Gamestop is like the WORST Place to ever trade in your games..

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

They are making too much profits on people by making them think they are gettin a great satisfaction..

Especially when you think your doing great but spending a good 15.00 on a discount card and bonus card that

barely does anything (the only good thing is the magazines!) but when it comes to trading in games is horrible..

Heavenly sword 29.99/ 6.00 Store credit

COD4 MW 39.99/ 12.69 store credit

Batman Arkham asylum 60.00/ 24.00 credit

Uncharted 2 60.00/ 25.00 credit

Resident Evil 5 29.99/ 3.00 Store credit

I understand buisness is buisness but if you are a 9 billion dollar company how much would it hurt to give customers satisfaction wal mart style ? lol Honestly

gamers are better off selling their games online on ebay, and etc. Nowadays Gamestop is the great depression when it comes to trading in

or returning a game.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

This is pretty much a known fact. Gamestop is pretty bad at trade-in values. They do sometimes offer good promotions though such as an extra X amount of dollars for X amount of games you trade in. With that said I would never trade 1 game into the store.

Ebay is the best for recouping your money.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I agree that their values are horrible, but with that said the company does have to make a profit, which is the big difference between trading in at a store and selling it online.

saint_1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 saint_1995
Member since 2009 • 663 Posts
Try finding a store that gives you more then what you listed.
darkhart7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darkhart7
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

Yeah I agree with the values bein crappy but I got the card for magazines of course and the 10% discount on used games, heck every dollar counts.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. Problem solved.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Mommy buys a $60 game for their kid, then the kids get a few bucks trading it in at Gamestop. That's their business model.

The_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_89
Member since 2009 • 594 Posts

I think everyones best bet is to buy and sell used games on eBay

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]

They are making too much profits on people by making them think they are gettin a great satisfaction..

Especially when you think your doing great but spending a good 15.00 on a discount card and bonus card that

barely does anything (the only good thing is the magazines!) but when it comes to trading in games is horrible..

Heavenly sword 29.99/ 6.00 Store credit

COD4 MW 39.99/ 12.69 store credit

Batman Arkham asylum 60.00/ 24.00 credit

Uncharted 2 60.00/ 25.00 credit

Resident Evil 5 29.99/ 3.00 Store credit

I understand buisness is buisness but if you are a 9 billion dollar company how much would it hurt to give customers satisfaction wal mart style ? lol Honestly

gamers are better off selling their games online on ebay, and etc. Nowadays Gamestop is the great depression when it comes to trading in

or returning a game.

The Edge card actually gets you more than the magazine. You get an extra 10% for your trade-ins as well as an extra 10% off used merch. I know 10% doesn't amount to much, but if you buy 5 used games at $30 each you've made your $15 back. But, I agree completely that GameStop has horrible trade values. So, if you are really trying to get most of your money back try ebay or craigslist.
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Mommy buys a $60 game for their kid, then the kids get a few bucks trading it in at Gamestop. That's their business model.

Jackc8
Bingo.....Wait until they start shelling out the $60 on their own.....Im sure people will start questioning their re-sell of games..... isnt their a age limit to do that? Its like taking candy from a baby,,,,,,these kids dont know they are getting robbed nor do the parents.... This company should have gone under long ago.....With their opening of most games, the mind set of Pre orders......Hand over your money with nothing in return because every game will be sold out to them.... Horrible return policies
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Greyfeld
[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

TJSAGE
Bingo.....Wait until they start shelling out the $60 on their own.....Im sure people will start questioning their re-sell of games..... isnt their a age limit to do that? Its like taking candy from a baby,,,,,,these kids dont know they are getting robbed nor do the parents.... This company should have gone under long ago.....With their opening of most games, the mind set of Pre orders......Hand over your money with nothing in return because every game will be sold out to them.... Horrible return policies

Yes, it's Gamestop's fault that the parents didn't do any research and allow their children to sell their video games. Let's blame the evil company that steals from the poor and keeps for themselves. It's not the consumer's fault for not understanding the market, not at all. They're completely innocent and should be coddled and consoled for being taken advantage of by the big bad Gamestop. Timmy, can you show me where Gamestop touched you?
unworthyBOZO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 unworthyBOZO
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

Jackc8

pretty much and yeah its sucks

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
[QUOTE="TJSAGE"][QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Greyfeld

Yes, it's Gamestop's fault that the parents didn't do any research and allow their children to sell their video games. Let's blame the evil company that steals from the poor and keeps for themselves. It's not the consumer's fault for not understanding the market, not at all. They're completely innocent and should be coddled and consoled for being taken advantage of by the big bad Gamestop. Timmy, can you show me where Gamestop touched you?

I agree with this, to a degree. Gamestop can't be blamed utterly for the idiocy of person doing the trading. The thing that pisses me off about Gamestop is the games that they get via trade for $15-20, they slap a $49.99 sticker on and throw it on the shelf. At least translate a TAD bit of savings over... Their used prices are generally only $5-10 off of buying brand new... it's pretty ridiculous.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Greyfeld
[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"][QUOTE="TJSAGE"] Bingo.....Wait until they start shelling out the $60 on their own.....Im sure people will start questioning their re-sell of games..... isnt their a age limit to do that? Its like taking candy from a baby,,,,,,these kids dont know they are getting robbed nor do the parents.... This company should have gone under long ago.....With their opening of most games, the mind set of Pre orders......Hand over your money with nothing in return because every game will be sold out to them.... Horrible return policies

I agree with this, to a degree. Gamestop can't be blamed utterly for the idiocy of person doing the trading. The thing that pisses me off about Gamestop is the games that they get via trade for $15-20, they slap a $49.99 sticker on and throw it on the shelf. At least translate a TAD bit of savings over... Their used prices are generally only $5-10 off of buying brand new... it's pretty ridiculous.

That's how they make money. Why would they buy a game for $20, then resell it for $25? They're taking all the risk of not being able to move a used product by sticking it on their shelves, and crossing their fingers hoping that somebody wants to pick it up. If a game moves well, they pay you more for it, if it doesn't (or they have several used copies already), they pay you less. Here's the deal... if you want to sell your games for the best price, sell them online to somebody else; that's what Ebay and Craigslist is there for. However, if you decide you want the convenience of being able to trade them in, in town, you have to keep in mind that you're not selling directly to another consumer, you're paying a middle-man to take it off your hands, so they can turn around and make a profit on it. This is how business works. And hating a company for running their business is very short-sighted, and pretty unfair.
luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 luzer7072
Member since 2003 • 2069 Posts

My suggestion:

Get an Edge card to get the bonus 10%.

Hang on to your games and wait until you get a nice coupon (example:50% extracredit when you trade in 4 or more games, etc.)

(I was able to trade in 2 Wii games [Link's Crossbow Training, Ghost Squad],2 PSP games [Daxter, Final Fantasy Tactics] and a PS3 game [GTA4] and get over $60 back. I bought Demon's Souls with this!!:D )

But, if you're still not happy with those results, consider Amazon's trade-in program, or, heck, there's always eBay!

A great way to sell your stuff on eBay is to undercut similar auctions by just a few dollars and offer free shipping as a Buy it Now.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"] Yes, it's Gamestop's fault that the parents didn't do any research and allow their children to sell their video games. Let's blame the evil company that steals from the poor and keeps for themselves. It's not the consumer's fault for not understanding the market, not at all. They're completely innocent and should be coddled and consoled for being taken advantage of by the big bad Gamestop. Timmy, can you show me where Gamestop touched you?Greyfeld

That's how they make money. Why would they buy a game for $20, then resell it for $25? They're taking all the risk of not being able to move a used product by sticking it on their shelves, and crossing their fingers hoping that somebody wants to pick it up. If a game moves well, they pay you more for it, if it doesn't (or they have several used copies already), they pay you less. Here's the deal... if you want to sell your games for the best price, sell them online to somebody else; that's what Ebay and Craigslist is there for. However, if you decide you want the convenience of being able to trade them in, in town, you have to keep in mind that you're not selling directly to another consumer, you're paying a middle-man to take it off your hands, so they can turn around and make a profit on it. This is how business works. And hating a company for running their business is very short-sighted, and pretty unfair.

You don't have to explain the concept to me, I understand it well. I personally think the AMOUNT of profit that they try to turn, is excessive. I don't expect them to give you $20 and sell it for $25, but $35 seems reasonable as opposed to the $50 they would slap on it. And obviously if the game is less desirable or they have too many copies in stock, selling it for as little as they offer is all on the person selling. I don't blame Gamestop for that.

luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luzer7072
[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"] Yes, it's Gamestop's fault that the parents didn't do any research and allow their children to sell their video games. Let's blame the evil company that steals from the poor and keeps for themselves. It's not the consumer's fault for not understanding the market, not at all. They're completely innocent and should be coddled and consoled for being taken advantage of by the big bad Gamestop. Timmy, can you show me where Gamestop touched you?Greyfeld

^ This guy has the right idea. Basically, you're getting charged a huge convenience fee, because selling your game to GameStop is only half the battle; the game still has to make it into the hands of a consumer. But you can be your own gameStop by selling your stuff yourself on eBay of Craigslist. When stated like that, kinda sounds like asking for more on a trade to GameStop is like asking for something for nothing.
luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 luzer7072
...but $35 seems reasonable as opposed to the $50 they would slap on it... raven_squad
I agree, but I think their profit margins demand that.
Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

That's why I haven't bought a game from gamestop in years

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

@ luzer7072

trading 5 games for 1 doesnt sound justifiable to me...even if it is demons souls.

luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 luzer7072

@ luzer7072

trading 5 games for 1 doesnt sound justifiable to me...even if it is demons souls.

newhighscore

I can understand that if you leave the statement at that, but I traded two lightgun games that retail for under $20, Two PSP games that retail for about $10, and GTA4, which I bought on sale (during Christmas) for $20. So, that's ~$80 spent, with ~$65 back. In my book, that aint too shabby.

Furthermore, I had had these games (minus GTA4) for over two years before trading. I had squeezed a lot of ejoyment from them.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] I agree with this, to a degree. Gamestop can't be blamed utterly for the idiocy of person doing the trading. The thing that pisses me off about Gamestop is the games that they get via trade for $15-20, they slap a $49.99 sticker on and throw it on the shelf. At least translate a TAD bit of savings over... Their used prices are generally only $5-10 off of buying brand new... it's pretty ridiculous. raven_squad

You don't have to explain the concept to me, I understand it well. I personally think the AMOUNT of profit that they try to turn, is excessive. I don't expect them to give you $20 and sell it for $25, but $35 seems reasonable as opposed to the $50 they would slap on it. And obviously if the game is less desirable or they have too many copies in stock, selling it for as little as they offer is all on the person selling. I don't blame Gamestop for that.

Well, I don't know what sort of profit margins they're looking at, and unless you've worked for gamestop, I'm not too sure you would either. Your thoughts on what a "reasonable" resale price is sound nice and peachy to everybody I'm sure, but without actual hard numbers to back it up, it kinda boils down to complaining that you feel ripped off by the big bad game company. I'm not trying to say that you're whining or whatever, and my brain is a little tired from not sleeping all night so this is probably coming out all wrong, but you have to realize that what you deem as fair and reasonable may not actually be such, when you realize that you don't actually have their sales numbers in hand. I don't know about you, but any time I go to Gamestop, I see a lot of people buying new games, and new systems, and new accessories... which, as far as I'm aware, they don't make a whole lot of profit on. So it wouldn't surprised me that they try to make some of their money by reeling in extra cash on the used games they DO sell.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

What I don't understand is why people view Gamestop as evil. They are in this for business not for the benefit of the people. They're not a charity organization. And most of all----it's OPTIONAL, they are not forcing people to trade their stuff there. The fact that they have a marketting campaign for people to come in and trade their gamesand it's working is why other companies are starting the same thing---i.e. amazon, bestbuy, toys r us, etc... Are we gonna vilify them as well? I wish people would quit their whining--in the end, if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

[QUOTE="newhighscore"]

@ luzer7072

luzer7072

I can understand that if you leave the statement at that, but I traded two lightgun games that retail for under $20, Two PSP games that retail for about $10, and GTA4, which I bought on sale (during Christmas) for $20. So, that's ~$80 spent, with ~$65 back. In my book, that aint too shabby.

Furthermore, I had had these games (minus GTA4) for over two years before trading. I had squeezed a lot of ejoyment from them.

circumstances given. then thats not a bad deal. i know not of wii games and their pricing.

PhoenixVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 PhoenixVenom
Member since 2008 • 706 Posts

gamestop reaps on the weak that need money like college book stores. imo gamestop is aimed more toward mommy's with youg kids that want games, moms pay any price for a game then a kid trades them in and gets few bucks then just buy more, its a vicious cycle. GS tries to make it sound like its a good deal trading in games and getting an extra 20% value or trade in 2 games and get a game for $30. its a rip off either way. thats how book stores are, you buy a book for school for $100 then wanna sell it back and they give you $10-$20 then sell it used for $90, so basically they sell the book twice at retail price that cost them probably $5 bucks to get. thats how it is with games, games only cost stores around $10-$15 dollars each and sell them for $60, then give you $10 to trade it in and sell it for $55 used. so its basically selling the game twice for full price

Avatar image for deactivated-5dc1155346926
deactivated-5dc1155346926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 deactivated-5dc1155346926
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts

I only trade in games if I really want to get rid of them and ONLY if it's a bonus trade. The extra 20% plus the edge card. Never do a straight up trade with them...

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I trade very rarely, but when I do I go to Blockbuster. They're not much better, but a few extra bucks is a few extra bucks.
I'd give ebay a try, but I'm asuming selling stuff in there is probably difficult.

luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 luzer7072
My feeling on the situation is that no one forces anyone to go to GameStop. They are a middle-man. You can either pay them to sell it to someone else, or you can sell it yourself. You will almost always make more money if you're selling yourself, but most people take the hit because selling to GameStop means at least some money without any of the work. It's instant gratification. But c'mon, this is how everything works. Even in video games, you can only sell stuff back for 50% of what you paid for it!! (Unless, of course, you're Torneko) Go to any music store and try to sell a guitar or some effects pedels. Try to sell a car. Try to sell a Computer... teh results are always the same. \ They buy it at a low cost, and sell it at maximum.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
You gotta keep in mind most of the people trading in to GS are kids with no other options. Either they or their moms are scared to sell stuff online. So even if they're smart enough to know they're getting ripped off they have no other options. I can't imagine a sensible adult trading in to GS
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

i dont blame gamestop, i blame the consumers, if they continue to support them and keep buyin their over priced used game, if u get 15 to 20 bucks for a game u paid 65 for, and someone come along and buys it the used copy for 50 bucks, it gives GS the confidence to keep doin it, if WE the consumers stop supporting them MAYBE, just maybe we will see bit of a change, but business is business. like i said, its OUR fault for buyin used games off of them.

P.S and those ppl who do trade them in, who i see alot are kids, they come in with parents or sometimes by themselves ( certain gamestops dont take id for trade-ins) and trade in games and buy used ones. they keep repeating the process. i saw this one kid at least for 2 weeks straight (true story) came in bought a game, 3 days later he came and trade it in, then bought a used game also using his edge card for discount, then few days later same thing, he traded it in and bought another one.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="newhighscore"]

@ luzer7072

Demons Souls i only worth 15.00.....even the limited edition version that i worth 100.00
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
The only thing useful with them is buying used games, newly released game and maybe hardware. Other than that..nothing else Gamestop should be used for.
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts

yep. stupid people=$

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i rarely buy games that i expect to take back later. i would recommend to people who go through lots of games to check out gamefly, if you plan on playing more than a game every 2-3 months then its leaps and bounds cheaper ($15 a month to rent a game at a time netflix style)

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

I never trade in games. Especially since i tested my game store, i took a brand new game and what they said they would give me was at least a quarter of the original price!

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts

This is pretty much a known fact. Gamestop is pretty bad at trade-in values. They do sometimes offer good promotions though such as an extra X amount of dollars for X amount of games you trade in. With that said I would never trade 1 game into the store.

Ebay is the best for recouping your money.

yokofox33
or craigslist. why bother with the nuisance of shipping and doing all of your finances on a hackable network when u can just be analog and trade like a merchant, the way society SHOULD be
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

yep. stupid people=$

donmega1
Now that is Funny! gamestop opens many of its new games gamestop employees play many new games and pass them off an new gamestop employees for the first year of the ps3's release did everything they could to steer buyers away from the ps3.....They practically bashed and lied about the ps3. Gamestop makes most of its money on buy backs and convincing people to pre order games that never sell out.....
jakecufc8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jakecufc8888
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
Don't hate the businessman for doing good business. Hate their patrons who tell them they can get away with it.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Sell your games on craigslist or ebay, problem solved.

In the end, the choice is up to the individual. Gamestop accepts new games for half of the retail price which I think is reasonable, when a game is opened it's USED therefore at most it retains half of its value. While a lot of people complain that the store only offers very low values even for games that's been out a few months they forget to realize one thing: they're a business. The trade in system wasn't created for the buyers' convenience (you're a fool if you think so), it's for them to be able to resell games at the highest profit margin possible.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
If you were to bundle all those games and put them on ebay you'd get alot more. With that being said i do agree with you but its still useful for gamers on a budget especially in this recession
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
And it took you how long to realize this? I discovered the scam after obtaining a credit card and discovering Amazon..
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
and Gamestop is the worst place to buy games too.... I go somewhere else years now.
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

i almost traded in Killzone a while back and guess what? only 30 bucks.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Young_Charter
If you were to bundle all those games and put them on ebay you'd get alot more. With that being said i do agree with you but its still useful for gamers on a budget especially in this recessionbigboss5ak
I hear you on that
PlzDuntBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 PlzDuntBanMe
Member since 2008 • 3269 Posts
Uhh, you just noticed?
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
What an original thread. How come no one thought of this sooner.
Fantasticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fantasticus
Member since 2009 • 666 Posts
i traded in my old 60gb backwards compatible PS3 @ Gamestop for a new slim & i got... WAIT FOR IT... 60 credit off the slim. ridiculous? you bet
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
waaat?? did your 60gb work and everything? if it did that was a TERRRRIBLE move on your part
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I've only really "done Gamespot" when all value of the game I have, was drained anyways and didn't really care at that point. Then I just see it as "well, it's such an amount off"

But it is pretty pathetic. I've seen copies of games that were $59.99 new, then see the used one right beside it, $57.99. Then of coarse, "how much to trade in?"

"Oh, $8 credit" (not exactly, but to that degree)

If it was about credit, thankfully I have a record store near by that trades games. A small "one store" (called Cheapies) gives me better credit than that entire EB/Gamestop franchise could ever produce. The only downfall, they aren't really "game suppliers" and it all depends on what people actually bring in to them. So EB/Gamestop has the advantage in selection.