This topic is locked from further discussion.

shady_825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shady_825
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

I've been browsing the internet for about three hours now looking for ways to fix my PS3 controllers. Here's the story.

I have one Sixaxis that came with the PS3, one that I bought seperately, and a DualShock 3 that I bought about three months ago. The Sixaxis from the PS3 box has a ridiculously loose left stick. It's getting like analog-stick-on-the-demo-PS2s-in-a-Target-store bad if you know what I mean.

The second Sixaxis is doing fine as far as "looseness" goes. Its problem is that the left analog stick squeaks like a dying giraffe. Seriously, it awakens babies. I've read threads where people say try WD-40 or mineral oil, but if you're going to suggest that, please tell me whether you've tried it, if it worked, and if it negatively affected your controllers. For both Sixaxes I've tried cleaning them with cotton swabs (Q-Tips to be specific).

The DualShock 3 works perfectly. Are the sticks on it somehow better than Sixaxis sticks? It's not too crazy to think that considering that the DS3 is immune to those weird Bluetooth F*** ups the Sixaxis suffers from. Whatever the reason, it's perfectly fine. Will it stay that way?

So this thread is my cry for help! I want to add, I'm not an idiot so I know I can just buy another controller. Clearly I'm interested in reparing my other ones since they're a $100+ investment. I love my PS3 but I'll be pissed if I have to spend $50/year on controllers.

Edit: I have fairly nimble fingers so it's not like I'm destroying my controllers. Additionally, I don't play Cod4. I mentioned that because a lot of these threads have people saying the fact that sprint is the L3 button while moving ruins their left sticks. My first Sixaxis has been dropped a lot but otherwise it has been treated well. I also play games a LOT. Each controller probably has over 900 hours of playtime from various games on it. Is this just a wear-and-tear thing?

mrpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 mrpear
Member since 2003 • 222 Posts
i totally hear ya man. i've already replaced my first two controllers. luckily, i got them at a clearance price for like 25 bucks a piece, but still, it's a pain knowing that it wont last too long. the call of duty thing really messed up my first controller but the second one had the same problem except it stuck to the left instead the up position like my first controller. i think a part of it is just the amount of play time it's gone through and also the repeated motions a certain controller might endure. just sucks cuz my ONE ps2 controller that i had for like 6 years never gave me a problem and that controller went through 54 games without a hitch while my ps3 controllers couldnt make it past 1 year
skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts
ive had my sixaxis for along time and put many many hours on it, probably around 1000 just like you. it not works fine it still can keep a full charge just like the very first time. i dont know if you are just unlucky or maybe doing something to them without knowing but i can assure you mine is fine. have you tried clicking the L3 button down then moving the stick around sometimes this will fix the squeaking one but it is worth a try.
ashunpnoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ashunpnoy
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts

I have a sixaxis (came with the system) and a DS3 (imported when it was releases in JP) and both are working fine... no problem.

You probably just have bad luck

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I have a Sixaxis that the left stick doesn't work as well as it did, but after getting use to it I have no problem most of the time. I did get a DS3 just in case the Sixaxis does finally break completely.
shady_825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shady_825

i totally hear ya man. i've already replaced my first two controllers. luckily, i got them at a clearance price for like 25 bucks a piece, but still, it's a pain knowing that it wont last too long. the call of duty thing really messed up my first controller but the second one had the same problem except it stuck to the left instead the up position like my first controller. i think a part of it is just the amount of play time it's gone through and also the repeated motions a certain controller might endure. just sucks cuz my ONE ps2 controller that i had for like 6 years never gave me a problem and that controller went through 54 games without a hitch while my ps3 controllers couldnt make it past 1 yearmrpear

I thought the same thing about my PS2 controllers. I used them recently and they're perfectly fine. One of them I got at launch and it's still good!

have you tried clicking the L3 button down then moving the stick around sometimes this will fix the squeaking one but it is worth a tryskrillalover

I'll try that in a minute and get back to you.

I have a sixaxis (came with the system) and a DS3 (imported when it was releases in JP) and both are working fine... no problem.

You probably just have bad luckashunpnoy

Maybe you're right. How long have you been using the Sixaxis you have?

bran_54321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bran_54321
Member since 2008 • 486 Posts

Does anyone know anything you can put on the analog stick to make it stop being so loose?

Psn: spyderkid

monkeyboss1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monkeyboss1
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
I have 2 sixaxis and a DS3, the sixaxis left stick is f**k on both already, the DS3 is still fine but give me a couple of more hours on COD4 and its gonna be the same lol.
ashunpnoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ashunpnoy
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts
This is a dumb suggestion. but im holding my controller right now, and i notice that you can give a slight pull/tug on your left stick, and it causes the stick to have slight resistance for a few seconds. i know its pretty dumb, but it could solve your loose stick problem for a second.
shady_825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shady_825
lol it wasn't a dumb suggestion...it just wasn't one I plan to try lol. I tried the whole "hold down L3" thing. It phailed.
Avatar image for dragonkiller012
dragonkiller012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 dragonkiller012
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

I agree with you man. my sixaxis f' up badly with both analog stick being squeaky [the left analog stick is worse than the right]. I tried to dismantle the controller, didn't work because one screw won't come out and I ended up having a crooked, uneven controller - think as it is not completely closed on the sides. I tried the WD-40, worked a bit, fixed some squeaking problem but it is still there, plus it left a foul smell on my controller that made me use hand antibacterial soap on the controller (just a dab) and wiped it off with a wet paper towel. I am suffering from this problem, ironically it was the same month that my warranty expired. Ain't Sony a tricky son of b'?

cheezy909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 cheezy909
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
My control tht come with my console has a loose left stick aswell. Gets a bit enoying especialy in RE:5
rahul_rul210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 rahul_rul210
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
i think it only happens with the sixaxis
daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 daveydag
Member since 2004 • 403 Posts
i am having the same sorta issue, i got my two controllers at launch and lately after squeezing the foward everyday for a few hrs since then they are sorta stuck forward, so when i let go of the controller i still walk forward, its not a bit deal but can be annoying at times. i have tried everything but nothing seems to work, i think they just cant handle years of being played by gaming fanatics. sad but true.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
Had the same issue with the controller that i got with the ps3. I chalk it up due to fps :) I bought a dual-shock and I havn't had any problems with it so far. I think its just a wear and tear thing though. None of my other friends have had any troubles with them.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Must...not...make...reference...to my man parts...

BaBarrett-96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BaBarrett-96
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have recently brought a new controller of the internet, everything is fine but the analog sticks. They feel like they are stuck and i cannnot aim propley on mw2. Do any of you know how to help?
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
I dont recall having a controller issue with any system i've every owned, from my NES and onward. But then again i'm pretty anal about take care of my stuff. I current have 6 DS3 which I normally rotate so no particular controller gets over used however i moved away from home and only brought two with me but they seem to be holding up pretty well. Sorry to hear about you trouble.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
You know this thread is over 2 years old and a 1st poster made a reply right....right? Over 2 years. That's right....quit posting and let this die already.
DTHCND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DTHCND
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I know this thread is old but... Can someone confirm if this happens with DS3 as I am also having this issue with my sixaxis and am thinking about buying a DS3...