GT5:P is underwhelming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

I mean everyone keeps going on about the graphics and yeah the cars look great while standing still but when actually playing the game theres no AA so all I see is alot of jaggies on the cars and it's like OMG why not just put in AA, i'm sure you can configure it so one of the SPE's can do it instead of the GPU like PC's can do. Another thing is the backgrounds are just pretty low detail and poor, the mountain from GT HD looks nice and all and some of london but they could have made more of a effort with it because the cars look sooo outta place on most of the tracks.. specially the ones with grass.

I find the sound effects to be pretty poor aswel and frigging they sound like they come from a old GT game and the skidding noise is like the same noise every time and sounds like it's from GT lol. Most of the engines don't sound right too and for a game going for such visual realism, it doesn't sound very realistic. Also wheres all the great music like the original games have? Seems like a step back for me there.

Onto gameplay it's just no different from the other GT games but with less content and I know this is meant to be like a prologue to GT5 but we already had a GT HD and they are charging alot for this one... feels like a odd move to me, how about just frigging releasing GT5 already? You just know now with GT5 that it's going to use all the tracks and cars models from GT5:P but they'll just add more content... they better have a option to upgrade cause I ain't paying pull price again for what will be the same game.

My final problem is theres no damage to the cars which I just find dated, arcadey and just not very fun. With games like Dirt and while not perfect what I found fun was the cars damaging quite realisticly and just seeing parts hanging off and having mechanical failures and stuff and I wish all this was in GT5... sure you can say the engien failed but I want to see it happening! It's the year 2008 so please finally put it in the frigging game cause I hate seeing myself bounce off other cars all the time.

I know theres going to be alot of Sony crying fanbois to the rescue here but please this isn't a console war thread to make you get all worked up about, this is a GT5:P sucks thread.

the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 the_new_neo
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
I was thinking of getting it, one question: is there an option for motion sensor steering?
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts
Regarding the car damage, you may be able to see that in the North American release of the game- a recent interview with Kazunori Yamauchi, the series creator, reveals they are getting close to putting it all there. The problem isn't Sony or Polyphony, though- it's the car manufacturers not wanting to see their cars wrecked.
SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts
I think GT5P is a great game, especially considering the price. However, the graphics aren't as good as some of the pics i've seen which is a bit of a dissapointement.
Gimli87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gimli87
Member since 2004 • 85 Posts
I don't see any jaggies with my settings. I think the sounds have greatly improved from previous GTs. In my opinion the new physics are so good that driving with almost any car is enjoyable, something I wouldn't say about old Gran Turismos. I agree I would like to see damage too, but while playing I don't miss it at all. Maybe it's because I don't collide with other cars that much.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
What do you mean there is no AA. Pretty much all games use it to some degree.
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
How is the online play?
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Well every review I've read disagrees with your first three points and quite frankly I trust them way more than you. lol

As far as damage, the way the cars handle is far more important to me than damage since I don't intend on crashing into anything or anyone. Yes DiRT had great damage modeling, but the cars also turned like you took them, drove a pole straight down the middle, put it on ice, and pushed it from the side.

SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

How is the online play?f50p90

I've only played one game but it seems really good. It's quick and easy to get into a game. I was expecting people to be bashing each other off the road but it's almost impossible now. Whenever you try to bash a car all that happens is the car gets a slight nudge while you go skidding off the road. It was funny to see a few people do that and end up coming in last place :lol:

But like i said, i've only played one game, but i really enjoyed it and i'll be playing it a lot more when i get better cars.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
I gotta be honest i just unpacked my GT5 P this afternoon and i'm kinda annoyed by the distinct lack of AA.. there are jaggies all over the track background, and on the cars specially things like the spoilers. Whats more i've noticed some probs with shadows, looking like boxes and really damaging the overall look of the game. Tbh i was expecting a 10 for graphics, this is a 7.5/8.
truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

Well every review I've read disagrees with your first three points and quite frankly I trust them way more than you. lol

As far as damage, the way the cars handle is far more important to me than damage since I don't intend on crashing into anything or anyone. Yes DiRT had great damage modeling, but the cars also turned like you took them, drove a pole straight down the middle, put it on ice, and pushed it from the side.

The_Rick_14

Yea and also Your not playing GT 5. "Im guessing your probably not playing GT P :shock:" But people have to remember that fact! No one has played or even seen GT 5.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

truenextgen

Yea and also Your not playing GT 5. "Im guessing your probably not playing GT P :shock:" But people have to remember that fact! No one has played or even seen GT 5.

Prologue is Gran Turismo 5, but it's just the Prologue. It has the # 5 in the title for a reason.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 truenextgen
So why release a GT 5. If this is GT5?
xkal318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xkal318
Member since 2007 • 481 Posts

first off, love the sig pic ^

second, gt5p is just a preview a la gt4p, i dont think im gonna put 40 down for it tho, i can hold out until the real game comes out in a year

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Rick_14
[QUOTE="truenextgen"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

BioShockOwnz

Prologue is Gran Turismo 5, but it's just the Prologue. It has the # 5 in the title for a reason.

His point was that Prologue doesn't necessarily determine the quality of GT5. Hence why its called Prologue.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I mean everyone keeps going on about the graphics and yeah the cars look great while standing still but when actually playing the game theres no AA so all I see is alot of jaggies on the cars and it's like OMG why not just put in AA, i'm sure you can configure it so one of the SPE's can do it instead of the GPU like PC's can do. Another thing is the backgrounds are just pretty low detail and poor, the mountain from GT HD looks nice and all and some of london but they could have made more of a effort with it because the cars look sooo outta place on most of the tracks.. specially the ones with grass.

I find the sound effects to be pretty poor aswel and frigging they sound like they come from a old GT game and the skidding noise is like the same noise every time and sounds like it's from GT lol. Most of the engines don't sound right too and for a game going for such visual realism, it doesn't sound very realistic. Also wheres all the great music like the original games have? Seems like a step back for me there.

Onto gameplay it's just no different from the other GT games but with less content and I know this is meant to be like a prologue to GT5 but we already had a GT HD and they are charging alot for this one... feels like a odd move to me, how about just frigging releasing GT5 already? You just know now with GT5 that it's going to use all the tracks and cars models from GT5:P but they'll just add more content... they better have a option to upgrade cause I ain't paying pull price again for what will be the same game.

My final problem is theres no damage to the cars which I just find dated, arcadey and just not very fun. With games like Dirt and while not perfect what I found fun was the cars damaging quite realisticly and just seeing parts hanging off and having mechanical failures and stuff and I wish all this was in GT5... sure you can say the engien failed but I want to see it happening! It's the year 2008 so please finally put it in the frigging game cause I hate seeing myself bounce off other cars all the time.

I know theres going to be alot of Sony crying fanbois to the rescue here but please this isn't a console war thread to make you get all worked up about, this is a GT5:P sucks thread.

Grantelicious

I agree about the damage modeling... the people saying that you're not supposed to crash the cars miss the point. Most racing games have this now and it's because racing occassionally has close brushes and flat-out crashups. I'd rather they leave the game in the incubator a while longer and sweat out the details.

And they are charging a lot for it, but people are buying it. At that rate, why not? They're not hurrying GT5 out because they have people like you to pay $40 for a demo, now don't they? ;)

As for jaggies, I'm sure it's for performance reasons. Forza 2 had a ton of them, but it ran at 60fps. That's called compromise. You drive fast enough you don't see em.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="truenextgen"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

The_Rick_14

His point was that Prologue doesn't necessarily determine the quality of GT5. Hence why its called Prologue.

If it's not up to snuff, then PD shouldn't have released it. Simple as that.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 truenextgen
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="truenextgen"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

BioShockOwnz

If it's not up to snuff, then PD shouldn't have released it. Simple as that.

Agghh I think we can both agree their. Or it should have been a really cool free download.

At the most I would say look at the MGS 3 pack thing. 29.99. At the most. I do agree with that. But no more than 30.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BioShockOwnz
Agghh I think we can both agree their. Or it should have been a really cool free download.

At the most I would say look at the MGS 3 pack thing. 29.99. At the most. I do agree with that. But no more than 30.

truenextgen

Yeah, I love GT and spent $50 to import it last year, but I don't think it's worth $40-$50. Like you said, $30 tops. I'm just glad that us people with the Japanese version received the update that gets us all the extra content in the US/EU versions.

Dipufresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dipufresh
Member since 2007 • 260 Posts

troll

dude i got this game and loving it even tho it is not the full version

also driving car feels way biffernt from gt4

nice try trolling

tomokosasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tomokosasaki
Member since 2007 • 1086 Posts
it looks fine on my friends tv. this game looked amazing. no jaggies.
lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lolkie_81
Member since 2008 • 2004 Posts

troll

dude i got this game and loving it even tho it is not the full version

also driving car feels way biffernt from gt4

nice try trolling

Dipufresh

Funny how anyone who is not a blind sony fanboy, is a toll. I have a ps3 and when I state facts about a hyped game I get bashed and called a troll. Its pointless to argue with kids on the internet.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
You make valid points, but I still think the game is awesome, each to their own etc etc.

Which of the cars don't you think have accurate sounding engines? I've not driven any of the cars in the game, but I've seen the f430 race around recentley, so I'm hoping that's accurate!
MalachiLiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MalachiLiu
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts

Regarding the car damage, you may be able to see that in the North American release of the game- a recent interview with Kazunori Yamauchi, the series creator, reveals they are getting close to putting it all there. The problem isn't Sony or Polyphony, though- it's the car manufacturers not wanting to see their cars wrecked. lyndonAPI

^ that answers ur damage modelling rant. As for gameplay... i dont really see how they would change that up, most racing games pretty much have the same controls and this is a driving sim not arcade so we wont have a boost button =(. Would you prefer to drive with just a six-axis motion sensing instead?

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

Grantelicious

thank for your opinion, maybe blog that next time.

You don't get GT so just leave it at that.

GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts
Well ive been having a blast with it today. Graphics look great, although i agree about the detail in some of the backgrounds. Mine has some jaggies too but thats doesnt bother me. The only thing im getting frustrated at is the goddamn forced update you have to download before you can go online. Everytime i try to download it, it gets half way and then i get a damn download error and have to start over. Plus wheres photo mode?
babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

Hmm... I disagree with everything you just wrote...Graphics are impressive, the sound effects are spot-on, the engines sound exactly like they do in real life (at least the cars I've actually driven), the handling physics are very realistic and the AI is much improved.

After driving around for a few races with my Logitech Steering wheel hooked up, I was speechless at the accuracy. The Integra Type R drove and felt the exact same as my own Integra handles in real life. The tires chirped and the steering wheel jittered when accelerating hard through a corner -- exactly the same way my car does around a sharp turn.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the most immersive and realistic racing sim I have ever played, and it's not even a full game.

Sounds to me like the TC is playing GT5:P with the wrong expectations.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

....The only thing im getting frustrated at is the goddamn forced update you have to download before you can go online. Everytime i try to download it, it gets half way and then i get a damn download error and have to start overGazzaB

Ive got the exact same problem, i can get to about 50% then i get a download error. Ive tried about 10 times and still no joy.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Rick_14

Hmm... I disagree with everything you just wrote...Graphics are impressive, the sound effects are spot-on, the engines sound exactly like they do in real life (at least the cars I've actually driven), the handling physics are very realistic and the AI is much improved.

After driving around for a few races with my Logitech Steering wheel hooked up, I was speechless at the accuracy. The Integra Type R drove and felt the exact same as my own Integra handles in real life. The tires chirped and the steering wheel jittered when accelerating hard through a corner -- exactly the same way my car does around a sharp turn.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the most immersive and realistic racing sim I have ever played, and it's not even a full game.

Sounds to me like the TC is playing GT5:P with the wrong expectations.

babystapler

Sticking on your point of accuracy. Here are some videos of the F2007 at Suzuka. The 3rd video is a video of Michael Schumacher in the F2006 at the same track.

You want to see accuracy. Line up the 2nd and 3rd videos (start the 2nd one about 12 seconds before the third) and watch the two of them race at the same time. It's ridiculous.

R-Force

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 R-Force
Member since 2005 • 838 Posts

[QUOTE="GazzaB"]....The only thing im getting frustrated at is the goddamn forced update you have to download before you can go online. Everytime i try to download it, it gets half way and then i get a damn download error and have to start overl34052

Ive got the exact same problem, i can get to about 50% then i get a download error. Ive tried about 10 times and still no joy.

same thing here, guys. :(

fastgamer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fastgamer01
Member since 2003 • 692 Posts

there was another one of them comparisons with gt4 a RUF RGT and a 911 and it is amazing how close but to the game at hand i brought this earlier from my local woolworths funny though its £5 cheaper in a shop with the case manual than it is on the ps store

the car detail is stunning if not the best so far also is the sound on the cars has been improved which i was happy about using the mustang is a joy now. yes there is a few jaggies but there is a whole year for them to polish them out which everyone seems to forget that another good thing is this game adds the fun back into GT for me there was a spark missing in gt4 and i never knew what it was but i feel it is back with GT5:P

everyone should rent it at least :D

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
[QUOTE="l34052"]

[QUOTE="GazzaB"]....The only thing im getting frustrated at is the goddamn forced update you have to download before you can go online. Everytime i try to download it, it gets half way and then i get a damn download error and have to start overR-Force

same thing here, guys. :(

I tried downloading it and it didn't work on startup, then I tried loading GT-TV, started the update and it managed to download, install, and require me to restart the game.
Takes ages to download, like half as long as the game took to download.
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
people saying there are heaps of jaggies there is either something wrong with ur ps3 or ur full of it, I have a 42 inch 1080p tv and there is next to no jaggies
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
This thread is underwhelming. If you dont like it dont buy it. If 40 bucks is too expensive then dont buy it. If the game is not sufficient then ignore it. No one who likes the game cares about your opinion of technical shortcomings. If you know so much about the industry why waste time posting hate posts on gamespot, and apply your massive legion of technical knowledge to something even minimally worthwhile. I can understand no game is perfect and I can take the good with the bad. Apparently you cannot. And thats ok. I will enjoy this game even if there is one of these lame GT5P hate threads everyday here on the forums.