Dragon Age combat

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Having a little trouble determininghow the combat system in DA works. As far as I can tell its like FF 12 but I'm not sure. One of the reviews makes it sound like you can play it like an action RPG if you want but again not sure. So if someone could clear that up for me would really appreciate it.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it plays like ff12, but there is more specialization among your party members. its a great system.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's classified as an action RPG, but the combat is similar to FF12 for sure. Basically you target an enemy and the character just keeps hacking away or casting spells until it dies or you tell it to go to another enemy. The tactics system helps manage your AI characters. You can micro-manage on the fly if need be as well. I personally love DA:O, so you should give it a try for sure.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I've been thinking about getting it. I'm worried that it'll be too time consuming. There are 6 campaigns, and it takes 50 hours to beat one (from what I've heard)and this doesnt include sidequests and dlc.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yokofox33

I've been thinking about getting it. I'm worried that it'll be too time consuming. There are 6 campaigns, and it takes 50 hours to beat one (from what I've heard)and this doesnt include sidequests and dlc.

AsadMahdi59

It'll take a lot less than that. I did a ton of sidequests and 2 DLC packs and my total playtime was just at 50 hours. You can probably beat each Origin story in 20-30 hours to be honest if you rush through it. DA:O is a time consumer though because it is so addictive, I'll give you that. I'm on my third playthrough right now.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

If you can get it on PC.

Oxymandias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Oxymandias
Member since 2006 • 330 Posts

Party of up to four members who are automated (you can change their combat tactics).. So at a minimal you have to control your main character in combat at the other end of the spectrum you can micro-manage all of your party.

Its a good system wish there was a way to automate your main character.. ;-)

Oink!

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
What are you guys on about? 6 stories? It generally takes about 30-40 hours a playthrough. I would know, I have a plat and have played the game to death. Maybe 50 or so if you do the sidequests. There's no grinding or anything though, as enemies don't respawn. The Origin stories only take maybe 1-2 hours tops. The rest of the story is almost exactly the same every time. So you can see 90% of the game in one playthrough.
brakey101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brakey101
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

Its a good game. Can be difficult but it makes you think what your going to do to beat the enemy when you keep dieing :P

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I first played it on the consoles. I beat the game once on PS3, then replayed it again on the Xbox 360 (for better frame rate). Then, I sucked it up and tried it for the PC just to see why it was so much better on it than the consoles. The PC is sooooo much better. I should have played it on the PC in the first place. I'm not being a fanboy or anything.. but the PC version is really worth checking out if you want the best out of DAO: Origins.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yokofox33

What are you guys on about? 6 stories? It generally takes about 30-40 hours a playthrough. I would know, I have a plat and have played the game to death. Maybe 50 or so if you do the sidequests. There's no grinding or anything though, as enemies don't respawn. The Origin stories only take maybe 1-2 hours tops. The rest of the story is almost exactly the same every time. So you can see 90% of the game in one playthrough.dkjestrup

The 6 Origins stories. You could just play through the beginning part I imagine, but the TC seemed to want to complete the game fully with each Origin available.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
^ Well it sounded like he was expecting 6 completely different games. I recommend Dwarf Noble, City Elf just by the way. Human Noble is fine too, but I've done it a million times because I hate mages and I like humans.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I would compare it more to WoW than FFXII. I personally hate the combat but the story is so good I'm forcing my way through it.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yokofox33

^ Well it sounded like he was expecting 6 completely different games. I recommend Dwarf Noble, City Elf just by the way. Human Noble is fine too, but I've done it a million times because I hate mages and I like humans.dkjestrup

Yeah, I hate mages as well. If I do decide to play as a mage I'd only do it for the trophy. And I would control somone else in the party like Alistair or Oghren since I just can't play as a mage. Warriors and Rogues are where it's at.