Do you want backwards compatibility for PS2 games to come back for the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I notice that many people like to hate on backwards compatiblity and those who want it. I am curious, how many people want it to come back? I mean, it seems like the PS2 is going to disappear soon, so getting a PS2 probably won't be an option anymore later on. The PS2 is more than 11 years old now I think. I think Target has stopped selling them, So most likely, more and more stores are probably going to stop selling them maybe around when the NGP comes out because they need to make room for the newer stuff. Also, PS2 had some of the best games that ever came out! With over 1800 games, the PS3 would get access to a huge library, which is even bigger than the PS3 library at the moment. which would be another huge plus for the PS3.

For me, I think it should come back. Backwards compatiblity was one of the things why I originally chose the PS3. I mean, Sony themselves said that removing backwards compatiblity did not cut down costs that much, they are actually saying that they took it out because they wanted to "encourage people to buy PS3 games". I think though, it was a mistake to remove it from the beginning. Lots of people have been asking for it, it's the second most requested thing at Sony's official blog share.

I have a 60 GB model but you know, there is no guarantee that will last for years to come, so I really do want a slim but I want it to be backwards compatible.

With the PS3, you can make as much memory cards as you want, you can use a wireless controler, the PS3 upscales your PS2 games, and you get less clutter. So really, what's not to like about backwards compatibilty? I know there are some hard core Sony fanboys who like to defend everything Sony does, but I don't agree with Sony's choice in removing it. I think it was one of their worst decisions they ever made!

I know there have been many threads about backwards compatiblity in the past, but I never seen one directly asking people if they wanted it, and I never seen one with a poll.

If you don't care about the subject, that's fine, but don't attack me for posting this thread!

So, thoughts?

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Would have been nice for me in the earlier years of the PS3s life but I have sold all my PS2 games now as they were no longer been used.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Target has PS2's for sale, on their webpage... (gamespot won't let me hot link.... too big, I guess. So, you'll have to copy and paste)

http://www.target.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2289918011&searchNodeID=2289918011&rh=product_site_launch_date%3A-0a|launch-date%3A-1y|availability%3A-2|hardware_platform-bin%3APlaystation%202&releaseID=

Anyway, being that my phat PS2 still works and my PS3 is about 3 weeks old.... I'm not all that concerned. But, yeah backward compatibility would be good. Although, I wouldn't use it if my PS3 was capable, because I rather wear out my old stuff than my new stuff.

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

It's only a matter of time before they decide to digitally release PS2 titles via the PSN. They might as well give b/c to those who don't have a b/c system.

Ps2 titles on the PS3 / 4 or the NGP / PSP2. That, or re-make all the PS2 Greatest hits with better graphics / audio.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Threesixtyci

It's only a matter of time before they decide to digitally release PS2 titles via the PSN. They might as well give b/c to those who don't have a b/c system.

Ps2 titles on the PS3 / 4 or the NGP / PSP2. That, or re-make all the PS2 Greatest hits with better graphics / audio.

brotherreese
Given the trend of these PS2 games being revamped for PS3 collections..... I doubt it. I also doubt Sony will ever allow PS2 BC for the PS3, for the same reasons.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
As long as Sony doesn't take away PS2 backwards compatibility on my PS2 I'm happy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts
As long as Sony doesn't take away PS2 backwards compatibility on my PS2 I'm happy.Timstuff
They couldn't possibily do that.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I have a PS2 Slim new, in-box, for if my other two ever die. I can't even begin to think of my gaming world without "Sky Odyssey" being playable. My Top Favorite Game of All Time!!! No kiddin'. And up til now, every bit worth buying an entire system to ensure... But I sure would like to just be able to play it on my PS3 slim!!!

:D

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Yes please. That way I'll be able to finish the ps2 MK games on ps3 and I won't have to buy GoW Collection anymore.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jak-25

Target has PS2's for sale, on their webpage... (gamespot won't let me hot link.... too big, I guess. So, you'll have to copy and paste)

http://www.target.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2289918011&searchNodeID=2289918011&rh=product_site_launch_date%3A-0a|launch-date%3A-1y|availability%3A-2|hardware_platform-bin%3APlaystation%202&releaseID=

Anyway, being that my phat PS2 still works and my PS3 is about 3 weeks old.... I'm not all that concerned. But, yeah backward compatibility would be good. Although, I wouldn't use it if my PS3 was capable, because I rather wear out my old stuff than my new stuff.

Threesixtyci

Target.com does still sell them, but I know 2 local Targets around me did not have them, also, I want to a Sony Style Store and they did not have any PS2 systems or even any games or accessories, but most likely it maybe that stores won't want to sell PS2's anymore since they need to make room for the newer game systems, plus PS2's don't seem to sell as much as they used to. Plus, the PS2 has reached the end of it's life cycle, so it probab;y does not have more than 2 years left at most.

[QUOTE="brotherreese"]

Threesixtyci

Given the trend of these PS2 games being revamped for PS3 collections..... I doubt it. I also doubt Sony will ever allow PS2 BC for the PS3, for the same reasons.

They can't remaster every PS2 game though, not even half of them, ecpecially since they are releasing them very slowly. lol I do like that they are re-mastering PS2 games but they still should bring back backwards compatability.

Avatar image for killertrumpet92
killertrumpet92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killertrumpet92
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]As long as Sony doesn't take away PS2 backwards compatibility on my PS2 I'm happy.Crossel777

If they could, they would ;) lol

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I do. One of the reasons I held on buying a ps3 was because I kept hoping they would reintroduce backwards capatibility with ps2 games again, but they still haven't. If something ever happens to my ps2 in the future, I'll have almost 40 games I won't be able to play anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

[QUOTE="Crossel777"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]As long as Sony doesn't take away PS2 backwards compatibility on my PS2 I'm happy.killertrumpet92

If they could, they would ;) lol

Well I'm assuming he ment PS1 backwards compatibility because you don't call a PS2 that plays PS2 games backwards compatibility. -_-. If they wanted to take it out they would of done it by now by making a new model without it. PS2 in it's entire 10 year of existance has never been without PS1 BC. So no they wouldn't of.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
no! I had an original 20gig and 60gig and 80gig with BC and I played 4 PS2 games max: GOW 1, GOW 2, FF12 and MGS Collection It is great to have but I personally never touched PS2 games once more games started coming out on the PS3
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#15 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Nope.

All the series that I loved on the PS2 are/will be on the PS3 in HD. I will get those.

If I had a huge library of titles for my PS2 then I might have a different opinion.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't really care. I have a PS2 so it doesn't bother me. I also have a 60gb PS3.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

As long as Sony doesn't take away PS2 backwards compatibility on my PS2 I'm happy.Timstuff

Huh?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Nope.

All the series that I loved on the PS2 are/will be on the PS3 in HD. I will get those.

If I had a huge library of titles for my PS2 then I might have a different opinion.

Namgis

Agreed, but it kinda sucks that will have to pay for those tittles twice.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jak-25

I am kind of surprised that people would actually vote no for backwards compatiblity. I mean, maybe you would not care about it, but lots of people want it. if you had the choice, would you really reject it being in there, I mean it being in there would not harm your PS3 game experience. Sony really should bring it back. They did promise that they would support backwards compatibliy for every PlayStation system they release so they did break their promise. The PS4 better have full backwards compatiblity, becasue if it does not, then it would kind of make me think twice in buying a multi-platform game on their machines.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Yeah I don't really care... I own a ps2. I'm sure it'd be nice for people who dont tho.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It would be nice. And they could even get some money for it by charging $10-$20 for a BC option. Really, they're halfway there - they've already emulated the GPU. At least, I think it's the GPU that was emulated and the old PS2 CPU physically slapped into the final BC units. It could be the other way around.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jak-25

It would be nice. And they could even get some money for it by charging $10-$20 for a BC option. Really, they're halfway there - they've already emulated the GPU. At least, I think it's the GPU that was emulated and the old PS2 CPU physically slapped into the final BC units. It could be the other way around.DJ_Lae

I'm sure it isn't that hard for them to release an emulator, since in 2009 we saw them patent for an emulator or something. They could even charge for it or something. They know many of us want it. I just don't understand Sony, I really don't. They promised to support backwards compatiblity, but they went back on their word. They should not keep lying to their fans, because that is bad buisness practice.

I am just waiting to see if they bring it back or not. I would have a higher opinion of them if they listened. It would probably make me want to get a slim right away, just maybe. lol

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Do I want it? Sure, why not? Do I care? Not the slightest bit. I still have my 80GB BC and my PS2 so I really don't need BC for my Slim, although it would be nice to finally be able to play the Final Mix versions of KH and the International versions of the FF games without spending the money on a Japanese PS2. I don't really need to play those versions of the games though so I could honestly care less if they ever bring back BC.
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
Well, PS2 games look like crud on my HDTV, so I'm grateful for the remasters, but I think every console should have BC because I don't think games are disposable. I will be more mad when the PS4 doesn't have BC, at that point I'll probably just invest in a gaming PC.
bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#25 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

They should bring back the PS2 backwards compatibility. I keep having to share the PS2 with my little cousin and he already damaged the controllers for it but I don't have to share my PS3 since I bought it myself. At least I can still play my PS1 discs on my PS3.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I wouldn't mind it, yeah. I have the 80 gig with "two" usb ports instead of "four" so it isn't compatible.. i mean what the hell is that? i still have my ps2 it's a pain having two systems because i dont have the room for them by my TV, so i have to switch back and forth..

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Peep the sig.

When my 60GB stopped reading discs, I bought a 320GB Slim, and a used PS2 Slim because Gamestop had them used for cheap.

Haven't even thought of playing a PS2 game. PS2 is still in its box.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jak-25

Peep the sig.

When my 60GB stopped reading discs, I bought a 320GB Slim, and a used PS2 Slim because Gamestop had them used for cheap.

Haven't even thought of playing a PS2 game. PS2 is still in its box.

ItsEvolution

Buying a PS2 in the only option now, that's true, but it won't be out much longer since it's now reaching the end of it's life cycle.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#29 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I'd love to have it back. I don't know how much I would use it, but to have the option would at least be comforting.

I have a PS2 Slim new, in-box, for if my other two ever die. I can't even begin to think of my gaming world without "Sky Odyssey" being playable. My Top Favorite Game of All Time!!! No kiddin'. And up til now, every bit worth buying an entire system to ensure... But I sure would like to just be able to play it on my PS3 slim!!!

:D

MonkeySpot

I really need to go and buy some back-up PlayStation 2's at some point. Seems like the best way to ensure that I'll always be able to revisit some old favorites.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I got it so dont care about the rest of you cheap bastards.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#31 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I've moved on from the PS2 now ever since I got a PS3a few years ago. The only way I'd play a PS2 game now is if one of my favourites came to PSN, otherwise I look ahead to the future

IAMTHEVIPQUEEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 IAMTHEVIPQUEEN
Member since 2009 • 723 Posts

Let me put it this way: I wouldn't mind if they add backward compatibility for free, but knowing myself, I can't go back to old-looking games.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
While its nice to have, i never once played any ps2 games on my 60gb. There are so many awesome ps3 games to play, don't know when id have the time to go back and play ps2 games. Its a nice feature to have, and id would like to go back and play some old ps2 games one day.
DangerRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DangerRemix
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts
I would like to see backwards compatibility come back to the ps3, I still have my good old classic socom games I would like to play again. And I still have my metal gear games as well. I have a ps2 still, but works when it wants too, and when it doesn't.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
While I have a PS2 that I play regularly, I would still be nice to have backwards-compatibility on the PS3 due to upscaling and unlimited Memory Card space. If people would just stop buying those HD collecions...
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Would be nice but it takes about 1 minute to setup my PS2 which are available now for like $15 so i really don't see why people are so arrogant as to not pay a measly sum of money to play a large and great collection of games they probably already own.
darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts
I don't hate on Backward compatibility. But since they are remaking certain games into HD now, and I didn't have that many PS2 games to begin with, I'll say I don't care. I don't think its coming back anytime soon. If they cared about it they would have implemented it with the release of the PS3 slim. The only series I'm waiting for is a remake of MGS in HD.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Threesixtyci

I don't understand why Sony even bothered with an emulator. I mean, how much does a PS2 internals cost them to make nowadays, anyway? 10 bucks? I'm sure, if they wanted to, they could stick the PS2 internals into the PS3 casing. Then they wouldn't need to emulate, anything....

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
this question is getting old. I see it on here all the time, B/C is not comming back so deal with it.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jak-25

this question is getting old. I see it on here all the time, B/C is not comming back so deal with it.jcopp72

Well, if you read my opening post, I already said that I know Backwards Compatiblity was talked about plenty of times before, but I never saw a thread that directly asked if people wanted it, or one with a poll. I was just curious. And I already knew I would be getting such responses as yours, that's why I already said my reason for posting this thread in advance. So, if you are getting tired of these threads, you don't have to pay attention to them. Simple as that.

And as for backwards compatiblity not coming back, that's fine... I should then just buy all multi-platform games for another system next gen if they continue not to support backwards compatiblity. Less money for them.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
I would like backwards compatibility to return. There are a lot of PS2 games I didn't get around to playing which I would love to play now. Maybe I should just buy a PS2?
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jak-25

I would like backwards compatibility to return. There are a lot of PS2 games I didn't get around to playing which I would love to play now. Maybe I should just buy a PS2?LazyMushroom

Buying a PS2 is the only option as of now, sadely. They need to bring back backwards compatiblity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

I think HD collections for the most part are a much better solution to the lack of backwards compatility. PS2 games did indeed look like utter crap on a HDTV, even with the upscaling features.

OrianaDorta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OrianaDorta
Member since 2005 • 3114 Posts

I can live without it but it would be awesome to have it back.