Getting a refurbished PS3 or should I just go with a new one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jesuschristmonk (3308 posts) -

Planning on buying my first PS3 with my next paycheck, and was really wondering if I should go with a refurbished one to save money or just go with a new one. I figured since they're electronic devices, they'd both have the chance of crapping out (and since I won't abuse the thing, it should last a long time).

Also, if it mattered, I'm still not sure on where I'm getting it, but it'll more than likely be at Gamestop.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by RapidTurtle (342 posts) -

Wait until Black Friday. Brand new for $199 with games. Checkout Best Buy, and Walmart.

#3 Posted by GHO5T- (419 posts) -

It's best to get a new one, trust me. You don't want to take any chances buying a used one.

Wait until Black Friday. Brand new for $199 with games. Checkout Best Buy, and Walmart.

RapidTurtle

^ I agree with this

#4 Posted by jesuschristmonk (3308 posts) -

RapidTurtle
Completely forgot about that, and I guess since I'll be going at the last model (the first slim), then I I'd probably have a higher chance of getting it, since people could be going after the new ones if they plan on getting one lol.
It's best to get a new one, trust me. You don't want to take any chances buying a used one. GHO5T-
Thanks for the insight. I truly don't have any problem with buying either, I was just wondering if there would truly be any real problem with getting a used one, especially since my friend's one is, I believe, refurbished and I think modded to be able to play PS2 & 1 games, and it's been doing perfectly fine. But it does still come down to chance.
#5 Posted by GHO5T- (419 posts) -

Thanks for the insight. I truly don't have any problem with buying either, I was just wondering if there would truly be any real problem with getting a used one, especially since my friend's one is, I believe, refurbished and I think modded to be able to play PS2 & 1 games, and it's been doing perfectly fine. But it does still come down to chance.jesuschristmonk

No problem. Seeing that Black Friday is coming up soon, it's best to wait. A refurbished Slim is 219$ right now. When Black Friday comes, there will be a 250GB Slim model with inFamous Collection and Uncharted Dual Pack for $199.99 at Target.

Here's the ad: http://bfads.net/Ad/Target-2012

#6 Posted by RapidTurtle (342 posts) -

Best Buy has the 250GB with Infamous collection, and Uncharted 1 and 2 for $199. You can usually grab them online starting on Thanksgiving. Good luck.

#7 Posted by jesuschristmonk (3308 posts) -

[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"] Thanks for the insight. I truly don't have any problem with buying either, I was just wondering if there would truly be any real problem with getting a used one, especially since my friend's one is, I believe, refurbished and I think modded to be able to play PS2 & 1 games, and it's been doing perfectly fine. But it does still come down to chance.GHO5T-

No problem. Seeing that Black Friday is coming up soon, it's best to wait. A refurbished Slim is 219$ right now. When Black Friday comes, there will be a 250GB Slim model with inFamous Collection and Uncharted Dual Pack for $199.99 at Target.

Here's the ad: http://bfads.net/Ad/Target-2012

Best Buy has the 250GB with Infamous collection, and Uncharted 1 and 2 for $199. You can usually grab them online starting on Thanksgiving. Good luck.

RapidTurtle

Thank you both. I guess now I'll just have to decide on which store to go to :P lol.

#8 Posted by thedarklinglord (662 posts) -
Unless you can buy it for dirt cheap (less than $50), never buy used/refurbished electronics. It's just not worth the gamble. The warranty is worth the added expense of buying things new. Where the PS3 is concerned, it'd be stupid to buy one refurbished, especially at this time of year. You've got crazy good goods on PS3 bundles for Black Friday, but even if you miss out and can't snag one from a retailer or online, there will be all sorts of sales from now till the end of the year. If you're in the market for a new console, now is really the best time to buy.
#9 Posted by JustBoomer (188 posts) -

PS3 500 gb hdd, assassin's creed bundle, has a $50.00 gift card with purchase @ BB

#10 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
That depends on how much you want PS2 backwards compatibility in your PS3, and if the PS3 in question has been reflowed or reballed. If it's reflowed, it's living on borrowed time; don't bother. Reballed ones should be OK, especially if there's some kind of warranty attached, though said warranties are usually non-transferable. If you don't care about PS2 support, as everyone just said, there's Black Friday.
#11 Posted by flowersjf (2856 posts) -

RapidTurtle
This. Thread finished.
#12 Posted by oASSASSINo (27 posts) -
Im playing on a refurbished one, had it for a year now with no problems.
#13 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

The best part about a new one is the full factory warranty and you can pay for an additional 2 year extended warranty from Sony if you want.

But yeah, Black Friday sale on a new one definitely.

#14 Posted by Sokol4ever (6347 posts) -

If you can, I definitely recommend purchasing the new PS3. The year warranty (which you can extend over PSN) will keep you covered.

#15 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
Also, if it mattered, I'm still not sure on where I'm getting it, but it'll more than likely be at Gamestop.jesuschristmonk
Yeah, it does matter. GameStop is THE WORST place you could even consider buying a refurb'd PS3 because they are the dumping ground for gamers to take their "about to fail but haven't yet" consoles. And since GS's standards for quality assurance is so piss-poor (they only test to make sure the unit turns ON), you're literally playing Russian Roulette with your money and peace of mind. If you still do, however, you better make damn sure to buy any warranty they offer.