GRID demo Impression -

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

Aight so most people are talking about haze n so I thought i'd post my thoughts on GRID's demo which I just finished playing.

First off the good things: the menu and the presentation of the game simply Rocks! Not hard to navigate the menu and you can find out most of the modes pretty quickly. The sound again is fantastic with some awsome songs that really fit a racing game such as Grid. The Graphics are Good but not great, you couldn't compare these to GT4 or Burnout but they are still better than Motorstrom and perhaps Dirt. Damage on Cars is strictly okay as well. Oh and if you hit the car really REALLY hard once into the wall, its totaled and the race is over for you. Online mode is a bit different from Burnout but not bad at all. For example, you can race with people but you'd have to go into the multiplayer menu and then go into one of the sessions thts full of people. I did create my own session, nobody showed up.

Now the Bad stuff: the gameplay is really weird. I mean you could configure the controls but that wouldnt do much because the cars arent all the responsive and although the driving did remind of GT4, to me Grid come off as a street racing car but tries to mix that with real driving simulations and obviously fails. I gotta be honest, I did have fun playing the game, and even tried to learn how to handle the cars but if I had to finish one of the races then forget about it.

So yes I would recommend people to try the demo and decide for themselves, for me, I'll keep Burnout in my PS3 a little longer. Btw do share your own thoughts on the demo.

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

still dl-ing it XD

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
it was impressive to me i agree on the vehicle response system but other then that i think it will be an ok game.
poomonger613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 poomonger613
Member since 2006 • 1331 Posts
just finished and i gotta say it was pretty good especially with the rumble (burnt a whole bar of power when i got off). It was annoying tho when u crash into a wall then get back and try 2 accelerate and the car would start drifting in different directions.
Techtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Techtrip
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Well I can't really compare this to GT5P because it is more of an arcade racer than it is sim. I really like the demo. It took me a few laps to get a feel for the controls and for how the cars handle, and just how far I could push the speed before losing control. The graphic are nice (Not as good as GT5P) but they are very well done. I thought the since of speed was good and the engine sounds and music were nice. I have not tried it on-line yet because I need to practice with it some more. I like sim racers and arcade racers so even though I am a huge GT5P fan, I can see me purchasing this when it comes out in June to help me get that arcade fix when I need it :) I had high hopes that this game was going to be what I was waiting for in an arcade racer and from the demo it appears that it is. The only concerns that I have (which can't be seen in the demo) is unbalanced difficulty in the season mode. I bought TOCA 3 when it came out and loved it except the difficulty would go from being just right to almost impossible from one race to another. I hope this game gradually ramps up the difficulty as you go along.
IllegalGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 IllegalGamer
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts

Aight so most people are talking about haze n so I thought i'd post my thoughts on GRID's demo which I just finished playing.

First off the good things: the menu and the presentation of the game simply Rocks! Not hard to navigate the menu and you can find out most of the modes pretty quickly. The sound again is fantastic with some awsome songs that really fit a racing game such as Grid. The Graphics are Good but not great, you couldn't compare these to GT4 or Burnout but they are still better than Motorstrom and perhaps Dirt. Damage on Cars is strictly okay as well. Oh and if you hit the car really REALLY hard once into the wall, its totaled and the race is over for you. Online mode is a bit different from Burnout but not bad at all. For example, you can race with people but you'd have to go into the multiplayer menu and then go into one of the sessions thts full of people. I did create my own session, nobody showed up.

Now the Bad stuff: the gameplay is really weird. I mean you could configure the controls but that wouldnt do much because the cars arent all the responsive and although the driving did remind of GT4, to me Grid come off as a street racing car but tries to mix that with real driving simulations and obviously fails. I gotta be honest, I did have fun playing the game, and even tried to learn how to handle the cars but if I had to finish one of the races then forget about it.

So yes I would recommend people to try the demo and decide for themselves, for me, I'll keep Burnout in my PS3 a little longer. Btw do share your own thoughts on the demo.

Coolboy420x

Graphics are good. Better than DiRT, and this is only a demo. The damage on the cars is better than DiRT, for example if someone hits your front left tire, you will drift to the left when you drive. No car customazation (Retail maybe?). Online is fun IF you race against people who know what to do. So many people do not know what brakes are -_- A lot of people are online tho, just search for custom match and your bound to find 5 races minimum. Oh, forgot about the car damage. Its detailed. Your spoiler will fall off if hit, windows shatter, etc. Remember this is only a demo.

This game is better than any NFS game ive played(IMO). I dont know what else to write...

Edit: I race with a G25 Racing Wheel.

Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Mcgnnis1
Member since 2006 • 811 Posts
i did liked the demo but i haven't played it for that long but i do have to admit that other racing devs should really notice codemasters design of menu system..i mean even though menu system is not that important thing but codemaster really works hard to bring some of the best menu i have ever seen in any racing game. The graphics are really awesome and that's just a demo..i haven't played that long to really say what do i think of the racing but it does remind me of Dirt with a bit of both arcade and sim involved...maybe i'll buy it with GT5P, burnout paradise..
alexbhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alexbhp
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts

Coolboy420x

Yo, Turn the Driving Aids and try to drive...

istylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 istylee
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts
i still reckon pro street would of been better then this if it was open world, illegal street racing. imo
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coolboy420x
[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]

IllegalGamer

Graphics are good. Better than DiRT, and this is only a demo. The damage on the cars is better than DiRT, for example if someone hits your front left tire, you will drift to the left when you drive. No car customazation (Retail maybe?). Online is fun IF you race against people who know what to do. So many people do not know what brakes are -_- A lot of people are online tho, just search for custom match and your bound to find 5 races minimum. Oh, forgot about the car damage. Its detailed. Your spoiler will fall off if hit, windows shatter, etc. Remember this is only a demo.

This game is better than any NFS game ive played(IMO). I dont know what else to write...

Edit: I race with a G25 Racing Wheel.

Oh yea this is miles better than the latest NFS. Only if the Gameplay is worked out then it might sell.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

Coolboy420x

The game is crap. The cars handle like total garbage. It appears the cars have wheels in the center and use those to turn the car. I can't believe you said the driving reminds you of GT4. You must have gotten a very bad copy of GT4. GT4 handling is light years better than this garbage, and its not even in the same universe as GT5P, or Forza/PGR for that matter.

The graphics are not great either. This isn't even close to GT5P. for all those that said Grid was on the same level or better, a big HA! to you. It kinda looks worse than Dirt to me. The graphics are NOT better than motorstorm. Maybe if you played motor storm on an SD tv and Grid on an HDtv. Overall, very dissappointing, PGR3/PGR4>Grid

Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Choco_Taco
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts

Coolboy420x

When it shows the replay after wreck, if you push SQUARE it does this flashback thing and puts you back into the race right before you crash. Giving you a chance to avoid the mistake you made, which I though was pretty cool. Other than that, judging from the demo, the game seemed alright to me

JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JackSherbak
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts
I liked it... GT5 has the looks Grid has the fun... I love GT5 for the driving experience but there is nothing hair raising about the races, you pass a car a car passes you, grid looks like the races coudl turn into motorstorm on roads... plenty of tussling in pakcs which is you need... First impressions: great arcade racer..
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I enjoyed it, it feels like a mix of Need for speed and DiRT. Fun arcade racer for sure.

There is no need to compare GRID to GT5p, they are non even comparable. Grand Turismo is in its own league.

CheeChee_Macko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CheeChee_Macko
Member since 2008 • 2236 Posts
I don't know why people think this is a GT5 killer, it is basically just DIRT on pavement. The gameplay is not very simulation-like at all so, in my opinion, this is not even a competitor to GT5.
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
The game was mediocre IMO. Graphics are not that good. This game will not be a GT5 killer. Not even a rental in my opinion.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

The game is not meant to be a simulation. Even the devs said this themselves. It's a mix of sim and arcade, so don't expect GT style racing.

Syntih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Syntih
Member since 2003 • 446 Posts

i thought it was ok, i played it for a good hour trying to get the controls down but they are just not really that responsive.

and trying the drifting challange is almost near impossible, the car slips and slides more then a wheelchair bound epileptic being pushed onto an ice rink

other then that its an ok game, but the drifting part is a complete joke

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

The game is not meant to be a simulation. Even the devs said this themselves. It's a mix of sim and arcade, so don't expect GT style racing.

RotaryRX7

It's sad it had to come to someone spelling it out. Control-wise, it's more arcade then sim. Lots of the driving mechanics are over-exaggerated for the "OMG!" effect.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emitsu97

and trying the drifting challange is almost near impossible, the car slips and slides more then a wheelchair bound epileptic being pushed onto an ice rink

Syntih

Drifting was really enjoyable. It's all about controlling your right foot and knowing when to counter. No brakes necessary.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coolboy420x
[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]

Choco_Taco

When it shows the replay after wreck, if you push SQUARE it does this flashback thing and puts you back into the race right before you crash. Giving you a chance to avoid the mistake you made, which I though was pretty cool. Other than that, judging from the demo, the game seemed alright to me

You only get to do that when you are doing the single player races, you can't do that when you are in Multiplayer.
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Coolboy420x

I dont know who here said that GRID is supposed to be a GT5p killer but its a completely different game. I did say that the gameplay reminded me of GT4 and whoever said it doesn't thats because they dont know how the gameplay works in the game. Try finishing a race or two first and then talk to me ;-) cuz its all about gas and brakes, gas and brakes just like in GT4.

Syntih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Syntih
Member since 2003 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="Syntih"]

emitsu97

Drifting was really enjoyable. It's all about controlling your right foot and knowing when to counter. No brakes necessary.

maybe if you have a wheel, but with a controller its damn near impossible

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emitsu97

maybe if you have a wheel, but with a controller its damn near impossibleSyntih

I was taking double corners on my second run through and drifting down the finish straight.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts
[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"]

emitsu97

It's sad it had to come to someone spelling it out. Control-wise, it's more arcade then sim. Lots of the driving mechanics are over-exaggerated for the "OMG!" effect.

For me the cars do not control well, and yes I am aware it is supposed to be an arcade game. Burnout and PGR are way better.

zero_cool098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zero_cool098
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
they used the same effects as Dirt, that is making everything blurry to hide imperfections such as jaggies....although compared to dirt this looks way better and also more fun.....its far from a car simulator, heck i turned on a sharp curve at 120km/hr and it felt like thats just impossible.....well anyways it is fun and the replay cameras are at awsome angles
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
I didn't find the game very gun at all. I know it's a lot more on the arcade side, but taking corners at 80+ mph. For being an arcade racer, it wasn't very exciting.
gimlifn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 gimlifn
Member since 2005 • 621 Posts

graphics were ok but all the cars handled the same and it made the racing feel repetative. The controls on the car were also very squirrly. The cars never felt like you were in complete control of them unlike GT5 where everything feels spot on. Maybe its just because I like a racing simulator over an arcade racer.

Agwae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Agwae
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It rocks
sl4y4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sl4y4
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts
It rocksAgwae
Way to go....bumping a 7 month old post....yea...
Radek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Radek1
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I just got this game for my PS3, I played the TOCa 2 and 3 on my PC, so I needed to get the successor for the PS3, and I am loving it. I read all the posts in here, many people didn't like the demo and did not want to give the full game a chance, too bad! I love it, the online play is especially great. I don't think this game is comparable to GT and NFS games at all, those IMO are way too arcade-like, GRID is also arcade but at least has a bit of sim in it, especially when you take off the driver aids....
isukuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 isukuno
Member since 2009 • 170 Posts

It's a good demo, but it took a while for me to master the drifting portion of the game. But now that I have, friends who gloated and said their "drifting skills" on Burnout are better than mine, and that they will still own me when drifting on Grid went to cry in a corner after I was done with them :). Lol, one of them said they would totally own me with a million points (after I explained how it worked to them) but ended up with 5k :) and another ended up with 15k by running two laps on their own, but 420k in the end after I took the controller and finished the last lap. (It was too painful to watch lol)

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
ZOMBIES ATTACK!!!!
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
If somebody can bump a 7 month old thread like this, why on God's green earth hasn't anyone bumped any of the HAZE ones? This makes me angry.
yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

Grid ?? the games been out awhile i had it for pretty long time it came out in Aus ages ago

its a good game nice mix of simulation/arcade which i like

and has good race styles down hill drift, *** racing, euro racing, tar rally, F1, Street racing on regular streets with cars, destruction derby, muscle car

and there is also some download packs its called the 8ball pack from memory i have that aswell

i rate 8.5/10 solid