Do you think that the PS3 is over-engineered or over-sexed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dagnelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dagnelli
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

Do you think that the PS3 is "over-engineered"?

This guy does...

CEO calls PS3 and Xbox 360 "over-engineered"

SithLordKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SithLordKiller
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts
No, I don't think it is "over-engineered." I do believe that it is "over-sexed" because it is one damn sexy machine...lol
manny203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 manny203
Member since 2004 • 350 Posts
Not at all
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

No, I don't think it is "over-engineered." I do believe that it is "over-sexed" because it is one damn sexy machine...lolSithLordKiller

lol!!!

Dagnelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dagnelli
Let me change the topic...
foxbait95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 foxbait95
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts
didnt they complain about the ps1 and ps2 on making games for it, the system is made so that you dont get all the goods upfront. we see all the raw stuff a little more and middle and end of life cycle. this is what makes the PS awesome, the games always get better and look better, year by year , we al know it was designed for the future.
Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
Only Square Enix does.
destroyuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 destroyuh
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts

the PS3 is a beast. i can't wait till developers start to realize that. right now they're focusing on the 360 simply because it's easier. lazy bastards LOL! MGS4 is proof. and i'd like to see someone show me a game that looks better than MGS4 and Wardevil. (btw Wardevil is still exclusive to PS3. it says so on their site)

Sammyboy2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sammyboy2005
Member since 2005 • 105 Posts

Well, considering 99% of us don't actually work with the PS3 on a day-to-day basis, I don't feel we can judge whether or not it is too hard to work with.

You're just gonna have to listen to the developers on this one.

MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 6

#10 MorkkiTH
Member since 2005 • 828 Posts
No it isn't!
Dagnelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dagnelli

Well, considering 99% of us don't actually work with the PS3 on a day-to-day basis, I don't feel we can judge whether or not it is too hard to work with.

Sammyboy2005

The only reason that he thinks this is because developing for WII is way cheaper... thats the reason...

myxylplyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 myxylplyx
Member since 2003 • 519 Posts
[QUOTE="Sammyboy2005"]

Dagnelli

The only reason that he thinks this is because developing for WII is way cheaper... thats the reason...

Exactly, all of the dev's that complain about how "difficult" the PS3 and 360 are to develop for are basically just saying; "they suck because it's gonna cost more money than we want to spend making games for 'em."

SithLordKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SithLordKiller

Let me change the topic...Dagnelli

hahaha...definitely over-sexed

ajamjkm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ajamjkm
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

short answer: yes

Long answer: The PS3 has some great technology in it: blue ray, hd, flash drives, but those technologies are not used greatly or at all today, so in today's world the PS3 is over-engineered. However, it has been stated, more times than even the cell can count, that the PS3 is for the future; when HDTV's will be in every home and broadband will become like dial up. With that said the CEO was right in saying that in a couple of years it will be great. So my answer is yes for now, no in a couple of years.

SithLordKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SithLordKiller

Long answer: The PS3 has some great technology in it: blue ray, hd, flash drives, but those technologies are not used greatly or at all today, so in today's world the PS3 is over-engineered. However, it has been stated, more times than even the cell can count, that the PS3 is for the future; when HDTV's will be in every home and broadband will become like dial up. With that said the CEO was right in saying that in a couple of years it will be great. So my answer is yes for now, no in a couple of years.

ajamjkm

but you failed to answer the following question. Is the PS3 over-sexed?

myxylplyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 myxylplyx
Member since 2003 • 519 Posts
[QUOTE="ajamjkm"]

SithLordKiller

but you failed to answer the following question. Is the PS3 over-sexed?

I think so, mine won't leave me alone.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

no it's not over engineered.

(to the CEO) go back and work on that FF13 and FF13 Versus you hypocrite.

He's just whining because SE incurred losses in profit this fiscal year. The devs for SE should feel shame for him. they can create mind blowing games andthis dude just pi**es all over it. Gamers want innovation and that means games for PS3 (and 360 i guess, if anything it's under engineered with all of it's flaws) not for those quick-back systems like DS.

make good products and the money will come.

bottom-line, FF spirits within and Dirge of Cerberus, i think i said a mouthful, now get back to work!!!.

kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kreestoph
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
obviously wii fans trying to hold back consoles again. 
Avatar image for helloeverybody1
helloeverybody1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 helloeverybody1
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts

Sammyboy2005

Well i dont know they have never even worked with the PS3 or Xbox360 yet (talking about the CEO of SE) in too much detail but with all that tech comes all the potenial, so i think the ps3 has the biggest potenial while systems like Wii will dumb down after a while

but my answer is also yes right now, but give it 1-1.5 years and know one will even thikn about that ever, remember technologyis allways increasing by 1-2 years somethin else may come out that will put the ps3 in the $2 bargin bin

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Developers with this attitude will not be around in a couple of years because there so argent that they don't try to co-operate with the manufactures to develop a game on the console. Rite now Zipper is not only working with Sony but they are working closely with another developer to keep the Socom game alive. Developers like this in time will be the top developers on the consoles.

blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts

No, I don't think it is "over-engineered." I do believe that it is "over-sexed" because it is one damn sexy machine...lolSithLordKiller

I agree

deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

I don't think so. To go foward, we must go foward. If devs would have stopped everytimes there would be difficulty, there would be no 3D games. I made a few 2D games in C++ and I tried to touch 3D. Making a game similar to starfox on SNES was a very high step, and it probably was for every devs who have coded 2D games for years. Now 3D is nothing complex for any devs.

There has ALWAYS been steps, some bigger than others. No one should stop because it gets too complex, because in a matter of time, it will be simple and we'll be trying to get over the next step.

If the industry was made up of people like him, we would be playing Pong or Pac-Man only.

ajamjkm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ajamjkm
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

OH YES! we have a good relation. I never push its buttons too hard and it respects me.

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts

This quote from this developer especially makes no sense. They were the ones to get pissed and stop developing for Nin over some stupid business deal, they were the one that jumped ship to Sony, and they were the ones that raked in massive profit and gained a huge fan base from that move. I think Square/Enix is just scared that they won't be able to sell huge amounts of games this time round cause they think the ps3 isn't going to sell. Of course considering they are a Japanese company looking at the Japanese market and selling games made essentially for that market. So they are trying to come up with an excuse to make shoddy games for the Wii (not that their shoddy in and of themselves, but they wouldn't be as complex as say FFXIII).

The truth is though, if they hadn't ruined their profit by making FFXI an MMO, they would be doing better and they are making FFXIII for ps3 anyways. Intead of trying to insult and anger their fan base and make people feel like they aren't trying to make the best RPG every time, they should continue what they do best (As was already said, look at Spirits Within) and blow our minds.

Sometimes I wonder if the people running these companies even play video games.

GloverD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 GloverD
Member since 2004 • 1555 Posts
Wii Fan... WHat What???
deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

This quote from this developer especially makes no sense. They were the ones to get pissed and stop developing for Nin over some stupid business deal, they were the one that jumped ship to Sony, and they were the ones that raked in massive profit and gained a huge fan base from that move. I think Square/Enix is just scared that they won't be able to sell huge amounts of games this time round cause they think the ps3 isn't going to sell. Of course considering they are a Japanese company looking at the Japanese market and selling games made essentially for that market. So they are trying to come up with an excuse to make shoddy games for the Wii (not that their shoddy in and of themselves, but they wouldn't be as complex as say FFXIII).

The truth is though, if they hadn't ruined their profit by making FFXI an MMO, they would be doing better and they are making FFXIII for ps3 anyways. Intead of trying to insult and anger their fan base and make people feel like they aren't trying to make the best RPG every time, they should continue what they do best (As was already said, look at Spirits Within) and blow our minds.

Insane00

The mind of SE's CEO does not equal the mind of everyone in SE. I recall the last time we heard SE talk about FFXIII, praising the PS3's Cell and Blu-ray, it was the FFXIII team, not SE's CEO. The later probably doesn't know much about video games.

sdkingsht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#27 sdkingsht
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

over engineered = "we're too lazy to figure out how to unlock it's full potential." i read that article. that CEO is an idiot. the Xbox360 and PS3 both are more advanced than the Wii and stronger but that's a challenge. this is basically a programmer saying "waaaah waaaaaaah it's too hard!."

who cares. there are plenty of developers who aren't affraid to unlock the power of the next Gen.

it's not over anything. if anything the PS3 is OVERDO for some great games. and those are on the way. there's no such thing as too sexy lol. i look forward to the engineers and game studios who see the PS3 as a challenge and want to be the first to unlock it's power.

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts
[QUOTE="Insane00"]

deadkingdg

The mind of SE's CEO does not equal the mind of everyone in SE. I recall the last time we heard SE talk about FFXIII, praising the PS3's Cell and Blu-ray, it was the FFXIII team, not SE's CEO. The later probably doesn't know much about video games.

That is the feeling I get. Square Enix's CEO is looking at ps3 sales and where the majority of their profit has come from in the last few years and going !#$#$%#@@$ what are we gonna do? How are we gonna make a profit. Bet everyone, and I mean everyone (including myself) is jumping the gun on the how well is ps3 doing question. It doesn't deserve to be asked right now. Once S/E produces a quality RPG (DQ is not quality IMO, but an exercise in redundance) for the new generation then they can start spouting opinions about Sony's newest system. If they gat that far and the thing still isn't selling, I may listen, but right now all we are listening to is an overly paranoid, over rated accountants opinions about a culture that he understands very little about and what he does know is probably limited to an asian outlook.

Like I said go back to what your good at, making games, not judging hardware standards.