Does anyone else feel like the more they play MGS4...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts

The more you can see right through it?

I know this could besaid about any game after you replay it many times, but even though MGS4 is a great game, many of the things in the story and gameplay lost their appeal by the second or third playthrough.

The enemy patterns are extremely easy to remember when they are not spawning out of places that are fully engraved in your mind. the boss fights become even more stale and the story lost its meaning rather quickly.

And it makes sense, I played the goddamn game like 5-7 times and I have put in it more than a houndred hours and did everything that could have been done.

But I have played the olderones of the series just as much and I never felt this way.

I think this is because this game heavily relies on smoke and mirrors to make the game seem much better, but after a while, you can see right through them.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

And so the truth comes out..

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Well it can be said with most games, few manage to give you a unique experience every time you play.

macho_c_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 macho_c_a
Member since 2006 • 1007 Posts

Well it can be said with most games, few manage to give you a unique experience every time you play.

Unknown_Hero3
my thoughts exactly, VERY few games actually
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tlahui

Unknown_Hero3
yah, but it goes deeper than that. for example, compared to other MGS games, 4 felt much easier in terms of sneaking through the guards, just becuase the gameplay variety isnt that big to be honest. in MGS3 you could do a lot more things, even poison them and hiding their bodies actually helped a lot. In MGS4 they just dissappear. The stealth gameplay just isnt as tense as before. Also, the story was great when you didnt know what was gonna happen, but looking back, there are many things that lost their meaning when the story ended with a big "NO NOT RLY" situation. Eva dieng for the corpse of Big boss, raidedn "dieng" when saving snake from the tanker, Snake turning into a biochemical world wide threat... All of the things are just thrown out the window as the game finishes.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

No game is ever gonna feel fresh if you constantly play it, eventually you will get bored. Ive played MGS4 enough times to know everything about the game but still every time I get to Act 4 I always feel nostalgic and that feeling never gets old for me. Maybe you should give MGS4 a rest for a few months then get back to it.

WEAPON_X_RECON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WEAPON_X_RECON
Member since 2009 • 232 Posts

Flame-fest in the making!!! lol...I'm gonna make my comment and get out quick!!! There is no smoke and mirrors with MGS4, it's just that the gameplay has SLIGHTLY improved over the years...and that's the problem...nobody wants to come out and say it. I guess Kojima figured if it's not broke don't mess with it until there's a big out cry from the fans. I think now though they do want to go in another direction, and that's where MG rising comes in but we will just have to wait and see.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

You know, thinking about it, TC's right... but this is Kojima just doing what creators do best: illusions.

Artists always make the best liars, as lying is their passion.

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tlahui

Flame-fest in the making!!! lol...I'm gonna make my comment and get out quick!!! There is no smoke and mirrors with MGS4, it's just that the gameplay has SLIGHTLY improved over the years...and that's the problem...nobody wants to come out and say it. I guess Kojima figured if it's not broke don't mess with it until there's a big out cry from the fans. I think now though they do want to go in another direction, and that's where MG rising comes in but we will just have to wait and see.

WEAPON_X_RECON
I am not really sure what your point is... but MGS4 is all about the smokes and mirrors. They raging warzones that once appeared to be happening are nothing but heavyly scripted patrol guards shooting some arabs. there is no impredictability in the game, I can do anything and know exactly whats gonna happen next.

No game is ever gonna feel fresh if you constantly play it, eventually you will get bored. Ive played MGS4 enough times to know everything about the game but still every time I get to Act 4 I always feel nostalgic and that feeling never gets old for me. Maybe you should give MGS4 a rest for a few months then get back to it.

Swift_Boss_A
Oh yeah, I havnt played the game since december, but by the time I was finished my BBemblem, I felt the game had lost most of its appeal, while the other ones in the series still have it.
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tlahui

You know, thinking about it, TC's right... but this is Kojima just doing what creators do best: illusions.

Artists always make the best liars, as lying is their passion.

Scianix-Black
lol, also VERY true. looking back at the psyco mantis fight and all that stuff, but back then it felt more innovative. But yeah, I guess you are right in that sense-
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

Tlahui

Oh yeah, I havnt played the game since december, but by the time I was finished my BBemblem, I felt the game had lost most of its appeal, while the other ones in the series still have it.

I dunno I feel MGS4 is as good and memorable if not more so then MGS2 and MGS3. MGS1 still being my fav. Well as fans we tend to have higher expections to the point where they are usually never met. Maybe you shouldnt expect MGS4 to be the best game ever but a great edition to the MGS series and for me it's a great finale for Solid Snake.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

You know, now that you bring it up, Super Mario Bro's had the same problem my 10th time through. The plot wasn't deep at all when you think about it, the game play wasn't that much better than Mario 3. It was all a lot better the first time through but with repetition, it became almost boring.

Game's will continue to lose their shine the more you play it. Some games are meant to be played through a few times, but not forever. When a game becomes predictable and loses its challenge, it just doesn't seem as cool, but its not the game's fault. Even multiplayer games do this. All games do. Don't blame the game, its an expected reaction over time. Its why we have more than 1 game to play :)

NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts

SPOILER

[QUOTE="Unknown_Hero3"]Eva dieng for the corpse of Big boss, raidedn "dieng" when saving snake from the tanker, Snake turning into a biochemical world wide threat... All of the things are just thrown out the window as the game finishes.Tlahui

Thanks so much for putting the spoiler tags. Thanks a lot, really. :roll:

END SPOILER

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
how can you expect to play a game 5 times and not expect it to get old.
bogeta24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 bogeta24
Member since 2009 • 142 Posts
agreed but there are some games that give you an experience that has never been given before. Its not the case for mgs4. It pretty much the old version with a more flexible level of gameplay which is good but not ground breaking. The graphics are incredible though.