Does The Ps3 Have A powerful "Cell"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 milan22
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts
Well, in the beginning. Note: i'm not comparing formats.. just wanna peace of info. Does the "Cell Processor" hv more power these PCs 8800 or 7900 or whatever (i'm not good at that)? cuz i was impressed in those new gaming PCs that contain the best graphic cards, etc. so now, can Sony's Cell Proccesor deliver us more power than these cards?? some people say *if the Ps3 had Crysis, it wouldn't even be able to run it!* and i'm shocked:(. is that true.. info plz THANKS
cedmonds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cedmonds
Member since 2005 • 56 Posts

Right, first point the cell is the ps3s cpu, not gpu, so comparing the two is like comparing a fridge and a lorry. the GPU or rsx (reality synthiser)(spelt wrong) is different to the normal pc graphics cards, the ps3s rsx has a clock rate of 550mhz, same as a 7900, but the rsx memory is at 3.2mhz, a bit higher than the 7900s 1400mhz.

i play on the ps3 alot more than my pc, so i will say the ps3 is better!!

4200x2, 3gb ddr2 400, 7600gs 256mb and some other elves inside my computer

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

Right, first point the cell is the ps3s cpu, not gpu, so comparing the two is like comparing a fridge and a lorry. the GPU or rsx (reality synthiser)(spelt wrong) is different to the normal pc graphics cards, the ps3s rsx has a clock rate of 550mhz, same as a 7900, but the rsx memory is at 3.2mhz, a bit higher than the 7900s 1400mhz.

cedmonds
shows how much u do not know young one. (just felt like saying that) The cell isnt like a normal cpu. unlike other's it's designed to be able to do the tasks of a gpu also, not just the cpu's tasks. So in other words...there is no way to tell how powerful the ps3 is xD
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 milan22

cedmonds
Ok thanks but what d u mn with "The ps3 is better"? it's Cell is better but not the best, right? (i think i've just answered my own question)
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 milan22
[QUOTE="cedmonds"]

CosmoKing7717
shows how much u do not know young one. (just felt like saying that) The cell isnt like a normal cpu. unlike other's it's designed to be able to do the tasks of a gpu also, not just the cpu's tasks. So in other words...there is no way to tell how powerful the ps3 is xD

ok as u r smart one now, can the ps3 run games as big (other better words can be used than "big")- as big as Crysis? not comparing. dnt eat me mods.
hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

*if the Ps3 had Crysis, it wouldn't even be able to run it!* milan22
Yeah, thats probably truth... PC gaming will always deliver better graphics, ALWAYS...

The cell processor is not that powerful by itself, the catch of its power is that is basically several processor running in parallel.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 milan22

[QUOTE="milan22"]*if the Ps3 had Crysis, it wouldn't even be able to run it!* hermes200

Yeah, thats probably truth... PC gaming will always deliver better graphics, ALWAYS...

The cell processor is not that powerful by itself, the catch of its power is that is basically several processor running in parallel.

too bad. Sony can do nothing about improving thier cell, can they?
nerdman60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nerdman60
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts
nope the Cell processor is the reason why the ps3 is the inferior console
handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts
[QUOTE="hermes200"]

[QUOTE="milan22"]*if the Ps3 had Crysis, it wouldn't even be able to run it!* milan22

Maybe they could develop a new Mobo with More powerfull cell and more memorie and so, but doubt they will, Besides i realy think that the PS3 could handle crysis with all its glory since it doesnt have a power leaching OS to run it from...

And i would Compare the Cell and the RSX together with a 8800GTS/GT alone atm, but thats my speculations since it realy hasnt been tested agains PC hardware to beginn with.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 milan22
[QUOTE="milan22"][QUOTE="hermes200"]

[QUOTE="milan22"]*if the Ps3 had Crysis, it wouldn't even be able to run it!* handag

Maybe they could develop a new Mobo with More powerfull cell and more memorie and so, but doubt they will, Besides i realy think that the PS3 could handle crysis with all its glory since it doesnt have a power leaching OS to run it from...

And i would Compare the Cell and the RSX together with a 8800GTS/GT alone atm, but thats my speculations since it realy hasnt been tested agains PC hardware to beginn with.

ye i hope so.. but if this happened, we'll hv to buy a new ps3 wich sucks!
P08C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 P08C
Member since 2008 • 729 Posts
if you do a search for "playstation3 supercomputer" you'll find an article about a guy who was able to link 8 ps3s together and create the world's cheapest ps3....the ps3 is just that powerful. There have also been agenicies that have linked way more ps3s together to create a supercomputer.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
[QUOTE="milan22"][QUOTE="hermes200"]

[QUOTE="milan22"]*if the Ps3 had Crysis, it wouldn't even be able to run it!* handag

This will never happen. The whole point of console gaming is that within a generation, the hardware specs don't change. Sure you can upgrade your hard drive if you want, but if they released a ps3 with more ram, and games started req'ing that, then everyone with an older ps3 is S.O.L. Basically, no ps3 game can require anything that isn't present in every version of ps3. That's why 360 games can not have installs, not all 360's have hard drives, or why if they add a BR add-on drive, you will still never see 360 games on BR discs.

SEGA tried that once, having extra add-on peripherals, and games that required them. They shot themselves in the foot, and wound up losing so much fan-base that they had to drop out of the hardware business.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 milan22
if you do a search for "playstation3 supercomputer" you'll find an article about a guy who was able to link 8 ps3s together and create the world's cheapest ps3....the ps3 is just that powerful. There have also been agenicies that have linked way more ps3s together to create a supercomputer.P08C
is't more powerful than Microsoft's X product? mods dnt eat me!
AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

the Cell processor is the reason why the ps3 is the superior consolenerdman60

Fix'd.

I_Helios_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_Helios_I
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

You guys have to know about programming if your going to judge what the Cell is capable of. The processor itself is able to offload a lot of tasks that would normally stress the CPU itself out onto it's 7 cores, its basically a black hole in that respect. What makes it hard to develop for is well its.............Sony lol. The Cell still has a lot of potential this generation games like Uncharted have proved that and have theoretically only pushed a third of the Cells capabilities.

Consoles will never be as powerful as PCs just because of the fact you can upgrade a PC. You can't upgrade a console.....other than the hard drive lol.