games similar to Journey and Flower?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnphenomenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 johnphenomenon
Member since 2010 • 222 Posts

Just got Journey and Flower and I am absolutely floored. Never have I been more enchanted by any video game. Gayness aside, I'm hungry for more and would like to ask if anyone could suggest similar games? I'm looking for games that are thoroughly unique with their stunning overral presentation (great visuals, story, music, etc) and creative and interesting gameplay.

Several similar games come to mind such as Braid and Limbo but I'm unsure about how emotionally satisfying they really are. Haven't played Braid yet, but the Limbo demo seemed pretty good. I might get it someday, but it didn't wow me like the other games. I also really want to play Dear Esther but I don't have a gaming PC. (SOMEBODY PLEASE PORT THE GAME!) I've also played some other games that are somewhat similar such as Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. These two games were my top favorite before I played thatgamecompany's games. They were the most emotionally gratifying games I've ever played, up until then. Speaking of thatgamecompany, how does Flow compare to the other two? I've only played the original flash game, and it seems pretty good, but it does not seem to be at all similar to the other two games. It doesn't seem to have the heart and sould that the others have. Still, I might be interested in getting it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Botanicula PC and it doesnt require a gaming pc as long as you have a semi decent pc
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Nobi Nobi Boy. Don't question just do it. The game is a sand box of awesomeness.
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
flow is a great artistic game but it lacks the emotional element that flower and journey possesses. to be honest, I really can't name any games which are similar bc they are just so unique.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

Nobi Nobi Boy. Don't question just do it. The game is a sand box of awesomeness.Swift_Boss_A

i haven't tried that game yet

lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

heavy rain

johnphenomenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 johnphenomenon
Member since 2010 • 222 Posts

Thanks everybody, The games you've mentioned look interesting. Might give them a shot.

heavy rain

lostfan132

Thanks for not reading my post.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

heavy rain

lostfan132

that is an amazing game

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i think limbo is one of the best games this generation and braid is very good too, but they arent similar to journey and flower in any way. theyre 2D puzzle platformers and braid is more about piecing together the thematic importance of each puzzle while limbo is more about the overall design.

both journey and flower are pretty unique games, but you might find some common ground in everyday shooter. like flower, its something you could pick up any day, play for a few minutes, and still get a whole thematic experience (although i think everyday shooter is better in this regard). thatgamecompany compares flower to an interactive poem and everyday shooter (made by jonathan mak) is like an interactive album.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

i think limbo is one of the best games this generation and braid is very good too, but they arent similar to journey and flower in any way. theyre 2D puzzle platformers and braid is more about piecing together the thematic importance of each puzzle while limbo is more about the overall design.

LoG-Sacrament

It's just me but I found the Limbo demo boring , no colours and 2D with limiting gameplay. Braid looks cool but something about the character really puts me off. He looks full of himself... yeah I have stupid reasons for not liking certain games :P

mjk400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjk400
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts

I recomend Twisted Metal if you are looking for a emotional satisfying game.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

Swift_Boss_A

It's just me but I found the Limbo demo boring , no colours and 2D with limiting gameplay. Braid looks cool but something about the character really puts me off. He looks full of himself... yeah I have stupid reasons for not liking certain games :P

i think its cohesive to have black and white visuals, minimalistic scoring, few (yet constant and consistent) inputs, and a 2D plain. the puzzles follow suit with few having more than 3 pieces. still, its not shallow. the puzzles never get quite as tough as the intentionally baffling braid, but they end up being pretty tricky. that sort of design continues into the other parts of the game. much of the game is really about a lacking; in this case loneliness.
locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts
Okami HD would b something u would probably like its one of the most beautiful games i've ever played. its pretty long to about 40 to 60 hr. Okami is going to b the game most like flower n journey on my list Okami HD 20$ God of War has some really impressive visuals especially the 3ed game its gorgeous, but im going to have to say the first two installments had better stories. if you enjoy action adventure games i'd highly recommended them. the cheapest way to buy them would b God of War, Sage Collection 40$ which contains God of War 1,2,3 n the last two r downloads to prevent reselling they're Chains of olympus n Ghost of Sparta. i would recommend playing them in the odor i listed even though its not chronological odor i'd say there about 40 hr of gameplay for only playing them once this game is really pushing what ur asking for but it has a Metacritic Score of 95 so i'll mention it Red Dead Redemption the story is well written, the voice acting is superb, the characters r generally interesting 30+ hr probably more there a game of the year edition for maybe 27$ on amazon.com Ico and Shadow of the Colossus r often referred as art i'd recommend them on the note that Ico has bad AI n Shadow of the Colossus mechanics will take a lot to used to n this things can hurt the experience;( sadly there aren't that many games similar to journey i'd still look into Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection if u can get past the flaws there wonderful 20$ amazon hope i was helpful
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

I recomend Twisted Metal if you are looking for a emotional satisfying game.

mjk400

I second this and also recommend God of War...especially the third one.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

God of war is real sweet.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locus-solus
god of war 3 is great in all its one of the graphical kings on the ps3 but i found the story to b weaker than the first game;( my favorite in the series would b god of war 2 it still looks fantastic, interesting plot, its long first playthrough could take you up to 15 to 20 hr long for action adventure games! good music. the only god of war game that look at all bad is chains of olympus n its still a good game. god of war 1 still looks sharp in hd it does show its age some a lot more so with the cut scenes
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

god of war 3 is great in all its one of the graphical kings on the ps3 but i found the story to b weaker than the first game;( my favorite in the series would b god of war 2 it still looks fantastic, interesting plot, its long first playthrough could take you up to 15 to 20 hr long for action adventure games! good music. the only god of war game that look at all bad is chains of olympus n its still a good game. god of war 1 still looks sharp in hd it does show its age some a lot more so with the cut sceneslocus-solus

You do realize the story is lacking in GoW3 because its the game that concludes the trilogy right? Why would Santa Monica add more story the last few hours of the trilogy? It would just be dragging out the story. Not trying to sound snobby but from a film minor in college, adding story to the near of an ending is bad story telling...it makes those last segments into a rush of crap.

Yama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yama
Member since 2002 • 34151 Posts

flOw is the obvious choice seeing as it's anothet title in their portfolio. Like mentioned above, it does lack the motional output seen in Journey and Flower, though makes up for it with a beautiful art direction and relaxing gameplay.

XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 XereoWarrior
Member since 2012 • 135 Posts
flOw. It's the game thatgamecompany made before Flower and Journey.
locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 locus-solus
the way i feel about god of war 3 story isn't that enough was added. its that some of the story that is there wasnt very good. it felt like filler to me;(
AtticusFinch88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AtticusFinch88
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

If you want an emotional investment you can't go wrong with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection. 2 of the greatest games of all time in my opinion

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locus-solus
ico n SotC r wonderful if u want something unique especially SotC n i would recommend! i personally can't think of any game though thats is more similar to flower n journey than Okami HD n i would recommend it to anything that moves
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3052 Posts

There arent many games like those, thats why they're so great, but Unfinished Swan is close-ish. I didn't love like the other two, but it was pretty cool. Limbo is awesome

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
I see that a suggestion for botanicula.. i would add machinarium to the list.. adorable characters you learn to care for... another game which i personally liked was aquaria for the pc... the music was absolutely stunning and the story was quite good.
hanajone5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hanajone5
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i know i'm really late to this topic, however i just recently finished journey and am officially obsessed. i 100% agree on ICO and shadow of colossus. i haven't finished shadows but ICO really blew me away. also i would like to add a new one, called to the moon. if you really want an emotionally satisfying game, that one takes the cake. but if you haven't played it, be prepared to cry... a LOT. by the time i finished that game i was in a fetal position sobbing. the people around me thought something was seriously wrong until they realized i was playing a game. it is for PC but it's a very small game, a little like what SNES RPG's looked like. you can buy it on steam for about five bucks i think.