Got the yellow light and I've tried pretty much everything. Help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#1 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

So my PS3 fat finally got the yellow light of death this past week, and I don't know what to do. I've tried the so called "heat trick" (heated it up with a hair dryer and let it cool off), I've taken it apart and cleaned all the dust and dirt out of it, and I've put new thermal paste in it. Still no luck. If these didn't work, then what the hell is wrong with my PS3 and what can I do about it? I've been planning on getting a new PS3 anyway so this isn't too crushing, but I want to try and fix this one because I can't afford to buy a new PS3 for another couple of months at least. Any help would be great.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#2 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I think you'll have to just get a new one. Even if there is a method on the internet that works, most fixed PS3's are highly prone to get it again from what I've read.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
My old launch got the YLOD two years ago. I sent it to Sony, they fixed it for the one hundred and something dollars they charge and then a month ago it got the flashing red light. So I got another two years out of it after sending it to Sony. Although since you opened up yours they may not take it to fix. Since my 60gb died the second time I just went out and bought a Super Slim. I didn't want to fix the fat one again and thought I'd give the newest model a try.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
[QUOTE="Dysantic"]My old launch got the YLOD two years ago. I sent it to Sony, they fixed it for the one hundred and something dollars they charge and then a month ago it got the flashing red light. So I got another two years out of it after sending it to Sony. Although since you opened up yours they may not take it to fix. Since my 60gb died the second time I just went out and bought a Super Slim. I didn't want to fix the fat one again and thought I'd give the newest model a try.

Well I'm definitely not going to pay $100+ to get it fixed when I can just buy a newer, better model. How is the Super Slim?
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts

Read up on my post.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29295621/slim-ps3-and-super-slim

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

You can send it to a 3rd party. Probably needs to be reballed. As in, they'll resolder the CPU onto the motherboard.

http://ps3repairman.com/ps3-repair-services/ps3-reballing-service (I know nothing of this site or if they are any good, I'm just linking this for their description.)

I don't know if you've ever put together a PC. As in put a CPU on a motherboard. On a PC the pins just go into their slots and then you lock the CPU into the motherboard with a lever that wedges the pins into the motherboard. A PS3 is kinda like that except there is no lever or wedge mechanisim (who knows why.... Wedge setup would have been a lot better than what they did.), It's held with soldered. And those solder points are usually why you get your yellow light. Mainly due to the solder being lead free, which is brittle and has a lower melting point. It's just a recipe for disaster.

And why do they use Lead Free Solder? Because, the PS3 is classified as a toy, and Sony didn't bother arguing against that.

Double_Wide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#7 Double_Wide
Member since 2006 • 1985 Posts

So my PS3 fat finally got the yellow light of death this past week, and I don't know what to do. I've tried the so called "heat trick" (heated it up with a hair dryer and let it cool off), I've taken it apart and cleaned all the dust and dirt out of it, and I've put new thermal paste in it. Still no luck. If these didn't work, then what the hell is wrong with my PS3 and what can I do about it? I've been planning on getting a new PS3 anyway so this isn't too crushing, but I want to try and fix this one because I can't afford to buy a new PS3 for another couple of months at least. Any help would be great.

Superzone
Go to my profile and read my blog. It will help you GREATLY!
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

reballing from a shop (85 including shipping) lasted 68 days for me then I bought a Slim

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

I think you'll have to just get a new one. Even if there is a method on the internet that works, most fixed PS3's are highly prone to get it again from what I've read.

Venom_Raptor

I should wait and save for a new PS3.I had my YLOD 60GB professionally repaired at start of this year and it lasted all of 6 weeks and went again.I sent it back in for free/repair warranty,but they couldn't do anything with it,think the graphics card had fried,so sadly I had to sell my 60gb as spares.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Just do without until you can save the money to buy a new one. You may be able to sell the non-working one on ebay or something. There's really not much to do if you don't want to send it to Sony.