Do you trust game critics()

This topic is locked from further discussion.

A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 A-l-g-r-e-n
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts

Sorry, my keyboard's broken and I have no question mark key. Consider this () my question mark.

Back on topic, I've recently learned not to trust game critics... Their opinion is always gonna be different than mine. The one I can relate to the most is Play Magazine. And I still disagree with them on many things... Like 10.0 for Bayonetta. I was really hoping the new Army of Two game got good reviews, and was sorely disappointed, but I'm still getting the game nonetheless. Normally I wouldn't, but I've learned to value my opinion. After all, I played the demo and loved it.

Want to know you guys' opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a22550b94008
deactivated-5a22550b94008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5a22550b94008
Member since 2009 • 426 Posts

No, not really. I read up on games I want, and then I get them. There are some games that are obviously bad, and critics will usually agree in that sense, but I like some of the games they throw a 5 or 6 at, and some games receive a 10 when they aren't deserving at all.

naaros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 naaros
Member since 2009 • 330 Posts

I don't really go by critics THAT much. I pretty much know if I'm gonna get a game based on my own research, but if I'm on the edge and can't decide, I might check out a review or two and see what all they say.

Avatar image for LegendofYaslint
LegendofYaslint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#4 LegendofYaslint
Member since 2004 • 2798 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "trust" a game review. If you mean, do I trust it to tell me what games to buy? then no.

but some reviews I do trust in that I think they are giving their honest opinion and NOT simply giving the game a high score to make the company happy or to release the review earlier. Some other reviews I do NOT trust and find to be a little too forgiving.

GTA 4 and MGS4 both got a 10 and neither of those games gave me nearly as much fun as Rainbow Six Vegas, Darksiders, or even Borderlands, all games that got good reviews but not nearly as good as a 10.

It's all just personal taste. Fallout 3 didn't do much for me at all and either and it was a very highly scored game on every site.

Genre preference is another big factor. I LOVE racing games and cars to games like Forza 3, Gran Turismo, Dirt, PGRs, etc are all very great games IMO. but other games like a lot of JRPGs that get AAA scores don't give me much fun in the least.

I'd say the only two games that got rave reviews that I was equally impressed by are LBP and Demon's Souls. Those two games simply blew my mind and are two of the few games I went around telling everyone to buy. At least in terms of PS3 games.

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

I like some of the games they throw a 5 or 6 at, and some games receive a 10 when they aren't deserving at all.

sublimeandetc
Yeah like i hate GTAIV but it got a 10/10 everywhere. So i really just get what looks appealing to me, and look on metacritic everynow and then.
A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 A-l-g-r-e-n
[QUOTE="hot_shot_9"][QUOTE="sublimeandetc"]

I like some of the games they throw a 5 or 6 at, and some games receive a 10 when they aren't deserving at all.

Yeah like i hate GTAIV but it got a 10/10 everywhere. So i really just get what looks appealing to me, and look on metacritic everynow and then.

Me too. I didn't really like GTA 4 OR Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was a buggy mess. I got Army of Two 2 (lol) just now and I was playing it... It's ARSUM. Teaches me never to listen to any critic anymore :D
Justincor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Justincor
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

I use it if i am not sure about a game but i can usually tell whether i will like a game or not well before i buy it, one exception that comes to mind is prototype, i should have listened, the game was horrible.

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#8 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
We the people are the real critics.
kljohns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kljohns2
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

I think in this day and age, there is no such thing as a trustworthy review. $$$$$

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Certain critics that I have come to respect the opinion of and find that I generally am In agreement with tend to have a bit of sway over whether or not I will immediately buy a title, or wait for rentals, yeah. I don't just blindly follow review scores though. Opinions aren't something to be "trusted", just considered.
A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 A-l-g-r-e-n
We the people are the real critics.bigd575
Well put, sir.
kljohns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kljohns2

[QUOTE="bigd575"]We the people are the real critics.A-l-g-r-e-n
Well put, sir.

Word lol

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
The only thing I don't like is when critics present one side of the game and don't show it's flaws because they love it so much. They often would won't say who the game is not for but instead word it so that everyone should try it. It's as if they are indeed trying to sell a product. I've pretty much cut off from critics and trust my own instinct from now own.
kljohns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kljohns2

The only thing I don't like is when critics present one side of the game and don't show it's flaws because they love it so much. They often would won't say who the game is not for but instead word it so that everyone should try it. It's as if they are indeed trying to sell a product. I've pretty much cut off from critics and trust my own instinct from now own. anime_gamer007

Of course they're trying to sell a product! It's MEDIA! It's a business! lol There is $$$ involved therefor it is and never well be trustworthy. :twisted:

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
I trust Gametrailers for their reviews. They spend a glorious 5-7 minutes in every Video review and explain and SHOW in detail the reasons they gave their score.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
Heck no! I would never leave a game reviewer alone with my children! lol. At first they were cool, because a lot of them seemed to know WTF they were talking about. Here lately, though, they're pulling all sort of insanities out their @$$#$! The last three games I purchased were AAAs to me yet they got a 5.5, 7.5, and an 8.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Symphonycometh
Heck no! I would never leave a game reviewer alone with my children! lol. At first they were cool, because a lot of them seemed to know WTF they were talking about. Here lately, though, they're pulling all sort of insanities out their @$$#$! The last three games I purchased were AAAs to me yet they got a 5.5, 7.5, and an 8.TheEldestGod
What were the three games?
caliburgst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 caliburgst
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts
I do my own research on the game and if i want it i get it im not gonna not get a game i wanted if one critic reviews it badly. The only time i really go by a review is if im really on the fence then i might check out metacritic but normally i know if im gonna get the game or not before its reviewed.
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

I would using check with the review and watch a gameplay of it on youtube with low views. I recently brought Prince of Persia and it got a8 on gamespot but imo it was one of the worst game i ever played (good grapics though )

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEldestGod
[QUOTE="TheEldestGod"]Heck no! I would never leave a game reviewer alone with my children! lol. At first they were cool, because a lot of them seemed to know WTF they were talking about. Here lately, though, they're pulling all sort of insanities out their @$$#$! The last three games I purchased were AAAs to me yet they got a 5.5, 7.5, and an 8.Symphonycometh

James Cameron's Avatar (you have to play it in 3D! Its amazing!), Star Wars TFU: Ultimate Sith Edition, and (of course) Darksiders. Laugh all you want, but these games are pretty amazing in their own right and some of their finer aspects were completely ignored by the critics as well as some of their flaws being horribly exaggerated (Lark Anderson said Darksiders had a bad story and overly complex controls.... LMAO).
Brad1821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brad1821
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

hell no, look reviews and ratings of games should not be based on personal preferance. If a game has shoddy graphics or lack of stroytelling or anything like that well fair enough. But i read too many where the critcs gives it a bad rating because it was too hard for them, what the hell. I can't remmeber what game it was exactly but i remember reading a review and he was basiclly saying, oh i found myself stuck on soem stage for twenty minuites because th A.I was just too hard even on an easier difficulty.

I thought Get the hell out, he ended up usijg that as a reason for rating it lower. I reckon that's pretty stupid, and besides i onyl really trust one magazine and that's offical playstation magazine. IGN and gamespot included always get it wrong in my mind. Nuff said

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Gotta trust someone. I may not agree with all reviews, but at least critics give me an idea what I'm getting myself into before I buy a game. Sometimes certain things just can't be explained by gameplay videos.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

I don't trust a single reviewer, no. What I generally do is read through a lot of different reviews and look for commonalities, both good and bad. If I see reviewers praising, or complaining about different aspects that gives me at least a general idea of what to expect and if the game is a buy or rent. Oh yeah, and I never go by scores alone.

bm1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bm1212
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Yes I do trust game critics and they do mostly give truthful reviews. Like Uncharted 2. It was my favourite game of the year and one of my favourites of all time. Turns out it was the highest rated game of 2009 and one of the highest rated of all time. Also they gave Fallout 3 and Bioshock, games that I loved, really positive reviews. The only game that I disagreed with the reviews for was Resident Evil 5. I had both resident evil 4 and 5 and I really prefer number 5. The reviews weren't near its predecessor but I genuinely enjoyed it much more. I most enjoyed the co-op so I could invite my mates over to play a couple of matches sometimes which is really fun. But overall I trust game critics most of the time.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

No, anyways I know what games I like enough to figure out what I want on my own.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#26 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

On ocassions, especially when I'm looking forward to a game. If it gets a good write up, then I'm more happy, hoping that I'll agree. However some opinions just don't do it for me. Valkyria Chronicles for example got praised by nearly everyone, except I hated it

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
To a certain degree, but there are times where I have to shake my head at inconsistencies. "Hilariously bad voice performances aside..." - IGN "Terrific Voice Acting emblem!" - GameSpot :|
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
actually i like the reviews (especially the video ones) here on gamespot, of course there are times when i did not agree with them, but generally i do trust this site, actually that was the reason i stuck with it and still am... :)
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Symphonycometh

On ocassions, especially when I'm looking forward to a game. If it gets a good write up, then I'm more happy, hoping that I'll agree. However some opinions just don't do it for me. Valkyria Chronicles for example got praised by nearly everyone, except I hated it

M0wen10
Oh you troll you~
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="TheEldestGod"]Heck no! I would never leave a game reviewer alone with my children! lol. At first they were cool, because a lot of them seemed to know WTF they were talking about. Here lately, though, they're pulling all sort of insanities out their @$$#$! The last three games I purchased were AAAs to me yet they got a 5.5, 7.5, and an 8.TheEldestGod

James Cameron's Avatar (you have to play it in 3D! Its amazing!), Star Wars TFU: Ultimate Sith Edition, and (of course) Darksiders. Laugh all you want, but these games are pretty amazing in their own right and some of their finer aspects were completely ignored by the critics as well as some of their flaws being horribly exaggerated (Lark Anderson said Darksiders had a bad story and overly complex controls.... LMAO).

So said games are on the same caliber as Metal Gear Solid 4 to you?
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

It's good for reference... still, you gotta decide on your own... make your own research and reviews and decide for yourself...

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

If they give a game a lousy score, that will probably prevent me from buying it. On the other hand, I don't pay any attention to their high scores. I've played games they rated in the 9's and thought they were crap. I've played games they rated in the 8's and thought they were brilliant.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I NEVER EVER EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER cared what anyone else said about a game especially when they placed a score on it. Alot of these games who are so devoted to hearing what these reviewers have to say miss out on some GREAT games.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I do take reviews and game critics into consideration since I wish to know more about the game in general, however when it comes down to it - they have little; to no impact which games I purchase or enjoy.

No one can be a voice of truth on what you personally like or don't like other then yourself. ;)

brumley53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 brumley53
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

I think alot of game critics havent been gaming for more than a couple of years and they're just arrogant and want their opinion heard and alot of them discourage progression in game mechanics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I don't understand. What does "trust" have to do with anything. I trust they have played the game enough to form a valid opinion on it. I then READ the review they have WRITTEN (not look at scores) and what they liked and/or didn't like about a particular game. Based on that WRITTEN REVIEW, I think about whether or not the things they liked/didn't like would excite/bother me in the same way or to the same degree. I make my decision based on that.

For example, despite the countless good reviews for Demon's Souls, the overly difficult trial-and-error gameplay sounds like something that would anger and annoy me as being "cheap." So I don't buy the game.

I don't get what "trust" has to do with it. I think people who talk about "trusting" game reviewers have no idea what reviews are or how they are supposed to work.

Elv0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Elv0
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

well its their word against your own;)

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEldestGod
[QUOTE="TheEldestGod"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"] What were the three games?Symphonycometh

Dang it, Symphony, I said AAAs not AAAAAAAAAAAAAs. For me there's not a score high enough for MGS4. ;)
MFbronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MFbronz
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

about as far as i can throw em...which isnt very far.....

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="TheEldestGod"] James Cameron's Avatar (you have to play it in 3D! Its amazing!), Star Wars TFU: Ultimate Sith Edition, and (of course) Darksiders. Laugh all you want, but these games are pretty amazing in their own right and some of their finer aspects were completely ignored by the critics as well as some of their flaws being horribly exaggerated (Lark Anderson said Darksiders had a bad story and overly complex controls.... LMAO).TheEldestGod

Dang it, Symphony, I said AAAs not AAAAAAAAAAAAAs. For me there's not a score high enough for MGS4. ;)

Haha. Fair enough. :P
IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

I only use reviews as reference for a game I'm interested in and nothing else. There are plenty of games that I liked that got less than favorable reviews and you know what? I don't care! I'm the deciding factor on what games I buy not some reviewer. I would miss out on tons of great games if I let reviewers dictate what games I buy. No thanks!

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#42 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Not always some are biased but I like to check out the good points and bad points I tend to read Acegamez, Gamespot and Eurogamer reviews. But I like to play the game myself and see some gameplay footage but I like to have my own opinion on a game not anyone elses. I mean some games have been rated as terrible but I've enjoyed them while some games have been rated as 10 and I've hated them like GTAIV I didn't like it much as San Andreas or Vice City. If you listen to everything a critic says then your missing out on some great games.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I only use reviews as reference for a game I'm interested in and nothing else. There are plenty of games that I liked that got less than favorable reviews and you know what? I don't care! I'm the deciding factor on what games I buy not some reviewer. I would miss out on tons of great games if I let reviewers dictate what games I buy. No thanks!

IPwnNooBs666
Amen!
zey2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zey2k
Member since 2004 • 266 Posts

Well, for me its not about trusting, i just like to read their opinion. Couldnt care less about the score tbh. Metal gear got a 10 and i laughed. don't get me wrong, im a mgs fanboy as far as i can remember, but no game is perfect...exept mario 64, that game has the shiezleeee

fdd10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fdd10
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

If I think about getting a game, I check out things on my own. The gameplot, a few gameplay vids etc... I never look to critics if I am truly interested in a game to get.