shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 shootinfool73
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

My son is 11...he loves the driving and open world parts of games like Far Cry 3 and GTA 5. But... and I know I'm probably strange in this regard these days... I dont let him play these games other than in the small doses of driving because of the rest of the content. A little bad language is OK and violence doesnt bother me (I let him play T games and violent M games like AC), but when GTA 5 kicks in full gear ghetto mode, even I cringe... LOL.

That said, he's not a 'racing' fan...so any recommendations for PS3 games with similar open world driving to games like these, but that's not 100% focused on racing -- and not a kiddie-game like Mario Kart -- but also is rated T or better (or even M, but with limited language and no major sexual content)? Does that even exist?

thanks

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I was going to say Burnout Paradise since it's an open world racing game, but I almost skipped over the "100% not focused on racing part". Unfortunately, I can't really think of any other open world games with driving gameplay that isn't rated M.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1552 Posts

kinda tough what you are asking the two games i'm suggesting are M third person shooters.

• Red Faction Guerrilla (i remember this being mild)
  • Just Cause 2 (haven't finished)

if you're open to looking at games that don't use vehicles that are open world i'd suggest.

• Okami HD
  • Infamous 1 & 2/Infamous collection
kingw12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingw12
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Batman Arkham City. Offers a good open world to fly around as Batman and beating up bad guys. After all, who doesn't want to be Batman. The new Spiderman game if he likes spiderman better than batman. But Batman Arkham City is a great game that you should try yourself. I believe there is also the Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter games. I know I really enjoyed those games when I was younger. They may not be open world, but they are very suitable for the younger age group. I know there is a new Ratchet & Clank along with a HD remake of the original 3 and same with Jak & Daxter HD remake. (if I recall, Jak 3 is actually open world)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Need for Speed Most Wanted has both open world and racing. He could play Saints Row 3 if you allow it. Sleeping Dogs is another example with both driving and shooting. There is also inFamous

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6  Edited By AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

the recent lego games would probably be great choices

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shootinfool73

Thanks guys...

He's played some of the lego games, Ratchet and Clank. and has the last Spiderman game too... no, he just likes the sandbox type of running and driving around, getting in high-speed wrecks and fighting people thing.... He's played many games that dont have driving involved, too... I wasnt looking for a game suitable for an 11 yr old.... Unrealistically, I think I was hoping there might be a (mostly) "clean" version of GTA5 (where your can run around and get in trouble, then jut hop into the nearest car and drive like a bat out of hell...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@shootinfool73 said:

Thanks guys...

He's played some of the lego games, Ratchet and Clank. and has the last Spiderman game too... no, he just likes the sandbox type of running and driving around, getting in high-speed wrecks and fighting people thing.... He's played many games that dont have driving involved, too... I wasnt looking for a game suitable for an 11 yr old.... Unrealistically, I think I was hoping there might be a (mostly) "clean" version of GTA5 (where your can run around and get in trouble, then jut hop into the nearest car and drive like a bat out of hell...

Saints Row 3 or 4 would be the closest thing

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

Sleeping Dogs, I guess.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

burnout paradise... :)

it is open world and a driving game and it's super cheap, if you want more recent titles, nfs: rivals is a good choice, where you can play cops and well, gumball racers, plus these games do not have graphic violence, just car on car carnage... :)

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Wait a couple weeks and get Watch Dogs.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

Watch Dogs, maybe. Coming out soon. Don't do get Saint's Row. Great series, but not appropriate for an 11yo.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

There's always L.A. Noire, that's pretty clean and offers both. Skyrim is clean and open world but doesn't have driving.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

I don't want to tell you how to raise your son but GTA 5 isn't THATTT bad. I say this because everything over-the-top is done in a comical sense, its mostly just funny. It's a sort of parody of American culture, I'm sure he knows its just a game. Mafia 2 isn't "ghetto" lol. Its an open world mafia game. (by the way gta 5 only has 1 "ghetto" character and he actually has the best head on his shoulders than the rest of them).

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

this post hurts my head.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I really enjoyed far cry 3 but if I had a 11 year old I wouldn't let him play GTA V.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Just Cause 2 - huge open world action game and it's a lot of fun.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Horses not cars but if you do not mind language Red Dead Redemption is open world by rockstar, but with out the forced criminal focused storyline or missions. Very possible to be the good guy. It definitely has some swearing and mature themes, but not urban or whatever word you prefer.

TanukiNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TanukiNinja
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

Has he played Borderlands 2 yet? Open sandbox world and some fun coop play online with friends. Not really too violent and dialogue is somewhat crude but nothing cringe worthy imo.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#20 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs would be games I would suggest that match your criteria.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@speak_low said:

@jcrame10 said:

this post hurts my head.

You mean the OP's post where he lets his kid play GTA V?

he shouldn't let him play.

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shootinfool73

@sukraj:

Uh...people....I dont let him play. That was the point of the post. I have let him play the driving a little (while I was watching him, between missions where there is no story and very little speech from the driver). I play the game mostly at night or early morning when hes not around. He hasnt seen the meat of the game....but saw the driving and running around and fighting cops..much like playing infamous.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

@shootinfool73: i still recommend burnout paradise... :D

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points