Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time coming to PSP / PSN July 31st!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 daveydsurveys
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts
Anyone else here excited for this game?Growlanser Generations (PS2) was (two of the) best RPGs I ever played. What I love most about this series is that in the major battles "killing all of the enemies" is not the only obejective. For example, during some battles there are civilians that will be killed unless your party can rescue them, sometimes you're trying to prevent an enemy from escaping, sometimes you're just trying to survive until you can retreat from a force too powerful for your party. Growlanser also has the most complex relationship system I have ever seen in a RPG. In addition to many dialogue choices that affect your relationship, your companions will actually like you more if you are a successful leader in battle. The game has over 40 possible endings based on who you befriend and what choices you make.More info:http://www.atlus.com/growlanserpsphttp://growlanser.neoseeker.com/wiki/Growlanser:_Wayfarer_of_Time
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I'm very hyped for this game, it looks great and more localized PSP RPGs is always a good thing :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I had Growlanser Generations, but like so many of my other PS2 games I never got around to playing it. I simply had too many games then.

Can't remember what I thought of the game tbh. Most of my tactical RPG time was spent on Disgaea on the PS2.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Loved Generations of PS2. But the GS preview/trailer of this made it look like balls. ...will wait for at least 1 review
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 daveydsurveys

I had Growlanser Generations, but like so many of my other PS2 games I never got around to playing it. I simply had too many games then.

Can't remember what I thought of the game tbh. Most of my tactical RPG time was spent on Disgaea on the PS2.

Ovirew

That's too bad. :( You missed out on an awesome RPG!

Loved Generations of PS2. But the GS preview/trailer of this made it look like balls. ...will wait for at least 1 review rawsavon

If you're referring to the "Opening Video", keep in mind that video doesn't tell you anything about the game's gameplay or story for that matter. It just has a few out of context snippets from the cutscenes. The actual gameplay of this is very similar to Growlanser III but with some enhancements.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rawsavon
^yeah, I know. But story is a big part for me (trailer made it look like balls). I don't play that many games anymore. As a result, I am kind of picky when it comes to selecting the few that I will play each year.
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 daveydsurveys
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]^yeah, I know. But story is a big part for me (trailer made it look like balls). I don't play that many games anymore. As a result, I am kind of picky when it comes to selecting the few that I will play each year.

I understand, story is very important to me. From what I gather, the story is above average and the opening movie really doesn't tell you anything about the story. Its generally considered the best game in the series by the fans. And the tone is a lot more serious and mature than typical JRPG stuff.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rawsavon
Well that's good to hear. I was hoping RPGfan would have an import review by now.
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 daveydsurveys
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Well that's good to hear. I was hoping RPGfan would have an import review by now.

Yeah, hopefully some reviews will be posted soon. I know RPGamer is going to do one but last I heard the reviewer hasn't started playing it yet. And unfortunately I expect that the big sites like Gamespot won't even "bother" to review it.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rawsavon
Agreed about GS; that is why I did not even mention them. A review score is not going to determine my purchase....but what they say might
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#11 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I loved Generations and from the forums I went to fans of the series seemed to think that the first and fourth game were the best, great to finally get one of those.
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 daveydsurveys
I expect the reviews will be mostly positive but some may criticize the dated graphics. Only other complaint I've heard from people who played the JP version is that some battles can be rather difficult; but of course there are opportunities to grind to make your characters more powerful.
strangestguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 strangestguy
Member since 2005 • 437 Posts

any vita compatibility???

daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 daveydsurveys

any vita compatibility???

strangestguy

I'm sure It will be compatible with Vita eventually, but probably not on release day. Sony has to "approve" PSP games for the Vita before they're compatible- presumably they are afraid of potential hacking exploits so they will check for them before approving it.

I imagine that it will take a least a few weeks before it's playable on the Vita. This is just my guess based on recently released PSP games Gungnir and Unchained Blades. Those games took a few weeks before they were playable on the Vita (and I've heard they aren't up on the Vita store yet, so the only way to play them currently is to download on the PS3 and then transfer to the Vita). Hopefully Sony will not take too long so people who only have a Vita can play this awesome RPG soon.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I started playing the Suikoden series because of how well like the games are and they were all right. The same community seem to say the same about the Growslanser series so I'm hoping for the best.
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 daveydsurveys
I started playing the Suikoden series because of how well like the games are and they were all right. The same community seem to say the same about the Growslanser series so I'm hoping for the best.Pvt_r3d
I am sure you will like it. Really, I think anyone who generally likes the RPG genre will love this game. It takes the best qualities from traditioanl RPGs, tactical games, and real-time strategy elements. It's just unfortunate that most people haven't heard of this series, because these games are really fun.
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 daveydsurveys

New trailer for the game released yesterday

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Is anyone playing the game yet?
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pvt_r3d
Is anyone playing the game yet?Legolas_Katarn
Yeah, starting to now. Why?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]Is anyone playing the game yet?Pvt_r3d

Legolas was probably just wondering what the game was like, since today was the release date of the game and there was no action on this thread all day.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pvt_r3d
[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]Is anyone playing the game yet?Ovirew

Legolas was probably just wondering what the game was like, since today was the release date of the game and there was no action on this thread all day.

I can't imagine a lot of people who would buy this game except for gaming enthusiasts so I can understand the lack of posters. The local game stores had absolutely no one come and ask for the game either. Anyways, I guess I'll post my comments about the first hours of the game later on.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]Is anyone playing the game yet?Ovirew

I know what the game is like, I meant to add how do you like it to my last post. I've been a big fan of the company's Langrisser and Growlanser series for years and want as many people to pick up the game as possible.
daveydsurveys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 daveydsurveys

I'm very close to the end of my first playthrough. Just haven't had much time to play it lately because I've been busy with work etc. It's an awesome game. The only legitimate criticism of this game is that it does have a slow start; the first couple hours are basically battle tutorials and introducing you to the world. But after that it's really engrossing. It's a shame that some people will probably overlook the game because it's on a "dead" system or it has dated graphics. Yes, the graphics are dated, but the gameplay is so good, I don't care. Everyone with a PSP who likes RPGs should give this game a shot. It is supposed to be up on the Vita store on September 4th, too.