FF7 Screen Preference

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

This question is directed towards those who have downloaded FF7 from the PS Store.

What Screen Mode do you prefer? I've been toying around with all four, and while Original is clearly the sharpest, I like the idea of Full Screen which makes it feel like a mini-TV (though everything's a little blurry).

Jonas008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jonas008
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

Have u played FF7 before? if so i wanna ask you if they added extra videos to the game cause i saw a trailer with some videos that i've never seen b4 hmm..

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Sharpness does'nt mean much to me in a title as ugly as FF7. I'm gonna go with zoom.

And it's the same game, nothing added. Well, looks like it has widescreen support which I'm pretty sure my ps1 copy does'nt.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

Have u played FF7 before? if so i wanna ask you if they added extra videos to the game cause i saw a trailer with some videos that i've never seen b4 hmm..

Jonas008
It's the exact same game; and it has no widescreen support. If you switch to widescreen, it stretches the image and distorts the aspect ratio. For me, I always view it in "Normal" mode, because aspect ratio is a big deal to me, and stretching stuff distracts me a lot.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Jonas008"]

xaos

It's the exact same game; and it has no widescreen support. If you switch to widescreen, it stretches the image and distorts the aspect ratio. For me, I always view it in "Normal" mode, because aspect ratio is a big deal to me, and stretching stuff distracts me a lot.

Are you sure? Normally, aspect ratio is a big deal to me as well but I have a hard time telling the difference in FF7. Might be because I havent gotten far yet.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Jonas008"]

Filthybastrd

Are you sure? Normally, aspect ratio is a big deal to me as well but I have a hard time telling the difference in FF7. Might be because I havent gotten far yet.

Absolutely sure; PS1 games are presented completely unaltered from their original form. Maybe its because the character graphics are already super-deformed?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="xaos"] It's the exact same game; and it has no widescreen support. If you switch to widescreen, it stretches the image and distorts the aspect ratio. For me, I always view it in "Normal" mode, because aspect ratio is a big deal to me, and stretching stuff distracts me a lot.xaos

Absolutely sure; PS1 games are presented completely unaltered from their original form. Maybe its because the character graphics are already super-deformed?

You're probably right. Something like MGS or Resident Evil would most likely look terrible.

Blackjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blackjaw
Member since 2003 • 241 Posts

I just use the default regular one for FF7. Tekken 2 I'll use the widescreen.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 drummer131
With a game like Jumping Flash, I want to actually feel like I'm high in the sky. If I do it right, I actually get a sensation of high jumping and flight and falling. So I've been playing on either Normal or Full Screen. With FF7, Original makes it sharper than I've ever seen it before, but the game is too small for my tastes. Normal seems okay, but then the text gets a little blurry. It gets worse with Full Screen. Maybe it was just the sunlight on the screen that made it hard to decide which was better before. I tried them all again and excluding Zoom, they all looked kinda the same. It would be between Normal and Full for me, for sure. Probably more towards Normal because that distortion does kind of stink.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

Filthybastrd

You're probably right. Something like MGS or Resident Evil would most likely look terrible.

"Medal of Honor" doesn't look that bad in widescreen, nor does "Syphon Filter"... and I too, am normally a stickler for proper aspect ratio presentation. I haven't DL'ed RE or MGS (though they are on the short-list for sure - all of the good talk about MGS has me sorta amped for it!) but I'll let you know. Even in proper AR, they still look pixelated, 'cuz of the age, or should I say 'vintage', of the games themselves. Still, the fact that these games cause us all to party and talk endlessly about their re-release is a testament to how great the game crafting was/ is to this day! :D

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 drummer131

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="xaos"] Absolutely sure; PS1 games are presented completely unaltered from their original form. Maybe its because the character graphics are already super-deformed?ston3henge

Still, the fact that these games cause us all to party and talk endlessly about their re-release is a testament to how great the game crafting was/ is to this day! :D

Yeah. And then there's nostalgia.
Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Redonkulous_D
Member since 2008 • 1018 Posts

Default. Any other setting changes it to a blurry mess. I don't like blurry messes. Though I don't like how it doesn't take up much of the screen, I'm willing to get over that for the sake of clarity.

Wae416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Wae416
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

Full Screen. It's actually prett nice looking when you get used to it.

This is the only game that I've downloaded when I set it like that, though. All my other ps1 classics are in default.

Gryphon700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Gryphon700
Member since 2003 • 150 Posts

I play in Full Screen and it is really good. There's no blurriness at all, and I just hate playing on a smaller scale when the PSP screen is so big, it dulls the experience.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drummer131

I play in Full Screen and it is really good. There's no blurriness at all, and I just hate playing on a smaller scale when the PSP screen is so big, it dulls the experience.

Gryphon700
That's exactly how I feel. Original, though super crisp and sharp (and very reminiscent of how great the game looked on the PC), is just too small given the screen is so large. Full screen really puts you IN the game, and makes you feel like you're playing an official PSP port.