Dragon Age mage question...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

is being a shapeshifter worth it? It seems like sort of an underpowered specialization... am I wrong?

EDIT: Also, is the Arcane Warrior spec worth going into, even if I don't really want to use Melee (but more protective armor would be useful)

daveversion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 daveversion1
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts
Not really, it can be quite powerful, depends how you want to play.
varunvikram1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 varunvikram1
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts
Depends on how you play. Try experimenting it and see if it suits you. I personally never liked it
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Essian
I figure that unless you play exclusively as that specialization, it isn't as useful.
jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

is being a shapeshifter worth it? It seems like sort of an underpowered specialization... am I wrong?

Essian
not really, it's not really a good specialization imo.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Essian
I made an edit to the main post about Arcane Warrior spec as well...
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Shapeshifter isn't so good, Arcane Warrior on the other hand is even if you don't use Melee weapons as it allows you to not only wear heavier armors such as Mail and even plate, but you can also gain spells that give you large bonuses to defense and resistance, aswell as faster mana regeneration.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

EDIT: Also, is the Arcane Warrior spec worth going into, even if I don't really want to use Melee (but more protective armor would be useful)

Essian
Alright, I'll answer both of your questions. Shapeshifter is not underpowered. The key is understanding how to spend your points and how to use the specialization in general. Party make-up also play a role. There's actually a very good guide on GameFaqs on how to use it and I recommend you check it out if you're interested. It's a lot of fun if you know what you're doing. Arcane Warrior is indeed OVERpowered. Is it worth going into? If you want your ticket to easy street go ahead. There were points late in the game where I felt like I didn't need my other party members to kill mobs. Equip the right gear, spend your points wisely, and you should be GOLDEN. I hear a lot of people doing arcane warrior/blood mage. I didn't like this at all to be honest. The real key is being able to take a TON of damage and being able to sporadically heal while taking your enemies down. Therefore, I went arcane warrior/spirit healer and got pretty great results. The game was so much easier with my arcane warrior than any other class I used. It's a very powerful spec. Just note that it's a pretty good idea to do spec into this very early, which means you'll probably have to replay it with a new character so you can get your point distribution right. You need dexterity as the spec requires +hit to maintain threat among other things.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it.

jake44

yeah unless you completely dedicate your mage to it it isnt that helpful because you attacks will be utterly useless. If you do decide to go that route though it is possible to make a powerful shapeshifter build they just wont be good at anything other than shapeshifting.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Essian

[QUOTE="jake44"]

I wouldn't recommend it.

Gen007

yeah unless you completely dedicate your mage to it it isnt that helpful because you attacks will be utterly useless. If you do decide to go that route though it is possible to make a powerful shapeshifter build they just wont be good at anything other than shapeshifting.

I assume that would be the case... but now that Frostybanana mentioned it, I really want to try an Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer spec and be a Off Tank/Off heals... I would be able to DPS and heal... would be crazy awesome... damn... I'll have to add that to my list of character types to play