GTA: Chinatown Wars On The PSP Is a Total Rip-off, Find Out Why

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I'll make this short, if you haven't played the DS game, then please stop reading this post here, because it's worth playing, but if you have, read on.

Fellow GTA fans, I have just played 10 minutes of GTA: Chinatown Wars on the PSP, and I can tell you here and now, it is a total cash-in by Rockstar, shame on them, I'm completely dissapointed, why? Well first off, no voice acting, yup, you read that right, no voice acting at all, it's all text, it's the same game in that department, secondly, the music has been improved quality-wise, but there are no additions to the radio stations, they just dragged and dropped what was on the DS and added it here, same game in that department as well, the cutscenes are the same as well, albeit improved textures and a wider screen make it better to view. The only differences I've seen thus far are the following:

* The touch screen features are now replaced by button inputs, and this was gonna be an obvious omission, in my opinion it took away the most innovative and interesting part of the whole game, so it's a definite minus in my book.

* Music plays during cut-scenes, unlike on the DS where cut-scenes were mostly completely silent.

All in all, if you've played the DS game, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, don't let the critic scores fool you, they're judging it with the assumption that the DS game doesn't exist, I would have posted this as a game review, but last I checked, I'm unable to for now, but I will post one once the user review section of the game is open.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#2 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I didn't really expect R* to add much. I mean, it's only a port after all, and they've never really add that much extra content in previous ports of GTA games.

* Music plays during cut-scenes, unlike on the DS where cut-scenes were mostly completely silent.

Aero5555

Music also played in cutscenes of the DS version.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Aero5555

Music also played in cutscenes of the DS version.

SpinoRaptor24

Yes, but what I what talking about here are the mission breifing cut-scenes specifically, for example, the first mission breifing when he visits his uncle's restaurant. I may be mistaken because I beat the DS game a long while ago, but I don't recall music being played during those scenes.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

It seems you did not realize it was going to be a port.

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
You really don't, understand the, proper use of, commas do, you... Seriously though, what did you expect other than a port? It's not meant for an expansion upon the DS version, it's for those who own a psp and not a DS. It reviewed well because it is still a strong game. It has to be reviewed upon it's own merits and not based on the fact that DS owners have already seen what it has to offer.
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Aero5555

Just in case I'm being misunderstood as someone bashing Rockstar over a game that was meant to be a port, my main point here is to warn people who are (as I were) going back and forth as to whether this game is worth it having played the DS version, and I've played Vice City Stories on the PS2 when it was released and I was happy with it because I hadn't bought the PSP game (I knew it was gonna get ported), so I understand how those who haven't played the DS game feel. But anyway, regarldless of it being a port, it still is a dissapointment, I mean, yeah LCS and VCS were ports on the PS2 same as Chinatown Wars, but the real big difference on those ports is that you could play them on a big screen TV, this was the best thing about those ports, but that feeling is missing in Chinatown Wars.

Bottomline, so much potential gone down the toilet.

You really don't, understand the, proper use of, commas do, you...i_noseworthy

And you really don't, understand that, English is, a second language, to most people, in this world...

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Seeing as this is a forum for PSP users and not DS users, why should we care about the difference or similarities to one of the highest-rated games on the DS? I think we as PSP users SHOULD basically assume that the DS version doesn't exsist and so should the critics... why should I care? If I want to play the DS version it's going to cost me a substantial amount more than if I just buy the PSP version (seeing as I'm a PSP user), that's the system I have and not a DS...

... you're stirring a cloud over nothing. If the PSP version rates high and plays well, who cares what the DS version did?

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Seeing as this is a forum for PSP users and not DS users, why should we care about the difference or similarities to one of the highest-rated games on the DS? I think we as PSP users SHOULD basically assume that the DS version doesn't exsist and so should the critics... why should I care? If I want to play the DS version it's going to cost me a substantial amount more than if I just buy the PSP version (seeing as I'm a PSP user), that's the system I have and not a DS...

... you're stirring a cloud over nothing. If the PSP version rates high and plays well, who cares what the DS version did?

ston3henge

This x100.

But hey here on GS we're used to people complaining over nothing! Just enjoy the game.

/thread

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#10 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

ston3henge

Wow....was this really necessary? There are a lot of people who are both PSP and DS gamers out there. He's just warning the people that have already played it on the DS that it's not worth buying again. No need to bash him for it.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ston3henge

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

Luigi12901

Wow....was this really necessary? There are a lot of people who are both PSP and DS gamers out there. He's just warning the people that have already played it on the DS that it's not worth buying again. No need to bash him for it.

There's no bashing there, read it again. I said that this is a PSP forum and that we as PSP users are only interested in the game on THIS platform. The poster isindeed stirring a cloud over nothing here. Nothing. The game is NOT a total rip-off. That is a lie. The game is a PORT, and therefore bound to be derivative of the original game with minor changes. Pointing out that the touch screen stuff is missing is superfluous to the PSP gamer. Lack of voice acting is also something we as PSP gamers are rather used to... but this will hardly make the game a "Rip-Off".

Now, glad that you are a multi-platform gamer with all that extra time and money to support your interest, but most of us aren't. This forum is for PSP, any comparrisons or contrasting views about systems belongs somewhere else but certainly not here. These are all simple facts, not bashing.

The only attitude you hear in my post has been injected by your own mind, not my words. Go with Christ. ;)

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

Luigi12901

Which they should already know, seeing how its a port.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
Dance Magic Dance :)
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Just in case I'm being misunderstood as someone bashing Rockstar over a game that was meant to be a port, my main point here is to warn people who are (as I were) going back and forth as to whether this game is worth it having played the DS version, and I've played Vice City Stories on the PS2 when it was released and I was happy with it because I hadn't bought the PSP game (I knew it was gonna get ported), so I understand how those who haven't played the DS game feel. But anyway, regarldless of it being a port, it still is a dissapointment, I mean, yeah LCS and VCS were ports on the PS2 same as Chinatown Wars, but the real big difference on those ports is that you could play them on a big screen TV, this was the best thing about those ports, but that feeling is missing in Chinatown Wars.

[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]You really don't, understand the, proper use of, commas do, you...Aero5555

And you really don't, understand that, English is, a second language, to most people, in this world...

Which is, of course, just unfortunate :lol:

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

ston3henge

There's no bashing there, read it again. I said that this is a PSP forum and that we as PSP users are only interested in the game on THIS platform. The poster isindeed stirring a cloud over nothing here. Nothing. The game is NOT a total rip-off. That is a lie. The game is a PORT, and therefore bound to be derivative of the original game with minor changes. Pointing out that the touch screen stuff is missing is superfluous to the PSP gamer. Lack of voice acting is also something we as PSP gamers are rather used to... but this will hardly make the game a "Rip-Off".

Now, glad that you are a multi-platform gamer with all that extra time and money to support your interest, but most of us aren't. This forum is for PSP, any comparrisons or contrasting views about systems belongs somewhere else but certainly not here. These are all simple facts, not bashing.

The only attitude you hear in my post has been injected by your own mind, not my words. Go with Christ. ;)

Alright, I apologize for what I said earlier. Perhaps 'bashing' wasn't the best word choice. But I'm just saying that not everybody here in the PSP forum is PSP-only. I don't see how he's comparing systems, per-se. Comparing features within the games, possibly. (Maybe this is better suited for General Games discussion?) But it's still true that a lot of people who've already played GTA: CW on DS won't find it worth buying again. It's not a rip-off for those who haven't played it yet, or who thoroughly enjoyed it on DS.

Again, I apologize for putting words (and attitudes?)into your mouth that you didn't intend to say...this was definitely not my intent.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Aero5555

One last note, the fact that voice acting isn't included is unforgivable in my opinion and alot of people mentioned how unforgivable it would be if it happened (which it did), I made a huge mistake, and I hope that nobody faces the regret I faced with this dumb purchase decision, I'll wait for comparison reviews next time. Sorry if this is the wrong section to post the thread, but I figured people who'd wanna read a comparison between the 2 versions would browse this forum first, and the fact that this is a PSP only forum is irrelevant to me, because like I said my main point is to warn people of how worthless the game is if you already own the DS edition, heck, the text looks smaller and you lose most of the conversation interactions during missions because you're attention is drawn to outruning the cops... etc. All this because they didn't include voice-acting, totally unforgivable.

jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasontdoto
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts

i dont give a .. ok ok i will remain calm, one thing i learned over the years, DONT BET AGAINST ROCKSTAR. I am so happy this game came to PSP. i don't own a DS, nor do I intend to own one due to my personal preference in PSP. I was so jealous when DS got chinatown and we did not. Again, if you under estimate this game because it is not made in 3d, you will miss out on something great. some things in life can be best if kept simple (like breasts!? and cars?!..).

I will be getting this game this weekend. I already know ROCKSTAR never lets me down. just by reading some of the critics and by watching video, I know I won't be proved wrong. In Rockstar I trust!

The title of this thread is misleading. this game is not a total-rip off if you never played it before. and if you already played the DS version, there is very little reason for you to purchase it again for the psp. This game is a port and rockstar never intended to make significant changes to it. Me as a gamer who never tried chinatown before now gets to play a better version of it(IMO). I am glad the touch screen options are left out. I am a hardcore gamer, and the touch screen does not appeal to me one bit.

jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jasontdoto

[QUOTE="Aero5555"]

[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]You really don't, understand the, proper use of, commas do, you...SadPSPAddict

no it's not unfortunate. having a close mind and not accepting other culture is what's truly unfortunate.
Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

One last note, the fact that voice acting isn't included is unforgivable in my opinion and alot of people mentioned how unforgivable it would be if it happened (which it did), I made a huge mistake, and I hope that nobody faces the regret I faced with this dumb purchase decision, I'll wait for comparison reviews next time. Sorry if this is the wrong section to post the thread, but I figured people who'd wanna read a comparison between the 2 versions would browse this forum first, and the fact that this is a PSP only forum is irrelevant to me, because like I said my main point is to warn people of how worthless the game is if you already own the DS edition, heck, the text looks smaller and you lose most of the conversation interactions during missions because you're attention is drawn to outruning the cops... etc. All this because they didn't include voice-acting, totally unforgivable.

Aero5555

I'm probably missing something here, but did you do any research on this game before buying it? All of your complaints are in reference to facts that I have known about sinse August (thanks to Hands-On previews and whatnot). You really didn't mention anything new at all. That and you're wrong about the radio stations. There is new music. In fact, I'm pretty sure the PSP version has new stations. The back cover of the box mentions "over 200 minutes of music". I'm sure the DS version had much less than that.

The game is a little expensive unfortunately. I think $29.99 (USD) would have been more like it. Otherwise, this game really is all it set out to be on the PSP. I got everything I expected because I knew what to expect.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Obviously the poster didnt read ANY of the previews of the game that stated there would NOT be voice acting...but the same txt, same mini games, more missions and graphical updates.

I will say this, if you OWN a DS and have the game, dont bother buying it for PSP...but many PSP owners dont own a DS, so go and buy it!

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

its not a TOTAL rip-off unless it's a LOWER quality game than the DS version. If the graphics are WORSE and the music is cut out all together or something, then I could see your point. But if the game is = to the HIGHLY scored DS game, then it is not a ripoff. It's a half-hearted port. Which we know Rockstar does at times. I played Liberty City Stories on the ps2, and found out that when Rockstar ports a game they DO NOT improve the game at all. So now i know if u want the best GTA experience, buy the game on the platform it was released on first.

and really saying you shouldnt get this game if you already have it on DS.... thats just stating the obvious. VERY few people that own the game on the DS are expecting the game to be different on the PSP. They know its the SAME GAME with minor changes (good and bad). thats the definition of a port.

darkPSPfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkPSPfan
Member since 2007 • 4934 Posts

ston3henge
im really starting to like your posts :D
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#24 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

[QUOTE="SadPSPAddict"]

[QUOTE="Aero5555"]

jasontdoto

no it's not unfortunate. having a close mind and not accepting other culture is what's truly unfortunate.

Irony my friend irony 8)however you are of coursecorrect

Ceneb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ceneb
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts
I didn't except to much things newer, Vice City Stories was the main game on the PSP when it comes to GTA. As well as Liberty City Stories.
jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jasontdoto

those that will be purchasing this game-- from what i can tell from the reviews is that the PSN version saves a lot faster than if you have umd. GTA UMD in your psp takes 17 seconds to save!! "on the UMD version of the game -- the autosave takes a hair-raising 17 seconds"(IGN review) Saving manually takes 9 seconds!! can disable auto save atleast.

"If you're running the digital version, the autosave is five seconds and the manual save is about one second" (IGN review). So there is good benefit that you do get by downloading a digital copy from psn store.

I guess in game voice acting would have been the icing on the cake, but hey, i am happy reading the subtitles as long as the story is engaging.

zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

I'll make this short, if you haven't played the DS game, then please stop reading this post here, because it's worth playing, but if you have, read on.

Fellow GTA fans, I have just played 10 minutes of GTA: Chinatown Wars on the PSP, and I can tell you here and now, it is a total cash-in by Rockstar, shame on them, I'm completely dissapointed, why? Well first off, no voice acting, yup, you read that right, no voice acting at all, it's all text, it's the same game in that department, secondly, the music has been improved quality-wise, but there are no additions to the radio stations, they just dragged and dropped what was on the DS and added it here, same game in that department as well, the cutscenes are the same as well, albeit improved textures and a wider screen make it better to view. The only differences I've seen thus far are the following:

* The touch screen features are now replaced by button inputs, and this was gonna be an obvious omission, in my opinion it took away the most innovative and interesting part of the whole game, so it's a definite minus in my book.

All in all, if you've played the DS game, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, don't let the critic scores fool you, they're judging it with the assumption that the DS game doesn't exist, I would have posted this as a game review, but last I checked, I'm unable to for now, but I will post one once the user review section of the game is open.

Aero5555

There was very little/no voice acting in the DS version, I hated the fact that I was always fumbling with my stylus, I never did any of the touch screen mini games, and I think using a nub to drive is going to be better than the DS's crappy D pad. I'm buying this. Period.

Gambitcrawfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambitcrawfish
Member since 2003 • 131 Posts

Wait, so they gave a similar score to a game that was pretty much a direct port with some fancier graphics and a few extra perk features?

Say it isn't so! I mean, the audacity to bring a game to TWO different systems...and give it similar scores...why, it's like what if they made a game for both360 and PS3! They deserve the same score? BALDERDASH I CRY! BALDERDASH!

Shame on Gamespot and shame on Rockstar! Clearly bringing the game to a wider audience is monumental mistake! THIS GAME DESERVES A 3!

Maybe a 3.5...

Maybe. If that much...

gho5ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gho5ty
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts

i can SAY WOW because sum of you are bashing the GTACTW only true and i mean TRUE fans would know GTA from the PSX days, and not jumping on the game from ps2 days.Anyway its GTA its better then nothing and i still give it a 10

miless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 miless
Member since 2005 • 715 Posts

Wait, so they gave a similar score to a game that was pretty much a direct port with some fancier graphics and a few extra perk features?Gambitcrawfish

Yeah the same people that gave a 6.4 on one system and a perfect 8 for the EXACTLY same versions of GTA 1 (I still consider the DOS version better, it had the normal grayish road , who makes purple asphalt for gods sake?) People should realize reviewers are not gods and they are not forced to agree with them. Start making your own opinions.Please!

Daniel72296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Daniel72296
Member since 2009 • 1930 Posts
[QUOTE="darkPSPfan"][QUOTE="ston3henge"]

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

It's just a port. Don't expect it to be have features that remakes have.

KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

It's not a ripoff to people who haven't played the ds version. Fool

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
You've just help me make my decision. :D I think I know what I'm going to get it for now.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ston3henge

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

darkPSPfan

Thank ya, Dark/Fan!!! :D

I try, I try...

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

i dont give a .. ok ok i will remain calm, one thing i learned over the years, DONT BET AGAINST ROCKSTAR. I am so happy this game came to PSP. i don't own a DS, nor do I intend to own one due to my personal preference in PSP. I was so jealous when DS got chinatown and we did not. Again, if you under estimate this game because it is not made in 3d, you will miss out on something great. some things in life can be best if kept simple (like breasts!? and cars?!..).

I will be getting this game this weekend. I already know ROCKSTAR never lets me down. just by reading some of the critics and by watching video, I know I won't be proved wrong. In Rockstar I trust!

The title of this thread is misleading. this game is not a total-rip off if you never played it before. and if you already played the DS version, there is very little reason for you to purchase it again for the psp. This game is a port and rockstar never intended to make significant changes to it. Me as a gamer who never tried chinatown before now gets to play a better version of it(IMO). I am glad the touch screen options are left out. I am a hardcore gamer, and the touch screen does not appeal to me one bit.

jasontdoto

FYI, this game is 3D.

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
w/e it's a cool game regardless of what whiners might say.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

well im getting it off psn tomorrow. and as i dont own a ds the psp version will be great as far as i know

Rundeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rundeer
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
Your points may be valid, OP, but none of them really bother me. I'll still probably get it for PSP if the iPhone version doesn't come out soon.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I have the DS version, but after playing the PSP version I cant go back to the DS version. I don't want to sound like a graphics whore, but Jesus Christ graphics do make a difference :P Its like night and day between the 2 games.
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

HMMM i thought it is suppose to be the same game ??? was there a time when Rockstar release a statement claiming that they would be 2 different games ??? This IS NOT A SONY EXCLUSIVE NOR WAS THERE TRICKY ADVERTISEMENT HINTING TO IT BEING A EXCLUSIVE.

lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

I have the DS version, but after playing the PSP version I cant go back to the DS version. I don't want to sound like a graphics whore, but Jesus Christ graphics do make a difference :P Its like night and day between the 2 games.II_Seraphim_II

I am a GRAPHIC WHORE AND PROUD OF IT.

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
its just a port, lol dont expect it to be changed into 3rd person perspective, and like other people said, if you already played this game on the ds, its not that much worth buying on the psp