Fallout New Vegas: Will it actually be any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rekashal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekashal
Member since 2010 • 77 Posts
While I was playing Fallout 3, I came to the conclusion that games made by Bethesda will always be hyped like crazy. Bethesda as a developer does have a very good track record with games but I don't feel that they are as good or as ground-breaking as many people claim. Fallout 3 in my opinion was just one big open sandbox without much direction. I feel that if they don't change how the game plays it will basically be Fallout 3 with a new setting. Any thoughts on this?
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Fallout 3 is many peoples favourite game, either ever, or that year, and it's a very, very highly rated game. Sure, there are people that don't like it, but you (or people that don't like it) are going to be the people which think that Bethesda are over rated. As a developer, I think they are spot on and try to develop games not just for money but because they love doing it - not so as publishers but thats for another thread. If you don't like their games, you're obviously going to think their under rated, and I don't think Fallout: New Vegas will stray too far away from Fallout 3. It was a massive success for them and people still play it almost religously, so it's going to be a similar gameplay style but that's not what people were interested in. Gameplay was also a bit clunky, but it's the RPG elements, the story, the atmosphere, the scale, the living world around you, the decision you make; these are the things people like about it. I have no doubt in my mind that Fallout: New Vegas is going to be a better looking, new setting, story and everything upgraded version of Fallout 3, but I don't see how that's a bad thing personally.
calicoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 calicoolguy
Member since 2005 • 294 Posts

Fallout 3 was an amazing game. Lots of fun. The "open sandbox" as you say was for me one of its greatest features. Games have always been very linear only a few break the mold and FO3 was awesome in that respect. If the new Fallout follows the same recipe as its previous it will be another smash hit.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Bethesda said that they're having Obsidian stay close to the Fallout 3 formula, but Obsidian has mentioned that they want to make it a bit more story-based, like the original Fallout games. So, it will be really good and Obsidian will make sure that's true. It probably won't break the mold and start anything new, but it'll be a solid installment. If you liked Fallout 3, you'll like New Vegas.

gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

it will occupy my time for 3months again why? BECAUSE ITS AWESOME

shadowkiid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shadowkiid
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Well I think that FallOut3is the best game that i have played so FAR, But the new one that they have coming out doesn't really look all that great...............But thats just me

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts

Well I think that FallOut3is the best game that i have played so FAR, But the new one that they have coming out doesn't really look all that great...............But thats just me

shadowkiid
How can you say this? Have you somehow got details of the game which no-one else has heard? I thought not. It's hard to have an opinion on a game which was has only had a sparce few details announced, no gameplay videos, a teaser which is the same as nearly every other Fallout trailer and all that is confirmed is a fall 2010 release date. So yes, it's just you.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Fallout games have a track record of NOT being ****.

Ergo, I am looking forward to it.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
I can't wait for Fallout: New Vegas!!!!! Obsidian is going to stay true to the Fallout 3 play style while making the game more story driven as well. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I've been a fan from the start, and the only thing that disappointed me about Fallout 3 was the terrible main story. If Obsidian can fix that this game will probably turn out ot be my GOTY.
Rekashal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rekashal
You do raise valid points, but I never said that I didn't like the game or Bethesda. I just think they are overrated much like Bungie and Halo. While Bethesda is a good developer I completely disagree with the statement about developing games just for people. Remember Oblivion? 400 or so Microsoft points just for horse armor? That is just a money grab and everyone knows it. I do like Fallout 3, it is a very good game. I just don't feel it deserves to be ranked so highly because of the way the game is. I have ran into numerous bugs, glitches, errors, and other things that just shouldn't happen in a "blockbuster" game. When I look at highly rated games, I see games that break the mold, are fantastic and pretty much perfect in execution. Fallout 3 was neither of those (maybe fantastic to some). Fallout 3 was Oblivion in a different universe, and you can not deny that. They even play pretty much the same. If you feel that I am bashing the game then I am sorry. I never meant for that, I just wanted a disccussion.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
If its anything like Fallout 3 (which I expect it will be), then yes it will be good. Great even.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

If it is Fallout 3 with a new setting then it should be an awesome game. Fallout 3 was awesome. I can't wait for New Vegas.

Ignicaeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Ignicaeli
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

I played the original Fallouta loooong time ago, and am playing Fallout 3 now.

As long as they keep track of the original formulae, Fallout can't go wrong.

maxx1458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 maxx1458
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

Post Apocalyptic setting, Vegas and a better story?

Color me excited.

Zartan3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#15 Zartan3000
Member since 2008 • 406 Posts

Fallout 3 was an amazing game from 2009 that I still dip into from time to time! New Vegas has some BIG shoes to fill so I hope they aim high! It would be cool to get some multiplayer aspect in there (without it being an MMORPG) now that's a thought! LOL 8)

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Fallout 3 was an amazing game from 2008 that I still dip into from time to time!

Zartan3000

Fixed.

kane1511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kane1511
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

Fallout New Vegas will be just as good, if not better than Fallout 3. Obsidian did a good job when developing KOTOR2, I think they'll do a good job when taking over this aswell.

Rekashal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rekashal

KOTOR 2 was know were NEARLY as good as the first one was.

NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts
It's made by some of the main guys who made Fallout 1&2, so I'm sure it'll be great.
edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
I've really enjoyed Bethesda games. They tend to be a bit glitchy, but the freedom of explorations and customization have always made up for it.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
I've really enjoyed Bethesda games. They tend to be a bit glitchy, but the freedom of explorations and customization have always made up for it.edthetinker
I agree. I don't think I ever completed the main quest for Oblivion, but I had so much fun exploring, customizing, and completing side quests that I spent well over 150 on it. I spent about 80 hours on Fallout 3 and the main quest can be done in about 6. There's plenty there to keep you coming back for more. Also, being the series-long Fallout fan that I am, I can't effing wait for this game. Its actually my most anticipated game this year.
protaganist20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 protaganist20
Member since 2010 • 1333 Posts

Spent weeks on Fallout 3 so Im very excited for new vegas. We've only seen a teaser so far

therefore we dont have much to go on as to the content of the game but if they make it even more story based

then F3 I'd say were in for something good.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I was worried at first but then I read that the original creators of Fallout 1 and 2 are behind New Vegas so I'm actually quite excited for it now.
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
its looking good though i think it will be more story heavy, hardcore mode sounds interesting
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Morrowind was good, Oblivion was good, Fallout 3 was good. Sure, there's a possibility it's not gonna be all that, but I see a pattern with Bethesda's games. (Mind you games like Wet and Rogue Warrior were merely published by ZeniMax under the Bethesda brand name, so I don't count them)
uRan_Ehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uRan_Ehr
Member since 2007 • 3733 Posts
I liked Fallout 3 but honestly Bethesda should improve: 1) their walking animations, I finally want to play a Bethesda game in 3rd person view without moon walking; 2) their story telling, the story in Oblivion was very poor and the one in Fallout was just meh But I trust in Obsidian that they will deliver a good game :P
Avatar image for phoenix-serpent
phoenix-serpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 phoenix-serpent
Member since 2008 • 654 Posts

Fallout 3 is many peoples favourite game, either ever, or that year, and it's a very, very highly rated game. Sure, there are people that don't like it, but you (or people that don't like it) are going to be the people which think that Bethesda are over rated. As a developer, I think they are spot on and try to develop games not just for money but because they love doing it - not so as publishers but thats for another thread. If you don't like their games, you're obviously going to think their under rated, and I don't think Fallout: New Vegas will stray too far away from Fallout 3. It was a massive success for them and people still play it almost religously, so it's going to be a similar gameplay style but that's not what people were interested in. Gameplay was also a bit clunky, but it's the RPG elements, the story, the atmosphere, the scale, the living world around you, the decision you make; these are the things people like about it. I have no doubt in my mind that Fallout: New Vegas is going to be a better looking, new setting, story and everything upgraded version of Fallout 3, but I don't see how that's a bad thing personally.Adziboy

like that. i love fallout 3. why the hate? im getting it day 1. adziboy, r u getting it?

DarthShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarthShake
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts

Fallout 3 with a new setting? I surehope so!

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts
I don't know what you guys think but I expect big changes in the formula. If not then it just can't be good. That would be like skinning Fallout 3 but I know New Vegas is Obsidian's take which will probably be better.
Rekashal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rekashal

See, that is what I am worried about. I like Fallout, I just don't want to see another game fall victim to the Madden syndrome

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Bethesda makes great games, but they're buggy as hell. I bought Fallout 3 GotY and its froze on me in every single DLC pack I've played on...that's not even mentioning the bugs in the original game. I love their games, but they can be so frustrating at times.

Happy-Screamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Happy-Screamer
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

I'm concerned about this game and it won't be a day 1 purchase for me. Same engine, same graphics but made by a company that isn't familiar with the tech as it isn't theirs.

Not looking good from what I've seen gameplay wise.

schizo_talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 schizo_talon
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

I'm very excited about this game, have it on preorder already. It should play similar to Fallout 3 but with some improvements or interesting features. Like the 3d person view should be improved, also you'll be able to customizeyour weapons or something like that, plus gambling should be fun.Also there is the hardcore mode, which seems interesting.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#34 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Love Fallout 1-3, hell, I played Brotherhood of Steel. It's one of my favorite RPG series.

But for some reason, I have zero hype concerning New Vegas. I think it has to do with my lack of faith in Obsidian. I mean, I was excited because they actually got time to develop this game, unlike their previous titles. Bioware worked on KOTOR for what? 3 years? Then Obsidian was forced to put KOTOR 2 out a mere year later? And that happens all the time with that company. So I figure New Vegas has a good shot since it had at least two years development time. But then I look at Alpha Protocol, which took Obsidian some time and was a massive disappointment. I think that they're trying to cram too much into the game. Look at the preorder bonuses to learn what I'm talking about. It seems that New Vegas is being set up to be a disappointment, but as a Fallout fan I'll probably buy it day one and hope for the best. *Fingers crossed*

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#35 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Fallout 3 is my favorite game this gen. It could be a fraction of the game Fallout 3 was and it'd be great.

ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

Haven't seen much on the game, but what I have seen suggests nothing great about the game.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#37 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Fallout 3 makes the most out ofthe money you spend on it, no game has kept me more engaged than Fallout 3 in a single playthrough. Fallout: New Vegas will be brilliant!

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

Fallout 3 is my favorite game this gen. It could be a fraction of the game Fallout 3 was and it'd be great.

brickdoctor
hopefully new vegas is going to take that place away from fo3 , its yet my fav game too