Finally played a PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sumotaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sumotaii
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

Cousin got the 40 gig for christmas and got to play it yesterday. The system is super quiet. I mean wow, my Wii makes more noise when its loading a game or when i play Metroid Prime 3. I like the fact the controllers get charged and don't require batteries like the 360 or Wii. Anyways i have a 360 and a Wii, if you wanna go back i own all the sytems psone, ps2, dreamcast, super nes, neo geo...etc...etc...etc. I really want to get a PS3 but right now i'm pretty consumed in work and i have enough with 360 and Wii, but i kinda regret holding onto the Wii. Thinking of givng it to my cousins and picking up PS3 prob 40 gig myself.

Had just a couple of questions. 1. How is Warhawk? To me the game looks super fun online. How has it been online if anyone here has it.

2. How is Lair? I know it gets bad reviews, but i like hearing gamers talk not people paid off by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

3. Anyone who has a 360 and PS3 can say any good comparisions to owning both? Thanks guys

FireNForget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 FireNForget
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

Cousin got the 40 gig for christmas and got to play it yesterday. The system is super quiet. I mean wow, my Wii makes more noise when its loading a game or when i play Metroid Prime 3. I like the fact the controllers get charged and don't require batteries like the 360 or Wii. Anyways i have a 360 and a Wii, if you wanna go back i own all the sytems psone, ps2, dreamcast, super nes, neo geo...etc...etc...etc. I really want to get a PS3 but right now i'm pretty consumed in work and i have enough with 360 and Wii, but i kinda regret holding onto the Wii. Thinking of givng it to my cousins and picking up PS3 prob 40 gig myself.

Had just a couple of questions. 1. How is Warhawk? To me the game looks super fun online. How has it been online if anyone here has it.

2. How is Lair? I know it gets bad reviews, but i like hearing gamers talk not people paid off by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

3. Anyone who has a 360 and PS3 can say any good comparisions to owning both? Thanks guys

Sumotaii

You have a Neo Geo? Man, you must have been the richest kid on your block growing up. I remember the cost on those cartridges back then was beaucoup $$$.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

I have all 3. I wouldn't let the Wii go but that's just me...

As for a comparison, the PS3 is lacking a bit in the gameplay department right now. There are great games out yes, but nothing as deep as the 360's library. Where the PS3 excels is eye-candy. Motorstorm and Folklore are beautiful. So is Uncharted and Ratchet. Gran Turismo looks great as well.

I play my 360 more, but I asked for mainly PS3 games for X-mas because I love the PS3 as well.

JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
I haven't played Warhawk or Lair but I have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 and I must say I like my PS3 more. I like it more because 1. It has free online 2. Blu-Ray player. 3. 80 GB for $500? Thank You!
Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts

I can answer 1 and 3;

1) Tons of people still play Warhawk online. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get into it, it's a lot of fun, but you have to be willing to give it some time.

3)I own both a 360 and PS3, and as soon as I got my PS3, my 360 just looked and felt... old. The PS3 is definitely more impressive. I'm looking over at the two consoles right now and the 360 looks like a toy compared to the beastly PS3. It's slick, intimidating, everything I've wanted in a console. Also, the console is finally getting a lot of great games. So many, in fact, that I actually had trouble deciding between certain games to buy recently. That's a good console in my books. :)

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

Sumotaii

I own a PS3 and a 360, so here's my honest opinion. I got the PS3 for it's Blu Ray player and exclusives. Multiplats I buy for my 360 because I like earning achievements (it adds replay value for me) and I usually like the online better. The exclsives are great though and I had a blast playing Uncharted and Heavenly Sword. When people come over to my house they are typically more impressed with the ps3's graphics and how cool the console looks, but we then tend to play the 360 a lot more. Just my opinion, but both systems are great.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I have all 3. I wouldn't let the Wii go but that's just me...

As for a comparison, the PS3 is lacking a bit in the gameplay department right now. There are great games out yes, but nothing as deep as the 360's library. Where the PS3 excels is eye-candy. Motorstorm and Folklore are beautiful. So is Uncharted and Ratchet. Gran Turismo looks great as well.

I play my 360 more, but I asked for mainly PS3 games for X-mas because I love the PS3 as well.

TheSystemLord1
I agree. The wii has good games and you can use the USB ports on it to recharge the six-axis controller instead of leaving your PS3 on to do it.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

1. Warhawk is probably the most fun I've had with online gaming this year. Really great that you can get online with friends and play on the same TV.

2. Lair - I like it, but most don't. I'd rent it and see if you like it or not.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Cousin got the 40 gig for christmas and got to play it yesterday. The system is super quiet. I mean wow, my Wii makes more noise when its loading a game or when i play Metroid Prime 3. I like the fact the controllers get charged and don't require batteries like the 360 or Wii.

Sumotaii

My 360 controllers have rechargeable batteries too.

cleotis_max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cleotis_max
Member since 2007 • 979 Posts

I own all 3 and as of now I find my PS3 the most enjoyable and the Wii the least enjoyable. My 360 and Wii, well my Wii im giving to my brother, and my 360 well it hasn't seen any attention for about a week now since i've just recently adopted a PS3. Something about the PS3 just had me hooked the second I played it, I can't say the same about the 360.. except for maybe Gears, I never thought i'd be "Wowed" like I was when I played Gears.. but then I played Uncharted and I "Ou'd" and "Ah'd" all over again. Shrug, I ordered my Dualshock 3 and as soon as that comes in Sony will have won me over and the PS3 will be my primary console.

LBP FTW.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts
I own a PS3 and a 360, so here's my honest opinion. I got the PS3 for it's Blu Ray player and exclusives. Multiplats I buy for my 360 because I like earning achievements (it adds replay value for me) and I usually like the online better. The exclsives are great though and I had a blast playing Uncharted and Heavenly Sword. When people come over to my house they are typically more impressed with the ps3's graphics and how cool the console looks, but we then tend to play the 360 a lot more. Just my opinion, but both systems are great.

Eddie5vs1

HOLY CRAP! Are you me? That's EXACTLY the same scenario.

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

1. it is awesome to the MAX and the fun factor will blow you mind

2. dont have lair

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Sumotaii

1. Warhawk is amazing fun. Nothing better than landing a plane on top of a high mountain... getting out... crouch down... pull out your sniper... and shoot away. Easily one of the funnest games out there, period.

2. Never played Lair, but I'm waiting on a price drop to buy it.

3. I've owned my 360 since October 06, and I wasnt satisfied until I got a PS3. As far as online goes, Xbox Live only has the PSN in terms of community. Getting to chat with friends and sending messages is much easier on Live, but as far as online play goes only, PSN is actually better I think. No invincable hosts or much lag at all. The 360's library is deeper, but if you wanna play the great exclusives on the PS3, you should go ahead and get one man. You cant lose having both, and I guarantee you if you geta PS3 your Wii will probably collect dust between that and your 360. It's sad to say but true, lol.

Good luck getting one man.

psp41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psp41
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts

Same with me but with the Xbox 360 i got one for Christmas but i am not happy with it i got to also play the PS3 at Gamestop and i decided that i should trade in my Elite to get a PS3. I told my mom and she is also agreeing with me she said the PS3 seems much better than Xbox 360.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
This is the kind of thread that belongs in SW even though you never meant any harm.
rahstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 rahstar
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts

Warhawk is amazingly great. I have call of duty4 and im a level 50 but i still go back to play warhawk and try and rank up in that. Its very addicting

Lair is horrible period. I rented it and couldnt get past the first level, NOT because it was hard, but because it was that bad i didnt want to play. The graphics in it were decent though.

My situation is the opposite, i own a ps3 and recently played a 360. I played gears, bioshock, and halo3. Gears was ok, but wasnt as good as people hyped it up to be. Bioshock i thought was FANTASTIC. Im a huge halo fan, ive had one and two. But Three was just more of the same to me, it didnt blow me away.

Sumotaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sumotaii
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts
I didn't wanan post this in system wars cause i wanted honest oppinions. System wars is very immature and faboyish. I always been a hardcore gamer at heart, but its hard to afford all 3 these days. I Pc game a bit to, but can't play the new top stuff
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eddie5vs1

I didn't wanan post this in system wars cause i wanted honest oppinions. System wars is very immature and faboyish. I always been a hardcore gamer at heart, but its hard to afford all 3 these days. I Pc game a bit to, but can't play the new top stuffSumotaii

I can see why you didn't post this in SW...it sometimes seems like GS is a catch 22. On one hand you don't want the usual fanboy drivel of SW, but if you post a question like this in one of the console specific threads, it tends to lean towards comparing the consoles, and thus someone is going to be offended and report someone for trolling. So far though the posters in this thread have made a lot of good points without flaming another console. In regard to your first and second questions:

1) Personally I hated it, simply because since it only has online, and thus I wasn't able to get any practice time when playing against veteran Warhawk gamers. Since makin gthis comment earlier though, people have suggested that you create your own room and play by yourself to get the hang of it and then try going online, so I will likely do this. Overall my initial impression of the game was that while the controls were fairly precise, they take a while to get used to. The graphics were good and the online games I played in were lag free.

2) I haven't played this yet, but I plan on renting it. From what I've read, with decent controls this game would be in the 8 to 9 range.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eddie5vs1
[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"]I own a PS3 and a 360, so here's my honest opinion. I got the PS3 for it's Blu Ray player and exclusives. Multiplats I buy for my 360 because I like earning achievements (it adds replay value for me) and I usually like the online better. The exclsives are great though and I had a blast playing Uncharted and Heavenly Sword. When people come over to my house they are typically more impressed with the ps3's graphics and how cool the console looks, but we then tend to play the 360 a lot more. Just my opinion, but both systems are great.

thegame1980

HOLY CRAP! Are you me? That's EXACTLY the same scenario.

:) The question is, who are we all?

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts

1. Warhawk is great, fun and quite unique, but it is not THE best online game out there, but very cool.

2.I really dont know about lair, but I think even if you did like the controlls, you still have a game with framerate problems, weird glitches, and boring gameplay.

3. I dont have a 360, but the Online is better, but costs 50 bucks a year. Also you have to pay fo MANY things the PS3 has a standard. But it does have a slightly better gameplay library (Bioshock and Mass Effect look quite good, but that is it for me).

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

Only can answer one

1) it rocks. More and more people are playing it

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

I can answer all 3.

1. Warhawk is great. ITs a shmae its Online Multiplayer only, but its still very much worth the price if you like Online Games.

2. Lair isnt neccessarily a horrible game. Its looks fantastic and the idea sounds cool. But the controls are just awfully unresponsive. They should have had a option to switch to sticks, but its Six axis control only.

3. heres my personal take on owning both (keep in mind this is just me) i have my 360 so Iacan play the Multipltfporm games (ones that are on both 360 and PS3) because 9 times out of 10 they are better on 360 because coding on PS3 is a Pain in the arse. This excludes games like Burnout, DMC 4, and Dark sector who who we have been told either began devlopment on PS3 or look better on ps3. I also have it for their exclusive titles i cant get on PS3. and I have a PS3 for Backwards compatibility with my PS2 games. (only works with 60gb and 80gb models, but there not making 60gb ones aymore so youll have to get the 80gb one) Blu -ray movies, first party titles that are exclusive or thjird party titles that are exclusive. I also have it for online gaming that FREE for the games I have for PS3 that have online capabilitys.

Hope this helps and god speed.

Avatar image for Da_IceCream_Man
Da_IceCream_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Da_IceCream_Man
Member since 2007 • 208 Posts

1) Warhawk is crazy becuz u would see people get shot everywhere u turn!:P

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Sumotaii

Greetings Sumotaii

1. Warhawk is a fantastic game online, today there are still plenty of folks enjoying it so you don't need to worry about finding a game. The game offer lots of different approaches, from excellently controllable air-combat warhawks, to good ground game. I find myself sometimes not even using Warhawks, just blasting on ground battles.

The only issue I would have that it's a bit tough to get into VS veteran players, give it a bit of patience and it grows on you. Maybe we would get a nice Single Player to get ready for online in next installation of Warhawk :)

2. I yet have to try Lair.. It somehow slipped my mind and I never got to try it yet. I'll definitely give it a rent to see how it is. So far I have only heard a tough usage of Sixaxis that makes the game hard to play. I have to test it for myself, but I would rather give it a quick rent before being disappointed.

3. This particular question usually belongs to system wars because of immature people who can't have a adult conversation on any online forums. You're bound to find someone who just wants to pollute you with fanboyism.

So far it's been a good topic in those terms and I wished it always was as games are here for only one purpose - to make us happy and to enjoy them, not to fight each other.

Since I have a pleasure to enjoy all three systems including Nintendo DS, my opinions are from my own experiences. I own PS3 and DS and my good friends each have Wii and Xbox 360. Since I see them on daily basics I always have few hours to kill with each system. (Smart way not to buy all 3 hehe :P)

Firstly, I would not recommend you get rid of Wii, I don't know about you but I had a fantastic time with Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Co-Op Umbrella Chronicles, Mario Strikers, Trauma Center. I'm positive more games will arrive from Nintendo in future as well as third parties should step up and provide with more good games.

I find X360 enjoyable. From Halo 3, Gears of War to Beautiful Katamari! The system has games I enjoy and I got nothing against it.

You can guess that I'm more of a international player, specifics Japanese RPGs and so forth, hence why I have consoles from PS1 - PS3. It's a tradition of a sort for me. From Grand Turismo to Final Fantasy, you name it.

PS3 was always known for it's Japanese roots, but with PS3 introduction It can been seen that Sony decided to explore them-self with a bit more then just their own brands. Most titles are now multi-platform and you can find them on both systems. There will be very little difference in that a aspect.

The thing with PS3 is the same as it's predecessors. If you enjoyed PS1 and PS2 titles, you will have a blast with PS3, especially in 2008 year.

Regardless of what you wish to do, PS3 is a great system to have for gaming.

digxxbitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 digxxbitty
Member since 2006 • 457 Posts
i have all three, i plan on keeping all 3 and i like my PS3 the best. i been preachin it since day 1, the PS3 has superior hardware, just not as many games, but wait for it, games will come. X360 has been out way longer, so once the games playing field is evened, the little things about the PS3 will make the difference. the controllers dont use batteries, you can use blutooth headsets, the online will be free, and even better than live with home, it's a blu-ray player, and even the little little things like the disc slot instead of tray. thats whats gonna make the difference in the long run when both consoles have good games. (not to say the PS3 doesnt have good games, i dont know where that is coming from.)
interpolate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 interpolate
Member since 2007 • 257 Posts

PS3 has more power, silence, reliability, and OS depth.

Xbox has more AAA games.

ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

Answering #3, I personally like the Xbox's controller for Shooters to the ps3. the triggers are easier to hit, etc. But the diversity of the Ps3's games are what keeps me coming back.

I had gotten the 360 for Christmas and still trying to get live set-up(Having to do with my router). But i am sure you have heard the PS3 is like a super computer.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I don't own either of the game you asked about, but I've been considering picking up Warhawk if I ever want to get back into multi-player gaming again.

3) I own both, and tend to play the 360 more. Mostly because I tend to get multi-platform games for the 360 instead because of the achievements. The PS3 exclusives are pretty nice, though. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is easily one of the best game I've played this year, and Resistance: Fall of Man is also quite good. The 360 has some games that are must own, but quite a few of the games I like on that system are also available for the PS3.

I don't play enough online to fairly compare the two. So far, I prefer the selection of games for Live Arcade to those available on the PS3. Hopefully more PS1 games will be added soon.

The PS3 is a good console, it just needs to get some more good exclusives. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing PS3 do some sort of achievement point knock off, as well. I might be more inclined to pick up the multi-platform games for it, as well. Supposedly, Home will have trophies, but I prefer having a pool of points and being able to peruse a list of what you've done like you can with the 360.

EDIT - Forgot to mention Blu Ray, and PS2 BC. Both of which are big reasons to own the system for me. While the PS3 library isn't quite as big as the 360's, there's quite a few games that I missed out on the PS2 last generation. Plus, a lot of them look quite nice upscaled on the PS3.