber is holding up fine (GTA/TLOU BF Bundle)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#22 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

AK8CUHZCT1F1

I have a white PS4 from the Destiny bundle and that's the ID that's on the back of my controller. My thumbsticks don't look like they're about to peel off or anything so I guess that's something I don't have to worry about, yay!

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I've never had problems with the DS4 sticks. My problem has been with the actual triggers. They seem to break or loosen very easily.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Izak80

@SoNin360:

I'll look for that number when i get the console.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

the white one still wombles lol

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Terrencec06: Mine doesn't, steady as a rock.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xantufrog  Moderator

@Terrencec06 said:

You got a dud, mate. Mine has zero wiggle in the analogs - honestly I'm nothing but impressed with the construction of mine. Hefty, solid, flex-free, snappy buttons, triggers, analog...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTR12
@xantufrog said:

@Terrencec06 said:

You got a dud, mate. Mine has zero wiggle in the analogs - honestly I'm nothing but impressed with the construction of mine. Hefty, solid, flex-free, snappy buttons, triggers, analog...

He said wobble, not wiggle, well he meant to say wobble ;p

Push down on the front-right of the PS4, it'll wobble or womble lol.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Terrencec06

@GTR12: yea my bad, wobbles lol

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Terrencec06

@Epak_: Really? Do you have yours on a flat surface and pushing down on the correct side?

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@xantufrog: He's talking about the console itself that wobbles. Not the analog sticks on the controller.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@FinalFighters said:

@xantufrog: He's talking about the console itself that wobbles. Not the analog sticks on the controller.

Thanks for the clarification - but why is that "a thing"? In what circumstance is someone pushing down on the right side of the console (and upset that it doesn't sit flush)?

I just went and poked at mine - it sits 100% flush, by the way... no lopsidedness or wobble

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Epak_

@GTR12 said:
@xantufrog said:

@Terrencec06 said:

OMG you're right, the upper-right side wobbles :P

Edit: All the other corners are fine. Can't say it bothers me one bit though.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xantufrog  Moderator

@Epak_ said:

@GTR12 said:

OMG you're right, the upper-right side wobbles :P

Edit: All the other corners are fine. Can't say it bothers me one bit though.

Really? Pushing down on it? I couldn't get mine to wobble at any of the corners or sides. Maybe I got lucky?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Epak_

@xantufrog: Yeah it wobbles when I push it down.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Izak80

Just got my PS4 and it says Jet Black and follow ny a product code "CUH-1116A"?