Dragon Age: Origins - Am I missing something?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lukas1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lukas1051
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts

After hearing so much about how good Dragon Age: Origins is, I decided to pick it up. I've been playing for about 2 to 3 hours so far, and I just can't get into it. I started out as a Forest Elf (sorry, I can't remember the proper name), and it just seems a bit... boring. It's much more linear than I expected, and the combat is confusing and just not that fun at the minute. I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe something a bit like Oblivion... I'm not sure. I'm not a big fan of character builds or anything like that (which is obviously very in-depth with this game), and the storyline isn't particulary interesting so far, I prefer exploring big open areas. I just want to know if it gets better. Maybe I chose the wrong person to start out as? I don't know...

Sportsnut101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sportsnut101
Member since 2003 • 7538 Posts
Do you control all party members in battle? I usually hate games where I can't do that.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

The game isn't ofa sprawling open world design like Oblivion, instead you get loads of quests that you complete within set areaswhichcan betravelled to freely. Given, there's quite a few areas, but itsareas are definitelya linear affair. Personally, I think it works magnificenly, as you get to experience the developers story the way they want you to, and all of the environments are brimming with history and detail. You may not like the game simply because of the strategy focussed combat, I found it refreshing from the start, but some didn't I'd wait until you complete the Tower of Ishal to pass final judgement. As for the stroy, there's no denying its awesome. Its LotR epic good vs. evil all out war story where you must assemble the ranks. Its nothing deep, but the characters and small quests you play throughout the game give the world more depth.

BMAC520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BMAC520
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts

I found the game to be slow, boring, and easy alomst. It seems more geared towards a pc set up, and I also hate games (RPGs espcially) where you cant control all of your characters. Have you tried Demon's Soul yet? Badass game

GrimMcSlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GrimMcSlam
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts

Give it time! It starts off a little slow I guess you could say but it's definetly worth sticking with. Best game I've played in a while.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jamejame

After hearing so much about how good Dragon Age: Origins is, I decided to pick it up. I've been playing for about 2 to 3 hours so far, and I just can't get into it. I started out as a Forest Elf (sorry, I can't remember the proper name), and it just seems a bit... boring. It's much more linear than I expected, and the combat is confusing and just not that fun at the minute. I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe something a bit like Oblivion... I'm not sure. I'm not a big fan of character builds or anything like that (which is obviously very in-depth with this game), and the storyline isn't particulary interesting so far, I prefer exploring big open areas. I just want to know if it gets better. Maybe I chose the wrong person to start out as? I don't know...

lukas1051

Yes you can, both directly and through simple commands.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jamejame

I found the game to be slow, boring, and easy alomst. It seems more geared towards a pc set up, and I also hate games (RPGs espcially) where you cant control all of your characters. Have you tried Demon's Soul yet? Badass game

BMAC520

You can control your party members in battle. :|

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
I love the game and from what you posted it seems that this game isn't for you. For me the story progressed nicely and by the end I was having a blast. Tons of customization and numerous ways to tackle a section of the game. The first 2-3 hours, which is what you claim to have played, is linear. After you make it past your first town you can choose where to go and what quests to do in any order you want. So it's not a linear game at all really.
stormingly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stormingly
Member since 2009 • 123 Posts

I was a forest elf at first, and it took me a while to get into it. I then started over as a city elf, and I enjoyed it a lot more, for some reason. It may also be that Dragon Age just isn't for you. I bought Oblivion after all the hype, and I still haven't gotten too into it.

darkhart7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darkhart7
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

Only time will tell really, I'm actually enjoying DA now it did start out a lil slow for me at first but its getting good as I go along. Fallout 3 I asked myself the same question because I gameflied it a long time ago for 360 and wondered what the fuss was about, just purchased recently for PS3, put some more time into it and I enjoy it.

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Give it time! It starts off a little slow I guess you could say but it's definetly worth sticking with. Best game I've played in a while.

GrimMcSlam
Yeah, It really is a good game, just get up to the bit where you join the Grey Wardens and u will become addicted.
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
Do you control all party members in battle? I usually hate games where I can't do that.Sportsnut101
yes you do or can. you can set auto playes and casting attacking stuff like that or you can just hit R1 to scroll through them.
The_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_89
Member since 2009 • 594 Posts

I'm the same, I just can't get into it. I've given up on it now.

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

when i first put in DA:O i felt like it belonged on my PS2 not my PS3, but luckily i continued playing it because the game literally became my obsession. after 100 + hours i felt as though i had played through a fantastic story with many memorable locations and characters. it may not be for you tc, but your not alone when you say that the game didn't peak your interest in the first2 - 3 hours, but if you give it a chance it may overwhelm you and have you coming back for more;) this game turned out to be one of my favorite games this gen, but i would never have guessed it with how the game starts.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I didn't care for the game at first, but I gave it another chance as a different character and am enjoying it a lot more now. The battle system was very frstrating for me, but now that I have a Warrior and 2 mages healing me it's very smooth. I had always liked the story and characters though.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#16 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I thought that character you chose probably had the worst starting. The Dwarf Noble was probably the best
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
I thought that character you chose probably had the worst starting. The Dwarf Noble was probably the bestLegolas_Katarn
Indeed, though in all likelihood the canon origin is the Human Noble(though Bioware can probably work around that, for better or worse is individual taste). Some origins are much better than others(and longer too). TC if you didn't like the first 2-3 hours, that's a shame really. IMO the best parts of the story are the beginning(after origins) and ending. Everything in between, was more like simply character interaction rather than story. There isn't a world to explore like Oblivion, and within towns/areas it's more linear. The non-linear aspect mostly comes from deciding which town/area to go to first once you get the world map. But anyone who has played the game will tell you there are towns/areas that are best headed to first, while some other areas should be done later when experienced. I knocked nearly 100 hours into my first playthrough. The game has it's ups and downs, the bests parts are the characters who join your party, and the gameplay mechanics. Though if you want to be extra safe, read up on the worthwhile talents/magics, because not all of them are great (ie. waste of points). It's a big investment playing DA:O, but I think worth it. Maker preserve us!
kosmosfreak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kosmosfreak2
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts

Its good.

Its not great and imo does not deserve a 9. Its got a decent story and theres a lot more backstory you have to read through text than actual story. The controlls are clunky and the graphics... well imo the graphics are kind of terrible in some areas and great in others. The environment detail is great but any character be it pc or npc seems just clunky and slow imo.

Its worth playing but im glad I rented it rather than pay 60 bucks for it.

so yeah to re iterate I don't get the hype about it but its an ok game overall and its almost worth a 60 dollar purchase because it has more than 40 hours of game play not counting dlc. Im just saying im glad I rented it instead. I would of given it an 8 or a 7.5 myself.

albatrossdrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 albatrossdrums
Member since 2008 • 1178 Posts

I loved it - but it sounds like it's not for you. Not really interested in changing your mind.

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

Its good.

Its not great and imo does not deserve a 9. Its got a decent story and theres a lot more backstory you have to read through text than actual story. The controlls are clunky and the graphics... well imo the graphics are kind of terrible in some areas and great in others. The environment detail is great but any character be it pc or npc seems just clunky and slow imo.

Its worth playing but im glad I rented it rather than pay 60 bucks for it.

so yeah to re iterate I don't get the hype about it but its an ok game overall and its almost worth a 60 dollar purchase because it has more than 40 hours of game play not counting dlc. Im just saying im glad I rented it instead. I would of given it an 8 or a 7.5 myself.

kosmosfreak2

i ownly spent $35 - $40 for my mine. i wonder how much this game is going for now. :question:

GripNRip73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 GripNRip73
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts

lukas1051
Hang in there. The beginning story line is a little slow because its developing the character story for you. I started with the same Character, the Forest Elf. After you become a Warden the story will take off, and the areas will become bigger. For the leveling up of your character, you could always choose auto-level and it will do it for you. Have a good game.
Havok04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Havok04
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts

It took me a good 5-10 hours to really get into this game. Once the story begins to develop and you understand just what the hell is going on, coupled with some pretty sweet abilities this game starts to become enjoyable.

The incredibly amount of lag once the screen becomes overloaded with people is repulsing, however.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="GrimMcSlam"]

Megaman5364
Yeah, It really is a good game, just get up to the bit where you join the Grey Wardens and u will become addicted.

That's when things got really entertaining. I've put it about 25 hours or so on the hardest difficulty, and it's just keeps getting better. I haven't had much time to play it lately, but when I get the chance I'll put in a few good hours. I would say just give it time.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

The gameplay system in this game kinda too hardcore compared to the typical rpgs on the ps3. When you build your character, you're almost expected to know all the skills for all the characters and begin building your characters right from the start with your entire path in mind, and how your specific build will accomodate your other characters. The story imo is very good though, and lots of interesting twists and plot details around almost every single corner. And the codex is very interesting to read.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Well Dalish Elf origin story is by far the worst and boring out of all the origin stories, the actual game though is fantastic. You just chose a really boring origin.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

The story really picks up after the Battle at Ostagar. Personally I thought being the Dalish Elf was pretty boring. It was one of the shortest and least interesting of the intro stories. Human Noble was pretty good and so were a couple of others. You kinda get used to the combat after a while, but it's definitely not a strong-point of the game.