does anyone believe the A.I in a game prepare anyone for online competitions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Unknown_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Unknown_B
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

In games like sports, fighting, and any competitive gaming does anyone believe the A.I. can prepare you for anything online. When I play games like Virtua Fighter 5 or Street Fighter IV the A.I works on timing and chaining combo, but even on the most diffcult settings these games A.I aren't enough to give u any remote training for online competitiion. Same could be said for games like Madden or NBA 2k9, Im wondering if UFC's A.I. well prep anyone for the online battles to come. Its almost as if now gaming A.I is in a flux, consumers ask for it to be smarter and harder, but it really serves no purpose to anyone to get better.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

To the extent they do in my opinion.

You learn maps, you set bots on harder difficulty and you practice.

As for A.I. - that depends on a game, when it comes to sports game that really depends on how good you're controlling the game itself. Fighting games will teach you basics and sometimes intermediate approach to the opponent - however online folks are very competitive and go beyond what you learn and know.

I thought I was decent in Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection... lets just say I'm pretty bad VS pro's. ;)

Depends on a game, you will learn what you need to know and be aware of with A.I. - however mastering and being competitive online is most of time obtained with lots and lots of practice and many online matches.

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts
maybe on sports games. it depends on the game itself. (e.g. metal gear online doesnt play like the single player mgs4.)
NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

no, actually it is quite the opposite..

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

not at all. you can beat the game on the most difficult levels and still won't do anything for online

fighting games- a.i. doesn't adapt. they block certain attacks more than they do others. its a matter of finding the right move to exploit. plus it doesn't teach you anything about defense.

sports games= the a.i. play realisticly...but human players do some unnatural things that a.i. wont

shooters-all bots have is aim...but anyone that plays fps know that there are things that human players do like jump and shoot, prone and shoot, no scoping, camp in weird places etc....

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

In my experiences, no.

For example, practicing Soul Calibur IV solely on the AI will cause you to form bad habits that can cost you a match. (Like how I can't help but do Seong Mina's 44A a foot in front of my opponent)

There are certain things that human players will do that AI just won't take into account in certain situations.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

It really, really depends on the game for me. When it came to Rainbow Six Vegas the singleplayer actually helped me forge online tactics. Now in the game Burnout Revenge it was the opposite, I was stuck really bad in the singleplayer but playing multiplayer for a good while helped me breeze through the game.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

Looks like I'm the only guy who's actually benifited from playing games on their most difficult mode. For FPS it helps me get headshots much quicker and get to cover. It also helps me with pineapple explosions and throwing them. Although the single player modes feel a lot different than the multiplayer in most games, I just notice my style is smoother once i've beaten the single player.

For other games, I think it helps you build a strategy, getting comfortable knowing the basics. Knowing what to do isn't enough to win though, you gotta know what your opponent is going to do, and how you can get past that. A.I. just won't prepare you for that.

cheezy909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cheezy909
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
To a small extent. Realy i think its good 2 play sp before going online 2 get used 2 how the games played and learn the controls.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
No, computer AI does not currently match skilled and experienced gamers.
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
I will say this- in MGO, your more likely to get cought using boxes by the AI than online :P
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Unlikely. The AI are there to challenge you in the single player. Not to set you up for a tougher challenge online.

james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts

A.I. is good so that you can learn the basics but it isn't the best kind of competition. Human players will play very differently then their A.I. counterparts and will usually be better then them.

rahul_rul210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 rahul_rul210
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
a bit