Finally got a new HDTV...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts
I just bought a 42inch Olevia LCD HDTV with 1080p. I'm playing my ps3 in the highest resolution but i noticed when i play games, they all look fuzzy. The xmb and in game menus are crisp and smooth but the actual games has a hazey look them. Has anyone experienced something like this? What was your solution?
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
I have had this problem too and haven't found a solution for it. I guess that is just the way they look.
Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shawtymann
what brand tv do you have?
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
42-inch Sharp Aquos.
jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
Can't say I've had this problem... It may be you've got sharpness set too high, or too low. What games are you noticing it on? Multiplats or exclusives? There are a couple of Multiplat titles that use a blurring effect instead of AA to hide jaggies, so that could be the reason
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
If you have a true 1080p monitor, I'd recommend setting the screen size to "full" or "1:1 Pixel ratio" whatever it's called for your TV. You might have it set on Zoom or something else.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
If you have a true 1080p monitor, I'd recommend setting the screen size to "full" or "1:1 Pixel ratio" whatever it's called for your TV. You might have it set on Zoom or something else.RotaryRX7
I was going to say something like this or maybe your PS3 or the game it self is not set on widescreen
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
I just bought a 42inch Olevia LCD HDTV with 1080p. I'm playing my ps3 in the highest resolution but i noticed when i play games, they all look fuzzy. The xmb and in game menus are crisp and smooth but the actual games has a hazey look them. Has anyone experienced something like this? What was your solution?Shawtymann
Does it have an option to change the picture mode? I doubt it is this but you could try that if it has that option. Plus you may have it set to zoom instead of of having the aspect ratio on 16:9 (widescreen)
Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shawtymann
[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"]If you have a true 1080p monitor, I'd recommend setting the screen size to "full" or "1:1 Pixel ratio" whatever it's called for your TV. You might have it set on Zoom or something else.jcopp72
I was going to say something like this or maybe your PS3 or the game it self is not set on widescreen

ok, i ser the tv to 1:1 but now when i play games they arent widescreen, they have a big black border. how do i change the ps3 games to widescreen?
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
[QUOTE="jcopp72"][QUOTE="RotaryRX7"]If you have a true 1080p monitor, I'd recommend setting the screen size to "full" or "1:1 Pixel ratio" whatever it's called for your TV. You might have it set on Zoom or something else.Shawtymann

ok, i ser the tv to 1:1 but now when i play games they arent widescreen, they have a big black border. how do i change the ps3 games to widescreen?

Go to your tv picture options and change the aspect ratio to 16:9 (widescreen)
GolemX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GolemX
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

ok, i ser the tv to 1:1 but now when i play games they arent widescreen, they have a big black border. how do i change the ps3 games to widescreen?Shawtymann

Sounds like you have to check the screen Settings on your PS3 - or you just need to change aspect ratio on the TV. On my Pioneer Kuro 2.0 (LX-5090), I can change the HDMI Input from Video to PC to minimize lag and then I can only choose between aspect ratios 4:3 and 16:9 (both "pixel by pixel") on the TV. Also, about the haze... On MGS4 that I'm currently playing I've had to reduce brightness to 4 steps below 0 to get black into black. Too much brigthness will make the picture look hazy but at the same time you don't want to "crush the blacks" and lose information in shadows. On MGS4 there difinitely is too much brightness in the picture though which should be adjusted for best experience. If the picture quality of the game looks soft it could also mean that the native resolution of the game is crap and is just being upscaled instead of being true 1080p. MGS4 isn't 1080p either, only 768p(?) but PS3 upscales it pretty well.